Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-05, 01:10 PM   #1

Default Army buys Boat?

I am currently deployed in Iraq. I'm planning on buying a new boat when I get back to the states. I'm looking at Ranger Tour Serios right now. I only have online to look into the boats. I fell in love with Rangers when I had a chance to go fishing on one last summer. Are there in thoughts on certain boats I should look into or am I making the right choice?
Old 04-30-05, 01:29 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: Army buys Boat?

Welcome to the forum, Stephen, and thank you for your service!

Sounds like you have your mind made up, and Ranger is a good boat. The things I would keep in mind in selecting one is where you will be fishing-big water, small water, etc. The bigger the water, ideally the bigger the boat you would want. Storage is another factor I kept in mind when I bought mine-not storage in the boat, but storage for the boat. I bought a Nitro a couple of years back mainly because of the trailer-it has a swing away tongue, which shortens it by about 2 1/2 feet which means I can store it in my garage. That is something that many people do not consider, and it can be a much bigger factor than many people think of when buying a boat.

I'll also extend an invite: If you ever get down around San Antonio, Texas and want to get on the water let me know. Y'all are fighting the bad guys over there to keep us safe here. Least I can do it take y'all fishing. And I fish a great lake south of here that is full of bass.

Hope that helps, and why not join the forum? Great bunch of folks and some pretty good bass fishermen here.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-05, 07:41 PM   #3
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

I gotta echo what Rebb said, thanks for everything you have done and are doing in Iraq.

I don't think I have ever heard a bad word said about Ranger boats, so no, I don't think its a bad pick at all. I guess it comes down to what you want to pay for, but if you have already determinded you want a fiberglass bass boat though then either Ranger, or maybe Triton or Stratos are some of the most popular. When I get a new boat (a while from now) I will probably go with an aluminum boat, ironically I like all the War Eagle boats. Maybe I could get them to do one in crimson with grey trim.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-05, 10:04 AM   #4
big_mouth
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to big_mouth

Well thanks for the info. I do wish to become a member and I'll look into it today. It does sound like a bucnh of good fisherman are listing ideas on this site. I cant wait to get home and throw my line in the water. Hey I might take you up on that fishing one day. I might get stationed at Fort Hood which isnt that far away.
big_mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-05, 12:15 PM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

do you get a chance to do any fishing over there? if so, what types of fish do they have? BTW, thanks for everything all of you do over there.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-05, 12:20 PM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

You get stationed at Hood and we are good to go.
Old 05-01-05, 04:03 PM   #7
big_mouth
BassFishin.Com Member

No there is no time to fish. No fun here although what people may think we ARE still at war. So their is a much bigger job to be done. But if there was time to fish I would. Thats all that keeps my sane. So I'll just be crazy till I get back. And reb how is toledo bend. I always wanted to fish there?
Old 05-01-05, 08:48 PM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=MessBoards;num=1114877424;start=0#1 date=04/30/05 at 12:29:20]Welcome to the forum, Stephen, and thank you for your service!

Sounds like you have your mind made up, and Ranger is a good boat. The things I would keep in mind in selecting one is where you will be fishing-big water, small water, etc. The bigger the water, ideally the bigger the boat you would want. Storage is another factor I kept in mind when I bought mine-not storage in the boat, but storage for the boat. I bought a Nitro a couple of years back mainly because of the trailer-it has a swing away tongue, which shortens it by about 2 1/2 feet which means I can store it in my garage. That is something that many people do not consider, and it can be a much bigger factor than many people think of when buying a boat.

I'll also extend an invite: If you ever get down around San Antonio, Texas and want to get on the water let me know. Y'all are fighting the bad guys over there to keep us safe here. Least I can do it take y'all fishing. And I fish a great lake south of here that is full of bass.

