Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-05, 12:02 AM   #1
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigman15
Default Medium Rod?

I have got a medium action 7ft spinning rod set up for my carolina rigging. Should the strength of this rod be good for that particular application, or should I purchase another.
bigman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 12:38 AM   #2
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default Re: Medium Rod?

No, you usually want at least a MH reod to c-rig, but preferrably a H action rod. But the 7' size is good. I think that it sounds like a good rod for cranking.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 01:37 AM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I'm with Hula on that one -MH will work, H is better. Â*The reason is when setting the hook you are moving a lot of line as well as a heavy weight. Â*A M action just doesn't have the backbone to get the job done. Â*However, that M action rod will do a great job throwing something like a Shad Rap-the smaller balsa baits are a little tough to throw with a baitcaster but work great with a spinning rod. My C-rig rod is a 7'H action AllStar CRC rod, and I use 50 lb PowerPro on it.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 02:59 AM   #4
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

I would not use it for c-rigging, nor would i use it for cranks. I recommend composite rods for cranks.However, that is only my preferance. It is a good spinnerbait rod. I used one of the same length and action for years for fishing open water with spinnerbaits. I prefer short rods for most of my close cover spinnerbait work.

jmho

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 10:44 AM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

I would use a MH for the c-rig, maybe a Heavy, deppends on how deep I was usually fishing. The rod you have would also be good for topwater stuff, or spinnerbaits. I would use it as a cranking rod also, but that's just me. I always prefer Medium action on topwater/cranking/spinnerbaits. Mostly MH for everything else, except I have a Heavy 7' for My PNJ. I'm not to horribly convinced a Heavy rod is a great thing, (unless you are Pitching and Flipping) especially when you use the superlines like I do. :-/ Anyway, it wouldn't be a bad rod to drop shot with also. I don't do a whole lot of that myself, one of those techniques I need to work on. :-[

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 11:25 AM   #6
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Travis, If you are using light line ,say 8-10 lb test line, it will work fine as long as the weight is light too. Alot of people here use10 lb test and a 1/4 oz. carolina rig for smallmouth. It could double as a drop shot rod also as well as a stickbait, rattletrap, crankbait rod.I do not agree on having to use heavy line and heavy sinkers to carolina fish, but you want enough weight to keep the weight on the bottom when fishing.Lighter weights may slow your retreive down but it will work. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 02:29 PM   #7
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

PnJ brings up a good point-that setup might work well for a split-shot rig. Same principal as the C-rig, only instead of a swivel and heavy weight you simply pinch some split shot on your line at whatever length you want the leader to be. I've found 3 split shot work the best for me.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 08:08 PM   #8
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigman15

I dont have a heavy sinker on it anyways. I'm going to be fishing it in the 5-10ft range...I ain't going too deep with it.
bigman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 10:56 PM   #9
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Im not that resourceful yet to have multiple types of rods made out of different materials for certain uses. All I know is, Fl's got a lot of grass and a lot of big fish. All my rods are 6'6"-7' MH. I also use braided line on all my poles. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 08:51 AM   #10
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=MessBoards;num=1106362965;start=0#6 date=01/22/05 at 12:29:48]PnJ brings up a good point-that setup might work well for a split-shot rig. Same principal as the C-rig, only instead of a swivel and heavy weight you simply pinch some split shot on your line at whatever length you want the leader to be. I've found 3 split shot work the best for me.[/quote]

I keep hearing folks say they do this, and I'm trying to figure out why you don't just peg a bullet weight up the line wherever you want it ??? It's a lot less likely to get hung up, and less damage to your line IMO. I always keep a weighted t-rigged setup on the boat at all times anyway, just doubles for the split shot(as you call it), just slide the pegged weight up 1'-2'.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 09:48 AM   #11
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Lizards, The difference is here they are fishing for smallmouth bassusually fishing tube baits. The texas rig weight kills the action a tube has if you have it on a leader from the weight it darts around more. Plug the tube end with a broken senko trapping air in and it now will float on a leader, I have seen some insert packing peanuts in to make them float.Our lakes here are glacier made lakes, most are very deep (one lake close by is 600+ft deep)Not alot of grass grows in large amounts anywhere except for the really small (pond size) lakes. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 09:56 AM   #12
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

It might not be ideal for Carolina Rigging, but it will probably work. Give it a try and see. If it doesn't do the job, get a MH or a H. I'd be more concerned about casting a heavy sinker than I would be a hook set. If you're not using a heavy sinker that shouldn't be a problem.

Just because someone else says it won't work, doesn't mean it won't. I have used an ultra-light spinning outfit for worm fishing and it worked.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.