Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-05, 09:56 PM   #1
don_P
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to don_P
Default frog on moss

I bought a frog plastic bait at Gander Mt. yesterday,I went to a farm pond tonight and it was alot of fun to fish.I had about 8 fish blow up on it from under the moss
I hooked two of them but I never got to see them before
I got them to the boat because they got off,but it was still fun.I was on the otherside of the pond and getting ready to leave and I was wondering what would happen
if I fished on the very edge of the moss in the water,So
I rowed the boat over to the spot where the fish were
most active and threw it outside of the moss on the edge..second cast I caught on a 14 inch lg mouth,yeah I
know its nothing to write home about...but to me I just
gained a new confidence bait (a new weapon) I have to give JB the credit we were fishing out here last week
and we talked about fishing moss and I saw him doing
it ;D well goodnight all Denny
don_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-05, 10:03 PM   #2
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty
Default Re: frog on moss

Yeah a Snagproof Tournament Frog is one of my confidence lures. A frog or rat is probably my most used lure for summertime bassin.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-05, 10:08 PM   #3
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

never tried anything like that, but i might now.
Old 05-16-05, 10:39 PM   #4
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie

I love seeing bass burst though the moss!!!
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-05, 11:01 PM   #5
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

somebody post of pic of this moss yall speak of. when i read moss, I think moss on an oak tree.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-05, 11:05 PM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

its this nasty green looking stuff in the water. when you pull it out it is slimy and gooey. couldnt find a pic :-/
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-05, 11:06 PM   #7
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

we call that snot grass
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-05, 11:07 PM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

yes, thats another name for it.
Old 05-17-05, 01:53 AM   #9
bronzebackguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bronzebackguy

if you think that is fun wait till the topwater bite turns on really heavy, on friday evening we got into a bunch of small mouth that were hitting poppers and it was so much fun watching them explode out of the water and send my bait flying, and to see the same fish hit a bait 5 or six times
bronzebackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 07:02 AM   #10
don_P
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah it was fun.I tried different retrieves.I cant wait to fish this around some lay downs.Yeah the moss was
THICK!! I think thats why the bass got off before I got them to the boat,I felt them on there but no dice.Ive really grown to love top water fishing alot. Im going to
J Percy Preist Lake on vaction in a few months maybe give here a try down there in Tennesse ;D. takecare
Denny
Old 05-17-05, 08:34 AM   #11
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

Denny,

Next time u use your frog try not to set the hook so fast. If you give it a few seconds after they take it, you can hook em and bring them in!!

Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 09:12 AM   #12
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Mousin' or froggin ain't for the weak at heart. That explosion will startle the crap outa ya lol
I went out to the pond but missed ya Denny...heres a pic

[img] http://www.reith.ca/iotd/2004-img/20040417.jpg [/img]
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 06:34 PM   #13
don_P
BassFishin.Com Member

that looks like gew from a nuclear test lab or someone needs more fiber.....lol.Im kidding I bet there some hogs
under there....and for the new people a hog is a bass,a
very very large bass,yes there is 2 one on the farm..onk
onk..and one in the pond....lol lol lol.
Denny
Old 05-17-05, 06:42 PM   #14
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

that pic does look like a nuclear run off area. that isnt the moss(snot grass) i had in mind. that looks more like a swamp. is that the moss you were talkin about denny?
Old 05-17-05, 07:28 PM   #15
HulaPopr
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

A good trick to do if you are fishin with a frog on the moss and are getting a lot of bites but can't get them in is to take a large tube with salt, bright color(I prefer white) and set it up texas style then drag it across the moss, the good thing about it is I won't get hung up plus it's big so it draws attention and it can go under the water when you pull is off the moss in case a fish is following. Also but some weight on it so it makes a bigger thud across the moss. I promise you will hook more of them than you would with a ruber frog!! Fish is the same as you would a frog. Let me know if u try and how you do.
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 07:32 PM   #16
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

what is the difference? the bass cant see the bait from under the moss, all they know is something is up there, thats why alot of times you dont really get a hook up because they dont know what it is, and are just stunning whatever is up there so they can come back and get it. thats why if you throw anything in the hole it made, you will probally get that fish. if you put a few BB'S in the frog, then when you pull it off the moss, it will sink, giving a bass in the area a good chance to get it.
Old 05-17-05, 07:42 PM   #17
HulaPopr

The difference is it is a lot easier to hook a bass using a t-style bait than using a plastic frog that is hooked up ridiculsly weedless. If they don't know the difference then why not use a piece of bark with a hook on it?
Old 05-17-05, 07:44 PM   #18
HulaPopr

Also if you use salt bait then it gives you abetter chance of a second strike if you happen to miss the first!
Old 05-17-05, 07:46 PM   #19
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

anything will work. they cant see thru moss, they hear it, and see vibrations from it. so anything relitively small, and puts out vibrations and noise, will get a hit. in some cases it is easier to hook a bass with a t-rig, but you have to remember, on frogs, there are 2 hooks, and neither one is imbedded in the bait.