Hope that helps, and why not join the forum? Great bunch of folks and some pretty good bass fishermen here.[/quote]

I whole heartedly agree with Reb, THANK YOU AND YOUR FELLOW SOLDIERS

I live in Indiana, so if your ever around the Hoosier state, the trip is on me. I truly can't comment on Ranger, other than lots, and lots of folks swear by them. Personally I like the Triton's, but don't own one. One day maybe, but in the meantime it's my old 16' Aluminum Fisher Marine with a stick steer. Just can't go worng with this boat on smaller waters, but forget about anything with size. Keep on Keeping on, and hope you're all home safe soon

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 09:32 AM   #9
Stan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Stan

welcome bayou...what part of mississippi u from....well im in korea right now but will be at fort hood come dec. i here they got some good fishin in the bend...im gonna have to try it out when i get there....
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 12:07 PM   #10
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

Welcome to the board! You guys/gals in uniform are all greatly appreciated ;D ;D Ranger is a good choice. I, personally, like Tritons myself, when I get one its going to be one of their aluminum series. Tight lines! 8)
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 01:15 PM   #11
big_mouth
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey southern Im from a little town called Kiln,MS. It's has far south has you can go about 20 minutes east of New Orleans.
Old 05-02-05, 04:30 PM   #12
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey snatcher-when you get to Hood let me know-that offer to get on the water stands for any of y'all that are overseas. Or any of you other yahoos that get down in this neck of the woods ;D.
Old 05-02-05, 06:55 PM   #13
basstard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to basstard

i gatta go with reb also
basstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 02:45 AM   #14
socalbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to socalbasser

Quote:
Hey snatcher-when you get to Hood let me know-that offer to get on the water stands for any of y'all that are overseas. Or any of you other yahoos that get down in this neck of the woods
Reb,

Odds of me ever getting to TX are slim but if I do, I'll sure take you up on that offer and do appreciate it. ;D

Bayou,

Stay low, Stay safe! Got back from Bahgdad in January and was probably no where close to the action you've seen but I do know what you guys in the Army are going through. Get home safe and soon.

Only thing I have to add about your boat search is this.......not many people willl say ANYTHING bad about a Ranger except that your gonna pay a whole lot more for not a whole lot more boat. I'd really suggest taking a look at Triton or Stratos. This coming frm someone who fishes out of.....you guessed it, a Skeeter. Just seems to me after some hindsight that both make a pretty good boat for a lot less money.... just my opinion.

Again, stay safe
Skeeter
socalbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 11:25 PM   #15
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
And reb how is toledo bend. I always wanted to fish there?
Never fished it, bayou, but like you I've always wanted to.
Old 05-06-05, 11:38 PM   #16
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Everyone said the thank you's. Ive been snooping around for a new boat. I have heard that rangers are heavy. I have eliminated them from my list because of price. Have been looking at Nitro,Stratos,Triton. Running an aluminum boat now and honestly another one is not out of the question.
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-05, 10:25 AM   #17
big_mouth
BassFishin.Com Member

Yea from what I've been looking into Rangers are a pretty penny. I looked into Nitro the other day and the prices were good. Matter of fact from what i see their cheaper thatn basstrackers aluim boat. The nitro even had 115 mercury and the bass tracker had a 90. Big diff there. But looking at them and fishing them are totally diff. Any thoughts on any of this?
Old 05-07-05, 12:20 PM   #18
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Bayou, I've got an '01 17-6 Nitro NX 750 with a 115 merc. About the only thing I don't like about it is under certain conditions it may be too light. A few weeks back I was fishing alongside a guy in I think it was a Ranger in a pretty good wind. His heavier Ranger did not get blown around as bad as my Nitro did, but otherwise I've been real happy with it.
Old 05-09-05, 02:50 PM   #19
big_mouth
BassFishin.Com Member

So where is a good place to look for used boats on the web
Old 05-09-05, 06:17 PM   #20
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

hose holder
triton's will beat you like a red headed step child the ride is about like a lumber wagon on rail road tracks..

go stratos or nitro-i have a stratos

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.