Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-08, 09:43 AM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Luck E' Strike Magic

On a recent fishing expedition, I tried the Luck E' Strike Bass Magics. I used a 5.5 paired with an Owner hook which has a screw in type front. When I reeled in the line and moved the lure, it would sometimes spin completely around. Anyone else have this problem? Do the weighted hooks make any difference?
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 09:59 AM   #2
3dkicker

Haven't had that problem with the weighted hooks. How fast were you retrieving the baits? They roll on me only when I reel them in very quickly.

Did Luck E' Strike change the packaging or add a new line to their swim baits??? Saw some at G. Mt and the packaging was different. Looked like the same swim baits.
Old 04-10-08, 11:32 AM   #3
Wishing2BFishing

3d,

I wasn't retrieving quickly at all. In fact, I was working them very slow but even a slight jerk or pull would "roll" the bait over. Perhaps the weighted hooks will act as a keel to keep the bait aligned. I will have to further experiment

As far as the packaging, I got all of mine from BPS and all the packages are the same. Maybe they use different packages for other stores . . . I dunno

As a side note, I do think that these baits have real potential. I just haven't caught anything on them yet.
Old 04-10-08, 04:55 PM   #4
Wishing2BFishing

3d, have you had any luck with these swimbaits? What kinda hook are you using?
Old 04-10-08, 06:00 PM   #5
links_man2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I feel you must use a weighted hook for them. Don't think you will ever be able to rig straight enough not to spin, plus I want them down a little deeper. I like the LFT Swimbait hook in a 7/0 for the 5.5" Bass Magic. Tried 5/0 & 6/0 Owners and added weights, but the gap just wasn't big enough to handle all that plastic. Missed like 5 out of 6 hits on 5/0 & 6/0, just don't miss them with the 7/0. The lft hook is bigger and has a wider gap to handle all that bulk.

Best way I have found to add weight is to use the oblong sinkers with rubber insert. Remove the insert and then squeeze it on the hook.
Old 04-10-08, 07:18 PM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Links beat me to it. If you don't have a weighted hook use a rubber core sinker with the rubber removed. Fished without a weighted hook they will spin on a straight retrieve.
Old 04-10-08, 08:52 PM   #7
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
3d, have you had any luck with these swimbaits? What kinda hook are you using?
Just started playing with them myself. Got a friend who won some money last year using them. I'm using the hooks I got from the Poor Boy's Silly Rabbits I picked up from some custom guys in Richmond this winter (screw in weighted around 5/0).

I'm taking all my swim baits this weekend to get a workout down on Buggs. I plan on tossing them up into the flood bushes and we'll see how they do . Water is 5' above normal pool and it was 82 degrees today, Oh BABY!!!!
Old 04-20-08, 12:08 PM   #8
InEccess

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

3d, I wish I knew you when I lived in Richmond. NONE of my friends fished, so I spent all those High School years with dry line. Interestingly enough, I was in High School while John Crews was in High School... our school districts bordered each other (I actually lived closer to his HS then to mine, but I lived on the wrong side of Hall Street Road) and we never met.
Old 04-20-08, 12:21 PM   #9
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You could try a swivel with a 18-30 inch leader to reduce the tumbling, see if that helps
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 03:07 PM   #10
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Did Luck E' Strike change the packaging or add a new line to their swim baits??? Saw some at G. Mt and the packaging was different. Looked like the same swim baits.

"Shadalicious" and "Bass Magic" both look the same and are made by Luck E Strike. Any differences other than the packaging?

Also threw the 4.5" baits on Buggs over the bushes but didn't get a bite. Been playing with them a little more but no luck. I'll keep 'em rigged up until I figure them out.

InE - got your PM. I see Crews at the Richmond show each year. Don't know him and have never spoken with him. Had him on my fantasy team last year and he did well for me.

Last edited by 3dkicker; 04-20-08 at 05:33 PM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 04:00 PM   #11
links_man2

3d---Shadalicious is made by Strike King and Bass Magic is made by Luck "E" Strike.
Old 04-20-08, 05:34 PM   #12
3dkicker

Thanks, looked so much like the Luck E Strike baits I thought they were the same bait.
Old 05-19-08, 09:59 PM   #13
Tubeman
BassFishin.Com Member

The rolling over definetely has to do with the weight and rate of retrieve. You have to experiment, if it rolls add more weight. Would love to try some of those LFT hooks, Mustad will have 6/0-8/0 28 degree jig hooks out this summer, right now we are making the 5/0 in a belly weighted screw in hook and the eye needs to be bent to a 45 degree and the hook has to be gapped or opened up to fit our 5" swimbaits.

Mike Nabulsi

www.bassmagnetlures.com
Tubeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.