Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-05, 06:27 PM   #1
Scott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Scott
Default I need major help with spinning gear!

I just bought my first spinning rod/reel combo. I need to know how to get the line on the little metal bar thingy. Also tell me everything else i need to know about spinning gear!! Please Help!!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-05, 06:33 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: I need major help with spinning gear!

well, if you have mastered the spin caster, you can master the spinning reel. those spincasters are confusing...lol. anyways, that metal bar thingy is called a bail. you open the bail(you know how right?) by pulling it back. then you tie your line around the spool, then close the bail, hold the line tight, and start reeling it on. dont forget to thread the line thru the guides first. when casting, just take your pointer finger and hold the line on the rod and open the bail, then while sweeping the rod forward to cast, let go with your pointer finger allowing the line to fly out. make sure the bail is all the way open. it will take some practice, but it is easy to get the hang of.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-05, 06:40 PM   #3
Scott
BassFishin.Com Member

How do you get it to cast out though? It is prespooled. Do you just go from spool through eyes or what?
Old 05-19-05, 06:45 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

first off all, take that factory sh*t line off. that stuff is no good. spool it up with some good power pro or a good mono. but if you do not want to take it off, open the bail, and just start taking line off and guide it thru the guides. what brand of spinning gear did you get?
Old 05-19-05, 07:10 PM   #5
Scott
BassFishin.Com Member

Since this is my first spinning rod and reel i found one on clearance at a local store for $10.00. It's brand is South Bend.
Old 05-19-05, 07:20 PM   #6
Scott
BassFishin.Com Member

I tried what ya said and it didn't work ??? How do you get the line onto the bail to reel in?
Old 05-19-05, 07:22 PM   #7
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Open the bail and put the line through the eyelets, then tie on a hook and bobber or a lure.
Close the bail
When you go out fishing next time, and when you're ready to cast, open the bail while holding the line with your finger. As your cast , pull the rod back, then as your go forward with the casting motion let go of the line.
Either close the bail with your hand or just start reeling.
There is probably an antireverse button on it that makes the spool go backwards or forwards, esp handy for big lunkers are burning up your drag.
Dont use it though, if your a beginner have it set so that the spool only wraps, not unwraps too 8)
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-05, 07:28 PM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

its really not hard at all!!! guide line thru guides, open bail, tie line around the spool, close bail, hold line taught, reel till spool is full. what reel do you have(brand name)
Old 05-19-05, 07:30 PM   #9
Scott
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all of your helb bassfisher and JB. I really apprieciate it. Thanks Again!!
Old 05-19-05, 07:31 PM   #10
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

what reel do you have???
Old 05-19-05, 07:35 PM   #11
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

When ever ya get around to putting new line on that reel dont put to much on or it will jump off and coil up the first couple times ya use it.
I usually keep about 1/8th inch left on the spool instead of wrapping it all the way full
Every line acts dif too...some have memory and coil up alot , you'll have to figure what line to use, for the beginer I'd use a big ol spool of shakespere and then graduate to something more "bass popular" like stren or trilean or all the others.....
Old 05-19-05, 07:55 PM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=JB link=board=news;num=1116538079;start=0#10 date=05/19/05 at 18:35:16]When ever ya get around to putting new line on that reel dont put to much on or it will jump off and coil up the first couple times ya use it.
I usually keep about 1/8th inch left on the spool instead of wrapping it all the way full
Every line acts dif too...some have memory and coil up alot , you'll have to figure what line to use, for the beginer I'd use a big ol spool of shakespere and then graduate to something more "bass popular" like stren or trilean or all the others.....[/quote]

I must like you since I keep responding to your posts JB :-* Actually I prefer to leave a little more than 1/8 probably in between 1/8 and a 1/4 because of the problem you mentioned. Saves time, since I don't have to cut off the overspooling efect, keeping just a little less on the reel really doesn't affect it at all.

By the way rrw425890564321789,

the reel is on the bottom on a spinning reel/rod combo. You hold the rod up towards your face, and the reel faces you feet :

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-05, 08:02 PM   #13
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards you are right, I questioned my self even as I typed 1/8th, but hell most cant read a tape so wtf lol

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.