Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-05, 10:54 PM   #1
RACKMASTER00
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RACKMASTER00
Default flippin and pi

I was hoping that some would could help me out with some pitchin advice as far as what type of rod and reel they might use. Â*I currently am using a 6'6" medium heavy, fast action Shimano rod with a Shimano Curado 200BSF reel. Â*The specs on the reel are 6.2:1 gear ratio and 5 bearings. Â*I can't get the line to come off of the spool once i try to pitch a bait. I tried to loosen the magnets and that didn't seem to help. Â*Any help on this problem of mine would be greatly appreciated.
RACKMASTER00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 10:57 PM   #2
jason
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jason
Default Re: flippin and pi

hmmm flipping u should already have a pre set amount of line already out, with the spool engaged, flipping is really a short cast technique.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 11:31 PM   #3
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

What weight lure are you using? Maybe its too light. Only thing I can think of.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 11:49 PM   #4
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I have several of those reels, and if you mean that you want it to free spool to flip with only, that will mean you have to open the left side and adjust all brakes off, pull those red caps up , if that takes the brake off, look in your manual, I set mine so long ago I forget lol
then usually I set the line drop adjustment on the right side as loose as possible, without falling off the threads,
then I tie on a 1/2 ounce or 3/8th ounce jig and try to flip with it,
remember not to have a full spool of line , stop when there is about 1/8 inch of spool left, mines gold plated so its easy to view,
Now , remember all your easing in the water and stopping of the bait are IN YOUR THUMB
If your not constantly aware of the mechanics of the flip or even a gentle pitch of 1-15 ft, your going to backlash.
If you want to use that same reel later for any wieghted lure, ya need to put on 2 of the brakes and leave the others off, and adjust the line drop so that the bait falls 8 inches or so and stops when ya hold your rod up at a 45 degree angle,
just keep in mine your thumb does all the feathering on the spool, the harder you try to throw the more chances you'll speed up that spool and the line will birdsnest on ya 8)
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 11:58 PM   #5
RACKMASTER00
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks alot for all of that info. i glaced over the manuel that came with it and it didn't do even half as good of a job of describing it as you did. I will give it a shot and let you know how it works out, thanks again
Old 06-02-05, 12:34 AM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

I wouldn't take all the brakes off, I would leave 2 on. The main thing for me, is the spool tention knob must be loosened to free drop. The brakes don't hurt you on the pitch at all, but will help with the backlashing. But as JB said, keep your thumb on the spool, or just off of it, and apply pressure just before the bait is gonna hit. If your new to it like me, it takes some practice to get it down, but I proved to myself it is an effective technique.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 11:52 PM   #7
RACKMASTER00
BassFishin.Com Member

well i tried it with the breaks off and with 2 of them on. Found that i can control it a little better with the breaks on. I was able to pitch a lot better although i still need a lot of practice. Thanks for all of the help ;D
Old 06-08-05, 12:21 AM   #8
bronzebackguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bronzebackguy

loosen your spool tensioner(the knob next to the star drag), the brakes are for the end of your cast, also try a longer rod like 7'6"
bronzebackguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.