BTW, welcome to the site.
Old 05-17-05, 07:49 PM   #20
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

like i said before, most times, the bass are stunning whatever is on top of the moss or whatever. they dont know if it something they can eat, so they stun it, and sometimes they just go ahead and try to eat it. but when the bass blows up on the water, it creates that hole, and if you toss anything down there, like a worm or tube, they think that is what they blew up on, and they will more then likely strike it. but salt does help, it will attract them if the bass dont want to go for second shot, and will help the bass hold on just a bit longer.
Old 05-17-05, 07:49 PM   #21
HulaPopr

Thanks I appreciate it!
I have found that in a lot of case there are small breaks in the moss where I am sure that the fish has seen threw it. and it seems that the brighter salty ones have gotten me many more bites then ones that aren't
Old 05-17-05, 07:53 PM   #22
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

it has worked for me to. im not trying to say that what you are saying doesnt work, i know it does, im just saying that when fishing mats, you have a variety of baits, and really, almost anything that floats will work(lures that is)
Old 05-17-05, 08:04 PM   #23
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

YOu can also use frogs on mats, such as milfoil and hydrilla. The mats on Guntersville that you always see the pros catching bass out of with a frog are mostly milfoil.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 09:32 PM   #24
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

IMHO herefishy is correct. As for a Bass stunning and then coming back, well that has definately not been my experience, and I must say I fish mats a whole lot. It's my preferred way to fish. The bass is trying to eat whatever it is not stun it. That's why the come through the mat and GRAB it. If you feel the fish, and can keep the initial kneejerk away from yanking on the line, then there is no doubt a t-rigged plastic will put more fish in the boat than a frog. Ask anyone who has fished them about hookup ratios, which are very, very low. The main reason the hookups are so low, is the design that makes them weedless, also make it difficult to get a good hookset, especially through the tough plastic that makes up the frog. By the way almost every pro who uses them makes modifications to help with hooksets. I personally use a lizard(imagine that), so when it does hit open holes, it's a bait that already works. It also gives off more vibrations from the tail and legs, when just dragged across the water or mat. Frogs do bring magnificent strikes, but so do anything else hopped on mats. Because as 02 stated, they can't see it, they are tracking by sound/vibrations. They don't care what it is either, they just know it's moving so it's FOOD. A bass will eat anything that moves IMO, some better than others. And yes a piece of treebark will work, but the bass won't hold on to it for long, and making it weedless on a mat would be a little tough. You can also add rattles to it if you want. Put plenty of scent/cooking spray to help it slide on the mats. Don't get me wrong, I've caught a lot of fish on frogs, but I've caught a awful lot more on using a t-rigged plastic the same as a frog.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 10:14 PM   #25
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Denny spanked my arse again tonight
WE went back froggin on the moss and I went back to my technique of a black shad culprit with this obnoxious purple weight, 1/2 ounce, just to get the moss to move more.
WE started out with the frog , and outa nowhars Denny hooks a real nice one, it came to the boat liveless with moss alll over its face, but once Denny cleaned the moss of it went wild!
It bite him!
poor basterd lol
anyways, no hookups for me, I opted to sink the worm in pockets of Â* open water where previous "Blowups" had occured, had couple strikes but came out empty.
It was still a nice night, I started it out by teaching a 13 year old how to bait cast , and he got the hang of it real fast.
Then took a nice ride on my new bike (new to me, its a 82 Kaw.)
At least the bass seem to be biting , everyone at the big lakes here at talking good things..last couple days its been the worm that is working...lot of guys here use the Berekly power worm, I havent really heard this group Yak about them, I use them a lot, just trying to use up this huge grocery bag of culprit packs my sister gave me last yeare lol 8)
Denny , if your reading I found 3 Soilwork CDs and have Figure#5 playin..can ya hear it??
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.