Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-05, 04:35 PM   #1
Scott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Scott
Default Topwater Fishing

I went fishing around 6 o'clock this morning at caught a couple of really small 8 in. long bass on texas rigged plastic worms. I saw some guy using a chugger type of plastic frog and landed four or five good bass. I am going topwater fishing early mornings for about the next two weeks. I noticed that when I got there (a reservoir) that everything was calm. About 9 o'clock it got really choppy. What should I use about going for these bass? All I have right know is a Strike King Red w/ red blade buzzbait, a white buzzbait w/ nickel blade, and a Jitterbug in a frog color. What should I use for the calm water, and what should I use for the choppier waters? The water clarity is somewhat murky. Should I throw this lure close to cover, overhanging branches? Thanks
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 05:22 PM   #2
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy
Default Re: Topwater Fishing

Any chop to the water is nice when top water fishing,
I'd say that when the water got a chop to it the buzzbait would be good, wheres if its real still try the Jitterbug
Problems with this advise (above) is that either can catch bass under both conditions LOL
Trial and error...give em both a try, but I prefer the buzzbait way over most
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 06:42 PM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I'm with JB-the buzzbait when choppy, the jitterbug when still, but don't be afraid to experiment.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 08:46 PM   #4
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

i use hula poppers when its windy.
Old 06-25-05, 09:28 PM   #5
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fastcat

I like to use a Devil horsewhen the water is a little choppy..... But try a Zara Spook when the water is calm..... You might want to pick up one at wal-mart next time your there.........
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 10:11 PM   #6
buzzb8er
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to buzzb8er

In my limited experience, what was suggested above has worked for me as well. You also might want to look into purchasing a Rapala Skitterpop. It is a popper but it also "walks the dog" really well. Caught my biggest bass with it when the topwater bite was on.
buzzb8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 10:19 PM   #7
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Chug Bugs also work really well for me.......
Old 06-25-05, 10:48 PM   #8
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I just lost my chugbug last week :'(
this brittle crap for line I got broke it off during a wicked cast...
I had the tranlucent one with a red mouth..I reallly like that in a topwater, looks like shad scattering if it has a slight blue paint on the back
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 10:56 PM   #9
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

I take no chances loosing my chug bug.......... thats why I use Power Pro........... I would suggest it cause it wont break in a bad cast ( who hasent had that happen to them before ???) and it is easy to fix a backlash with.... And it wont break has no memory and casts great............ I keep two chug bugs in case I tie one on my mono rod.............
Old 06-26-05, 12:32 AM   #10
fishwitch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishwitch

for big top waters like i use when specaled trout fishin a 6'6-7 foot rod with 20 lb big game never broke 1 off inna cast and 17 lb spyder wire xxx mono for my spincasters
fish the buzz baits inn close as u can to cover even bump it into somthin
fishwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-05, 12:58 AM   #11
j-luttru
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to j-luttru

My 5 favorite topwater baits are as follows:

1.) Buzzbait
2.) Scum Frog (not generally used for open water)
3.) Rapala Skitterpop (can get it to "pop" or "skitter" or even "walk the dog" )
4.) Torpedoe
5.) Spook

All can be deadly under the right conditions, normally I don't throw topwaters under sunny conditions (unless I see schooling bass in open waters), cloudier days or early morning or late evening seem to be prime time for most of these baits (other than the Scum Frog, which works well through the scum or weeds on sunny or cloudy days)

I have caught nice bass on choppy water (but not TOO choppy) with buzzbaits,spooks,skitterpops, and torpedoes but would recommend a buzzbait with a "clacker" on the blade for murkier waters and white or chartruese for the skirt color, as well as a trailer hook as in murkier waters bass can tend to short strike the buzzbait sometimes. Experiment with retrieve speed as well as I have definitely noticed some days they like it fast and some days they like it slow (slow as in just fast enough to keep it on top of the water, or have even had to slow it down to where it is actually under the water making a wake to get them to hit). As in most bass fishing conditions, throwing close to good cover is definitely preferred.

Good luck experimenting! Hope you catch a HAWG!!
j-luttru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-05, 12:39 PM   #12

I like the jitterbug early and late in the day. The low light and stillness plays into the action of it. I like to work it at an angle across a point, along a shoreline, and near stumps and submergedcover. I also like the chug bug for openings in grass and stumps/cover. This time of year the bass are starting to slow down and get slugish so if you are throwing a buzz-bait and they are missing it you can slow it down or go to the others. I hope I could help, Good Luck!
Old 06-26-05, 09:45 PM   #13
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Another option is to put on a soft-plastic jerkbait, like a Slug-go , and twitch it fast so that it darts across the top and just under the surface.

Great for choppy water when the buzzbaits fail.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-05, 09:47 PM   #14
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

I caught 2 on a Super Fluke today...................... But I didnt twich them fast cause they wanted a long pause.... Just try things and see what the fish want

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.