Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-05, 06:11 PM   #1
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52
Default Wow, She needs work!!!

Well, we picked up the boat. An 18 ft grumman jon boat. It is 7 and a half feet wide near the back. It has a nice elevated platform. I has 2 swivel seats towards the front. Anyways, It needs a new floor, Were going to try and put marine plywood down, and cover it in indoor outdoor carpeting. Heres a couple questions

1. How do I make a live well?
2. Can someone give me a site on how to put the flooring down, and the carpeting?
3. How to install seats?
4. What exactly is a bilge pump????
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-05, 10:03 AM   #2
hookset0888
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to hookset0888
Default Re: Wow, She needs work!!!

try www.bassjons.com they have alot of good ideas and info on how do to stuff and a forum so you could ask some questions there
hookset0888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-05, 01:16 PM   #3
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Live wells can be made out of any watertight compartment thats big enough. My rig just consists of a very large cooler that is mounted in the center of the boat with an electric pump that aereates the water. This is the base setup, you can get as fancy as you want.

A bilge pump is a electric pump that is in the bottom of the boat and pumps out excess water - either from rain, leaks or water splashing in the boat. I don't have one cause I can always bail out, my boat is small enough to get by without one. Your boat should probably have one.

Putting the flooring down would depend on the design of the boat. I have 3/4 inch plywood up front that I cut to shape and wedged in (its a v-hull and the plywood wedged in very tight). I then used liquid nails around the sides and some 2x4s to support the areas that needed extra support. I added carpet using a staplegun, but I'm sure adhesive like liquid nails is just as good or better. I was in a bit of a hurry to get ready for fishing season.

Installing seats I would just remind you get plenty of support, seats always get a lot of torque on them so they need to be installed solid with bolts.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-05, 07:25 PM   #4
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

ok thanks for all the answers, here is an update of our project--

took up the aluminum sheets flooring(The guys made the floor over the main bootom out of street signs ). We are starting to take apart the casting deck, to see if there is anything wrong underneath. We are thinking of keeping the metal frame for the deck, but puttin marine plywood on it or the Trek Decking. We are going to do the main floor in trek or so. If we do it in plywood, I have some inddor outdoor carpeting for it. I like the cooler Idea with the aeroater WTL, We may have to drop it in one of the storage areas, It has 3 compartments, and then 1 really big one up front. Also, it came with a bilge pump, but were probably goin to need a new one. We filled the boat up with 7 inches of water to see if there are any leaks, none thank god!! I will continue to update our project.
Old 07-06-05, 06:23 PM   #5
Bin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bin

you can get a good bilge 19$and airaraitor [its a big air pump like you would use in a fish tank] 12 volt or one that runs on D batt , 7$ at wallmart cheep
Bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-05, 11:06 AM   #6
reddscott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to reddscott

I used carpet glue to put down the carpet
reddscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-05, 11:16 AM   #7
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=RatLTrap link=board=Boats;num=1120425105;start=0#5 date=07/11/05 at 10:06:09]I used carpet glue to put down the carpet[/quote]

what was the brand of glue?
Old 07-11-05, 11:51 AM   #8
coolman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to coolman

Give us pics when your done cause I wanna see it!
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-05, 11:43 AM   #9
Unregistered

You can use just about any glue you would normally use to install outdoor carpeting. Ask at your local florring store. I have refinished about 10-12 boats similar to yours. Make sure that you install wiring and any tubing for your livewell/baitwell before you fasten in all down. Use stainless screws and/or aluminum rivits to refasten everything including the floor.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.