Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-05, 10:30 PM   #1
badbassin

Default bass eaten bass

i was fishin in a pond and caught about a 3pound bass and put it on the stringer.and there was another bass about the same size come to the bank and tried many times to swollow the bass on the striger.Any yall kwow why?
Old 05-21-05, 10:35 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: bass eaten bass

because it doesnt want you to keep it...lol. if it was the same size, then i have no idea. was the bass dead? i know that bigger bass will eat baby bass.

*CATCH AND RELEASE* ;D
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-05, 10:37 PM   #3
badbassin

no the bass was alive
Old 05-21-05, 10:38 PM   #4
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie

The only reason im posting something is to tell you to CATCH AND RELEASE!!! But i cant stop you so....do what you want.
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-05, 10:47 PM   #5
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

a bass would not be trying to eat another 3lbs bass. A 3 pounder would be a rather difficult meal for a world record bass. he may just have been curious as to what was going through the other fishes gills.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-05, 10:51 PM   #6
badbassin

THANKS
Old 05-21-05, 11:07 PM   #7
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

Rodmam I totally disagree. I'll bet a 22lb bass would eat a 3lb bass easily. Badbassin you've got me stumped. Are you sure thats what it was doing.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-05, 11:11 PM   #8
badbassin

yes it was comin up from behind him trin to eat him from the tail first
Old 05-21-05, 11:16 PM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=lockjaw link=board=news;num=1116725404;start=0#6 date=05/21/05 at 22:07:26]Rodmam I totally disagree. I'll bet a 22lb bass would eat a 3lb bass easily. Badbassin you've got me stumped. Are you sure thats what it was doing.[/quote]
doubt it, its certainly capable, but i doubt it would. bass are generally lazy. like most fish, they want to get the easiest meal. and a 3lb bass is certainly not an easy meal. a little bass is alot easier. sure, its not alot of fish for such a big bass, but they can get alot of little bass in less time then it would take to get a 3lb bass. plus, bass dont need much food. i would think a 3lb fish would be too much bass for it. this is all my opinion of coarse
Old 05-21-05, 11:25 PM   #10
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Its just my opinion but I'm going to argue with you on that one. In California 8lb bass are caught off foot long swimbaits all the time. Now if an 8lb bass would eat a foot long trout wouldn't a 22lb bass easily eat an 18" bass. Again I might be wrong.
Old 05-21-05, 11:29 PM   #11
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Maybe someone else could shed some light on the subject.
Old 05-21-05, 11:38 PM   #12
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

well, now think, if you fish those huge swim baits, most people get a bass a month, maybe more maybe less depending on the time of year. now, im not saying a 22lb bass would NEVER eat one, but not often, just like those bass that are caught on swimbaits, they are caught, but not alot. im just saying that if a bass had to choose from a bunch of little minnows, or a 3lb bass, they would go for the minnows, just because it is and easier meal. fish have to survive, and they want to do it as easily as possible. i agree that a 22lb bass would eat a 3lb bass, but it would be rare. we will have to agree to dissagree.
Old 05-22-05, 02:00 AM   #13
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010

It had been years ago, but I was fishing with my father and we ran across a fish on the surface of the water floundering and thrashing. We pulled up and saw about a 6 pound LMB attempting to swallow, and apparently choking on, a 2 pound white. Now maybe this LMB had an aggression problem, but it seems to me that LMB will eat larger prey than most of us give them dredit for.
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 06:46 AM   #14
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

the length and diameter of a 3lbs bass would simply be too large for a 22lbs fish. It's a largemouth bass, not a trash compactor.
Old 05-22-05, 10:35 AM   #15
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Maybe it was just curious.....who knows..........and next time throw the damn fish back dude
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 10:52 AM   #16

Frist let me say a 22# bass wont have a problem with a 3#bass as food, next the bass you caught might of been near a spawing bed and the other bass was trying to scare it away. I dont where you live but in a pond it is very possible.
Old 05-22-05, 11:51 AM   #17
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Sounds like a turtle eating the stringer to me,, oldest trick in the book for mr shell back :
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 12:06 PM   #18
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

smells like BS to me
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 02:44 PM   #19
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=lockjaw link=board=news;num=1116725404;start=0#9 date=05/21/05 at 22:25:59]Its just my opinion but I'm going to argue with you on that one. In California 8lb bass are caught off foot long swimbaits all the time. Now if an 8lb bass would eat a foot long trout wouldn't a 22lb bass easily eat an 18" bass. Again I might be wrong.[/quote]

those are trout though, they have somewhat of a slender body shape, would be easy for a bass to swallow something slender, a 3 pound bass is 3 times bigger than a 1 lbs 12 inch trout.
Old 05-22-05, 02:54 PM   #20
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Your story just reminded me of something I saw one time. It was two small bass maybe 10" or so laying on the bank of a pond. One had the other ones head in its mouth. It would have been physically impossible for it to have ate it whole. The conclusion I came to was the bass were not getting enough to eat in the pond. But a 3lb bass is a healthy. It would have to be getting enough to eat to grow to that size.
Old 05-22-05, 03:13 PM   #21
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Let him keep the fish if he wants to. It might be different if he was fishing in a large river. It's good pond management to keep a fish every once in a while. Thats one less fish the other bass have to compete for food with.
Old 05-22-05, 03:46 PM   #22
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

[quote author=bassintom link=board=news;num=1116725404;start=0#17 date=05/22/05 at 11:06:47]smells like BS to me [/quote]
Yeah maybe that too.....
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 03:54 PM   #23
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

actually lockjaw, it wouldnt be a different story for a river. there is plenty of bass in a river, and in a pond. if anything, keep the bass you catch out of a river or large lake, and throw back bass from a pond. the only time to keep a pond bass would be when there are to many, and they are overcrowded. but if its a healthy pond, then there is no problem keeping the bass. alltho, you might not always want to keep them every time you go out. it will eventually start to make a dent in the population. but every other time you go and keep 1-2 then thats fine. that will keep a steady population.
Old 05-22-05, 07:39 PM   #24
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

I'm with lockjaw on this one, a trophy bass could and would eat a 3lb bass if the circustances were correct. If it was hurt or dying, and an easy meal you better believe it will. If it was cruising around, and came by it's hiding spot, again sure it would. A bass will not differentiate between another bass, a duck, a squirrel, anything that moves is possibly food for a bass. This is my opinion only. As for a 3lb trying to eat a 3lber, could've been trying to mate it or something else, or just didn't like that fish, who knows or as bassintom said could be a bunch of bs.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 08:00 PM   #25
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I've seen bass floating dead before on the lake from one having the other stuck in its mouth.. at first I thought someone did it on purpose, but whatever the deal is I've seen it more than once, however when I have witnessed it , it was 2 bass about 2 lb each, which still makes me wonder if they hit each other or died in a live well and someone is being a tard....
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.