Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-05, 04:16 PM   #1
bamabassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bamabassin
Default plastics??

I have been fishing plastic lures for 10 years now! Yes occasionally if the conditions are right i'll throw a spinnerbait or maybe something else, but i cant seem to get off the plastics (ex. worm, flukes, lizards, finesse worms, trick worms)! I recently discovered the Senko (tiki stick), thanks to you guys!

Am I missing out on more and bigger fish or do most of you prefer plastics??
bamabassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 04:59 PM   #2
LeapinBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LeapinBass
Default Re: plastics??

its ok but if you fish in shallow water then i would reccommend using a topwater like a buzzbait jitterbug or even a chug bug
LeapinBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 05:05 PM   #3
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fastcat

I love the Chug Bug, but I also love plastics. I catch most of my big fish off of plastics. Stick with it. The Tiki Stick is new to me to. I cant help but to have one on every time im on the water. I love em'
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 05:05 PM   #4
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Ya should try a jig n pig now or tube, its the same deal as worm fishing,
perhaps what your missing out with Â*just plastic lures like worms etc.......... is that with other baits like crank baits and spinner baits, they serve the purpose as a
"searching tool"
You may be able to locate the fish , what depth, what they are located next to etc , then go to the worm and work it over.
Many times I try to search , because I definitely don't want to get into a rut, and just flip a worm over and over and over, when some days they may hit the worm just fine, but you never know what your missing until
some clown right beside you throws a trap and gets all the action, esp when you can target fish that are beyond the realm of worm fishing,, i.e. out of reach from a cast of the worm
When I tournament fish, I always run into pairs of guys that fish together all the time, and they have succeeded in only fishing the jig and the other the worm, but I think you should explore the moving baits , its an added weapon in your arsenal
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 05:08 PM   #5
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

i prefer plastics as well, the presentation is sooooo much more realistic using slow moving baits, they feel like live bait so the fish tends to hold on instead of immediately spitting out a metal lure, easy to pitch it in cover/target and keep the lure right in front of the fishes face while something like a spinner, crank, or other hard baits, you can keep it there and twitch it, instead of having to start reeling for the lure to obtain any sort of action.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 05:11 PM   #6
hershey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to hershey

I just recently started to fish tiki stiks and i have been catching way more fish. On my first cast i messed up my cast and it went 4 feet in front of me. When i was about to reel it up bass slammed it not even 3 seconds after it hit the water. It's know my go to bait.
hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 05:21 PM   #7
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i to favor the soft plastics....but when the fish dont want them, i change to a jig, then spinner, then crankbait....or i will substitute topwaters in there.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 11:48 PM   #8
sumal
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sumal

ive had luck with both. somedyas i cant seem to get a hit with any plastic i throw out, and other days the bass only hit the spinners i get out there
sumal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 11:55 PM   #9
basshunter205
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to basshunter205

i throw a combination of everything. i always have at least one, if not two rods with plastics rigged up at any given time. I do not solely rely on them though. One tough day this last spring when we had a cold front move through with some bad cold winds, i had 3 bites: 1 3 lbr on a tube, 1 3 lbr on a crankbait, and a 1 pounder on a crank. i was fishing tubes the whole morning pretty much exclusively after i got the 3, but switched over to the crank and picked off two next to the landing. showed me never to rely on your plastics to get the job done.
basshunter205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 08:29 PM   #10
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

Quote:
Am I missing out on more and bigger fish or do most of you prefer plastics??
Plastics are great fish getters. But on those occasions when the fish are active, you may catch fewer with your slow-moving plastics than with faster-moving hard baits.

Also, when you're not targeting visible cover, searching with faster moving baits is much more efficient.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 09:17 PM   #11
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I think most anglers settle down for the days fishing with a plastic, its relaxing, it makes ya think about targets , whereas throwing a crank bait all day can about numb year brain.
I agree with the one post that he throws everything,
I dint know how many guys that were in tournaments
that were killer with jigs and worms, and always caught fish, but at weigh-in someassclown that was throwing a
action bait cleaned up, mainly by covering a lot of territory..I like to throw most all kinds of baits and then settle down to the worm...
Only if I am on the same pattern day in and day out, where I am pretty sure they wont hit anything but
a plastic, I'll just go ahead and throw that....
I know in the past the small craw is the pattern for weeks on end, once I figure that out each season, I'll go right for that bait until it gets stale,
I hit on that pattern years ago by accident, throwing a huge craw and jig with limited success, catching fish but not big ones, as my tackle supply on craws dwindled, i kept downsizing and WHAM I finally found a size they inhale no questions asked.
I ran out and bought any inch n a half craw I could find or bite off the length of it..I am pretty sure I was again matching the hatch of what the fish were used to seeing to eat : in that particular lake
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.