Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-05, 05:42 PM   #1
bassmistress
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmistress
Default What do you guys think. . .

I was planing to bottom bonce a plastic, because I figure it is cooler around 7:00 am so I should start out slow. Then around 10:00am Caroline rig with lizards, worms. then around 1:00pm switch back to bottom bouncing rigs, or drop shot.

Or should I really scope out the area with the Carolina then switch it to bottom bouncing.

Just trying to get last minute pointers before I go. I need to get this monkey off my back.

-BassinFreak#1-
bassmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-05, 07:44 PM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: What do you guys think. . .

How about giving us a little more info, such as air, and water temps, water clarity, weather conditions, what type of cover/structure you are gonna fish. In your signature it says LA so I'm guessing if it's about first light around that time(probably been daylight for a hour or 2) topwater wouldn't be a bad choice. Cooler is relative to where you are. If the water temps are in the 70's or higher, then topwater can definately work well.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-05, 07:45 PM   #3
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Sounds like a plan to me!
At least stick to that schedule and get back with us.
Everyone trys to plan out a routine but if no bites happen they soon give up hope and quit instead of trying to figure it out..
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-05, 08:28 PM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Sounds good to me, too. Only thing I would do different is add a topwater or buzzbait early.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 11:10 AM   #5
bassmistress
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks to everyone who replied. Lizards and Rebasser you guys where right about the top water. I had never seen fish jump over here like they did but they were. When I saw that I switch over to a buzzbait-which now I think was a bad choice- I should have switch to a surface plug. I think the bass still wanted to look at the bait a little longer than they were given the oppurtunity to.

Anyway I did not catch Bass that day. Or for the past year and a half. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
I also did not know how to fish in the circumstances I was in. There was alot of algee on the bottom. There was so much freaking algee that it was growing on the hydrilla. Sometimes it would be growing up to 4 feet from the bottom of the surface. I know that the locals and probably everyone else use the drop shot there at that lake, it is the most highly recommended one to use.
I used it with the recommended colors green or purple worms. Nothing. The fish where right there looking at my bait but they would not take it. Yes the water was very clear. I used 8 pound P-line Flouraclear, so I know they were not spooked by the line. We rented a boat with one of those extremly loud engines that we had to turn on from time to time because of the wind.

The problem with the algee was that it would ruin my presentation more often than not. Right around twevle there was no more bass, I am sure that was due to the waterskiers and boaters.

Anyway I need your guys help. I am sure all of you have way more experience than I do. If it were up to me I would fish every day but I am a student and work and can berely fit fishing when I can.

Thanks for listen to my :'(
-sadBassinFreak#1-
Old 05-23-05, 11:53 AM   #6
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

If your finding grass I guesss the next step would be a rat L trap run along the tops of the grass, or try to find a 3-5 ft drop or 5-7 ft depth where the weeds quit growing and target that area...most fish that live deeper than the banks come up for food but can be found where the weeds quit growing and a mud bottom is present...its worth a try! ???
Old 05-23-05, 12:06 PM   #7
bassmistress
BassFishin.Com Member

Ya I was thinking I should try a cranck bait of some sort next time. What type of rod would you recommend for that JB.

-BassinFreak#1-
Old 05-23-05, 12:13 PM   #8
bassguy2004

I use a 7' rod with a medium action for crankbaits. The soft tip allows the rod to work the fish.
Old 05-23-05, 02:57 PM   #9
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

If you really want to feel every wobble of a crankbait get a glass rod, but prob most in here will tell you a 6 or 6ft 6 inch rod,
I use any rod for cranking, am more concerned with the reel speed than anything
Old 05-24-05, 12:09 AM   #10
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=JB link=board=news;num=1116535344;start=0#8 date=05/23/05 at 13:57:45]If you really want to feel every wobble of a crankbait get a glass rod, but prob most in here will tell you a 6 or 6ft 6 inch rod,
I use any rod for cranking, am more concerned with the reel speed than anything[/quote]

JB,

What the heck is that new Avatar, man you're scaring me more and more everyday

Well, good suggestion from JB, and if the bite is that tough, I would go back to my alltime favorite weightless plastics. But I think that perhaps, bassguy2004 is holding out on you. He fishes in CA, and from everything I can tell, he's a heck of a fisherman. Since I've never fished in CA, I would take any advice someone from there could give you. It really is amazing some of the little nuances that can make the difference from one lake to another.

Lizards
Old 05-24-05, 12:15 AM   #11
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

BF, I think a weightless plastic might be the ticket in the weeds. Something like a Senko-type bait or a fluke would be my first choice, but a lizard is also an option. They sink slow and rigged weedless allows you to fish the weeds without too much trouble.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 11:07 AM   #12
bassmistress
BassFishin.Com Member

I tried a slow sinking worm but not a senko or a lizard I used a robo worm did not work. Maybe I was just a flippin idoit. I don't know what to do to get a fish, actually I know exactly what to do by the book, not by experience. I need to get out there more and practice, but I need to find the time. I hopefully will be able to go to Castaic lake this weekend, I am going to rent a boat for a couple hours. I have been there on a boat before no success. The areas are pretty rocky, not that much brush, only in certain areas. It is always very windy at Castaic which makes it extra hard to cast past noon. the boat may be anchored and still move with the wind.
Water clarity will probably be medium. It is always hot in that area so I am not sure what the water temp will be. I write all this because if you guys have any tips for these conditions they would be greatly appreciated.

JBWhat reel speed is good for cranking? I have read a 6:1 ratio is good for cranking.

-sadBassinFreak#1-
Old 05-24-05, 11:56 AM   #13
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards ,
that is one of my early photoshop avatar pics lol
I use it on a forum we have here in Eaton Oh.

As for the speed i go with 5-1 or 6-3-1 crankin
Old 05-24-05, 12:55 PM   #14
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

BF,

Around rocks I truly like crawdad imitations. Either cranks, a YUM crawbug, or a PNJ. Around timber a lizard or brush hog is hard to beat. Flukes are also good choices. I wish I could help more, but the fact is you gotta go and find what they want. I have about everything to throw, and if one thing isn't working switch it up. If you catch a fish on a crank or spinnerbait in a area, and then don't catch anything else for awhile, instead of giving up on the spot switch to plastics or slower presentation stuff. Many times you'll get one active fish, but lots are still there, just need a different approach.

Lizards
Old 05-24-05, 01:12 PM   #15
bassmistress
BassFishin.Com Member

I will give that a try most definently. I will even through some of your kind. . .LIZARDS ;D see if it brings me any luck. Thanks. Peace.

-sadBassinFreak#1-

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.