Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-05, 08:38 PM   #1
fisherman_craig
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fisherman_craig
Default need opinion

hey yall
i was wondering if yall think a depth finder is really worth purchasing. im thinking about buying one friday after work for my fishing trip this weekend. i would get a portable one since i only fish out of the rented jon boats. do yall think a depth/fish finder is a must buy?
thanks!
fisherman_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 08:40 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: need opinion

i dont think it is a ''must buy'' its up to u whether u want to or not.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 08:40 PM   #3
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

At a certain point its a nice thing to have, but you have to make the determination for yourself. You may have needs that you should take care of before a depth finder, perhaps even your own boat.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 08:45 PM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=WTL link=board=news;num=1111102710;start=0#2 date=03/17/05 at 18:40:10]At a certain point its a nice thing to have, but you have to make the determination for yourself. Â*You may have needs that you should take care of before a depth finder, perhaps even your own boat. Â*[/quote]

Very good answer. Let me ask this, are you catching fish without one? If so then why worry about it right now. I would work towards a boat first, and then the fishfinder. If you really think you NEED one, and can afford it, by all means go buy one.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 08:53 PM   #5
fisherman_craig
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fisherman_craig

im kinda desperate. i catch bass like crazy at this local pond, but when i go to the lake, i always come up empty. i was thinking a depth finder would help?
fisherman_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 09:04 PM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

well like already stated in the other post, the depthfinder really is only gunna help you find structure underwater. its so-so with finding fish.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 09:11 PM   #7
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

A depth finder is a tool. That's all it is. It won't catch fish for you. It won't find fish for you. If you count on a "gizmo" to do everything for you, you're going to be disapointed. At first you should learn to read the shoreline for what's under the water. You know a point extends out into the water. A gully on the bank, that extends into the lake becomes a ditch underwater. A crankbait is a good tool for learning what's on the bottom. So is a Carolina Rig. Learn to think when you catch a fish. "Why was this fish here?" The more you learn to figure things out with what God gave you between your ears, the better things like depth finders will work for you when you do get one.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 09:53 PM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=fatdirtycat link=board=news;num=1111102710;start=0#4 date=03/17/05 at 18:53:39]im kinda desperate. i catch bass like crazy at this local pond, but when i go to the lake, i always come up empty. i was thinking a depth finder would help?[/quote]

Cajun has a very, very good point. Try to take the big lake and look for and area that looks similiar to the type of area you catch fish in the smaller pond. Is it around weeds, wood, rocks. If you can find a place that resembles what you fish in the pond, odds are the fish will be there also. Now there are a few differences, but pretty much Bass hold to cover and structure. That doesn't mean you have to find those items in the middle of the lake. I'll bet that even after you get a fish finder, you'll still find the fish around the cover/structure Look for fallen trees that extend out into the lake. Look for coves, since they will usuaully have 2 points that you can fish, plus the cove. Any change on the shore usually means a change in the bottom.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 09:54 PM   #9
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i think it's only gonna help a good amount if u have a lot of free time. And i mean days of free time. Cuz you'll probably search for good fishing spots with that thing for a while before u find a spot really worthwhile. But usually when u do it works really well.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.