Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-05, 06:31 PM   #1
jason
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jason
Default i need a reel

hey guys thanks for the advice but unfortunately i still cant get the damn gl2 flippin stick retractable butt thing to come out, i pulled and pulled but nothing. Anyway i need a good reel for my new pole, im looking to spend no more than 200 but if any one knows of a more expensive reel but really worth the price ill make an exception . thanks
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-05, 06:39 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: i need a reel

did u try to push it in? it could work. anyways are u lookin for a baitcaster or a spinning reel? i am a spinning guy so i would recomend a pflueger trion spinning reel. they are real durable and all in all are a good reel for the money imo
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-05, 07:20 PM   #3
jason
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jason

im looking for a baitcasting reel
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-05, 09:00 PM   #4
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If Your Going To Get A Bait Caster I Recomend A Abu Garcia ;D
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-05, 10:29 PM   #5
PackerBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to PackerBasser

daiwa millionaire cvx or cvz have both been excellent reels for me. cast great,and a good drag system.very smooth
PackerBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-05, 10:31 PM   #6
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i agree with nick a torno ambassador reel would be a good reel. but i use quantums more than the ambassador a energy series reel would be better imo. the x-metal is right at 2bills.-not that i an crazy enough to even buy a g-loomis rod. let alone pay that kind of money for a over rated rod.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 12:10 AM   #7
inland27
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to inland27

I never liked a thumb bar until I warmed up to a Curado. It has a very low profile so you don't accidentally trip the spool on hooksets. It's not just me because at least eight of ten serious anglers (multiple rods) that I see in my travels use them. I've got five rigged up in the boat. Just for the record I too own two of the Pflueger Trions. I agree that for the money they're hard to beat. I feel the same way about the Curado.

On a side note, what did people do when baitcasters were primarily right handed? It feels natural to reel a baitcaster with my right hand, but when I drop down under the rod with a spin lash-up it's got to be a left hand retrieve. That's how it's always been until all this flipping around started. Not sure where I'm going with this, but I always get a chuckle out of a person with a left hand retrieve on his bait caster. Reminds me of the kids who use to crank their spinning reels upside down and backwards. Whatever feels right as long as your fishing.

Boldt
inland27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 01:09 AM   #8
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

Pflueger. Any one of them.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 01:12 AM   #9
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Lots of reels will get the job done. I'm partial to Abu Garcia personally, but just get a nice fast reel with good cranking power.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 09:22 AM   #10
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Humboldt, Why is your thumb still on the thumb bar ? Every one I fish with have two fingers wrapped around in front of the rod handle trigger, and two wrapped behind it with your thumb resting on top of the reel.You have the best control that way in my opinion. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 09:36 AM   #11
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Imege, Buy a shimano ,everybody else does that likes to spend more money because " they are the Best ". You can truely get a great reel, the Bass pro shop Johnny morris reels are as smooth as anything else on Earth. But you are the one that really has to decide what you like, no one else can decide for you,we can make recomend what we feel is best for you.Get that flipping stick back and exchanged for a new one ,but you may want to call the rod company first.I had a 1 peice G-Loomis rod ,but never a retractable so for some unknown reason ,there might be a trick to them that no one knows about. P N J
Old 02-20-05, 02:12 PM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=imege8 link=board=news;num=1108848696;start=0#0 date=02/19/05 at 16:31:36]hey guys thanks for the advice but unfortunately i still cant get the damn gl2 flippin stick retractable butt thing to come out, i pulled and pulled but nothing. Anyway i need a good reel for my new pole, im looking to spend no more than 200 but if any one knows of a more expensive reel but really worth the price ill make an exception . thanks [/quote]

I really won't give much opinion yet on baitcaster, however I will say if your rod if defective send it back. You paid for the 7'6" retractable rod, and it doesn't work. That's too much money to spend on a defective rod. I would say this about the reel you buy. You are obviously using this for pitchin/flippin. So a $200 reel isn't neccessary. All of the bells and whistles don't amount much for pitchin/flippin. Casting distance is pretty much irrelevant. Get a reel designed for pitchin/flippin. Not one designed for cranking, or worming.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 04:52 PM   #13
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards, The rod only listed at $165.00 at Bass pro shop. ;D P N J
Old 02-20-05, 06:16 PM   #14
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

BPS Extremes are some pretty sweet reels for any use.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 12:51 AM   #15
inland27
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to inland27

PNJ

I've been battling adult salmon and steelhead with 8 or 10 pound test and a light drag for over 30 years. Your thumb is a major portion of your drag and without it buried into your spool, you won't have much success. Some habits are second nature, but I find myself using the sort of grip you've described when I'm after bass because the line weight and fish weight or more closely matched and therefore the reel can be used more as designed. Thanks for your concern. Always like to hear a suggestion and help answer any questions.

