Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-05, 01:33 AM   #1
Bladerunner
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bladerunner
Default Red Hooks on lures?

do you gain any sort of advantage using red hooks on lures? do they appeal to the fish more or not? say if i were to swap out the treble hooks on my rat-l-trap's or POP-R's with red ones.. my guess is, because they're red its just adding to the effect of injured prey.?
Bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 05:29 AM   #2
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16
Default Re: Red Hooks on lures?

The jury is still out on the red hook thing. I personally think it may help, but I am not pursuing in buying any worm hooks that are red. I feel the bigger fish are more difficult to catch unless they react to a reaction bite bait.I suppose you could flip worms with red hooks instead of using jigs. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 09:15 AM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

every body has different opinions on this subject. i personally think they catch more fishermen then they do fish.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 11:15 AM   #4
redneck13
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to redneck13

Hard to tell.using red worm hooks ,I haven't seen any change.With the red hook on the SK Bleeding Bait spinnerbait, I seem to catch a few more than normal.Of course that could be from other variables.
redneck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 11:41 AM   #5
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

I like red hooks on my moving baits but haven't tried them enough on plastics or jigs to have an opinion yet. 8) On the moving baits, I feel it gives a blood flash or injury type look. Also, I feel it gives the fish a "target" so to speak- thats why I try to keep any red highlights, including hooks, I add toward the front of the bait.
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 11:54 AM   #6
Bladerunner
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bladerunner

i guess i was referring to using them more on moving baits such as pop-r's or rat l traps (treble hooks)
Bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 01:49 PM   #7
oldfisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to oldfisherman

i took two Â*chorme and blue 1/2 oz rat-l-traps Â*used no 6 Â*red hooks on one and no 6 regular hooks on the other one. Â*they where Â*gammas. Â*when Â*i started to Â*catch Â*them on the red hooks i swithched to the Â*regular Â*ones . saw no difference in Â* either one. Â*was using the same rod and reel for both traps. i feel if you but the lure in the the basses faces and he is hunrgy he going to strike it. color , size, speed . or whatever eles really isn't the key, finding the fish is.
oldfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 02:42 PM   #8
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I went ahead and bought some red hooks for jig heads on mr twister 3 inch chartruse..I'll let ya know!
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 06:37 PM   #9
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

I've got a ton of confidence in red hooks. I've caught way to many fish off them not to believe in them. I use red worm hooks and replace the front hooks on my cranks with them. The reason the front hook is so they will target the front of the lure. Another theory being the front hooks being red resemble gills. A fish with its gills showing is a feeding fish. This triggers a feeding response in bass. I've caught many bass with just the front red hook in its mouth.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 08:03 PM   #10
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I'm with PnJ-the jury is still out.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 08:23 PM   #11
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

LockJaw,
That does make sense
Many of your better baits and esp crank baits have that
red gill line or lines painted right in there,
I was on a kick many moons ago with that red flare to almost all my baits, even marking painted spinnerbait lead heads with a strip of red..I think it does make a dif in getting strikes 8)
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 09:19 PM   #12
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

its tough to say weather it helps or not, but
i've caught enough fish on red accented lures to know that it doesn't hurt. All I use are red hooks on all my plastics, all my hard baits have red trebles front and back, and even my live bait hooks are red. Don't use anything else, unless its a jig or spinner that came with something other than red, course if its a spinner, I'll be damn sure to add a red trailer hook.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 01:10 AM   #13
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Well it sure has caught a lot of fisherman. I in no way go out of my way to use red hooks. As a matter of fact, I have some that have been sitting around for probably 2 years. If you believe they work use them, if you don't then don't use them. It's a variable that will always get disagreements on. I really could care less wether it's red or not. I've caught fish with all different colors of hook, brass, black, sliver, red. It's a confidence thing IMO, so what do YOU believe in? Many times you will work the bait better or more consistenty, or even longer if you beleive in it. Therefor you will catch more fish with it if it's in the water more. Thereby giving you more confidence in it. It's like asking what is the best color of crank, or topwater, or even line color. If YOU BELIEVE IT'S BETTER, than I bet you will use it more often.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 08:56 AM   #14

well I don't think that the red hooks have to much to do with catching fish. if you have confidence in what you are fishing with then you will catch fish. and in the right spot at the right time. I have couch bass on the candy worms that I was eating. so you tell me. do red hooks help??????
Old 05-24-05, 02:12 PM   #15
daveraynor
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to daveraynor

I use them on crankbaits, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, and all my worm hooks are red.
daveraynor is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.