Boldt
inland27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 02:52 AM   #16
wylie_cope
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to wylie_cope

If its for your flippin stick, you cannot go wrong with the shimano castaic, they just came out with the new super free model, that reel is built for flippen and pitching... I really think its worth a look. I think its price around 170???Its a shimano, its worth it.
wylie_cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 05:32 AM   #17
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

Well,
Ask 1000 fisherman what type of reel they like and you will get 1000 different answers. I mean look at it, just in this post we have Abu Garcia, Phlueger, Bass Pro Shops, Shimano, and on and on and on and on. If you are buying the reel for a specific purpose, such as pitching or flipping, then go with a reel that is designed for that method of fishing. You don't need a reel that is designed to cast long distances, or a reel with a high gear ratio. I am not going to downplay anyones suggestion for a reel. If thats what they like, then thats what they like, I have my own personal preferences, and thats what works for me. I agree that the castaic, by shimano is a great reel, for what you are looking for, it is moderately priced, with a lifetime warranty. It would probably be my number one choice. Good fishing.
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 09:38 AM   #18
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

I like Shimano alot. I would recommend Shimano Curado.

Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 10:29 AM   #19
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Humbolt, I'm a natural right hander. I do all my casting right handed. With a baitcaster I switch hands, usually while the bait is still in the air, and "palm" the reel in my left hand while retrieving with my right. With a spinning reel, I cast with my right hand and retrieve with my left.

I don't know if you call that a right handed or a left handed reel.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 12:55 PM   #20
fishin_hillbilly
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishin_hillbilly

hey personaly i think you definatly should not go with a shimano people may think they are the best reels made anywhere well thats a fluke because my experianc with shimano has been horible but if you want a quality reel i would go with a quantum x-metal or team diawa makes a very good reel speshily dezined for flippin and i think you are crazy to pay that much for a rod lol
fishin_hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 03:08 PM   #21
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

[quote author=fish_kid_14 link=board=news;num=1108848696;start=0#19 date=02/21/05 at 10:55:46]hey personaly i think you definatly should not go with a shimano people may think they are the best reels made anywhere well thats a fluke because my experianc with shimano has been horible but if you want a quality reel i would go with a quantum x-metal or team diawa makes a very good reel speshily dezined for flippin and i think you are crazy to pay that much for a rod Â* Â* Â* lol[/quote]

First off, I have never heard of anyone, anywhere, haveing a bad experience with Shimano anything. If you did, then that was the fluke.

Second, PUT A FRIGGING PERIOD OR SOMETHING IN YOUR POSTS.
Thats why the punctuation keys are on the keyboard.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 09:33 PM   #22
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishy2002

Image8, I was just recently looking for a reel to go on my Kistler flippin stick and considered Shimano and Pfleuger as both are fine reels(especially the president ), but I wound up getting the Team Daiwa Advantage6.3:1. I have been a Daiwa fan for a long time for my baitcasters(I use Shimano spinning reels)and was having trouble wanting to spend $200.00 for a reel, especially for flipping! Then I found Daiwa finally made a decent reel in the$100 category so I snapped it up and I am pleased with it so far. It is smooth, just the right palming size and both pitches and casts very well. If you are considering the Curado try this one out as you may find you like the fit and feel of it better, as I did. The palm fit was the seller for me, as the weight and smoothness was about the same(Curado and Advantage).The Pfleuger President was the smoothest but a little larger in the hand. I usd to flip with an ABU 4500 but it was to large to be comfortable to palm for hours so that is now the #1 feature I consider when looking for a flipping reel. Try each reel, ON A ROD, before buying! Happy shopping. ;D
gonefishy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 11:50 PM   #23
grandbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to grandbass

I second the Shimano Castaic. It has the super free mechanism which is incredibly smooth, but it also has a flipping switch which will make a great combo with the Loomis flipping stick.
grandbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 12:11 AM   #24
bassmaster111
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster111

go with pflueger
bassmaster111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 02:17 PM   #25
Mr.Wiffle
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mr.Wiffle

I use curados. I have 4 in left hand retrieve. I have used both left and right handed baitcasters and they are both good. I have found that with the left hand retrieve you have a much higher hook setting percentage becasue it is your strong arm holding the rod. I have improved my force in a hook set by 30% over the right hand retrieve. It may look goofy at first but when you sit and think about it your strong hand is always that best arm to have the rod in. It may look wierd but I will challenge my hookset agianst anybody with the rod in their other hand. Curado's are the best for your buck.
Mr.Wiffle is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.