Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-05, 01:58 AM   #1
dwmfishin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dwmfishin
Default New Rapalas?

Have you guys seen those new rapalas called x-raps? Some have a skirt of hair? on the tail hook. They look kinda like lucky craft's. I was talking to this guy at my work who knew a lot about fishing; he said that i should get one and jerk it and pause, jerk and pause. I am not the biggest fan of rapalas, should i still get one of the x-raps? i will not be able to fish until summer. hmm. Plus, can someone try to describe better what the guy meant by jerking and stopping? Do you pull hard and stop? do you jerk-jerk-jerk and stop? is it a constant thing? thanks... ~discgolfer
dwmfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 02:06 AM   #2
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Re: New Rapalas?

http://www.bassfishin.com/cgi-bin/ya...num=1107725277

I brought these new baits up last month, here is the thread. So far I've hooked 1 fish on them, that fish happened to break the line. They do in fact have a very hard cutting action, much like a fluke - or think of it like an underwater zara spook that you can walk the dog with.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 02:10 AM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Have you ever used a Hard jerk bait like the smithwick rogue? It's worked the same, if you use a fluke, work this the same. In the colder water, or lock jaw fish, the pause sometimes can be up to a minute. I have three of them, and the action is good. I've yet to catch a fish on one, but only been using it this year, and with the temps etc, nothing has worked to well. Surprised to hear you don't like Rapala, they make a decent bait with lots of good lures, but to each his own. I actually bought them on zooker's recommendation, and he really liked them. Don't know who else has actually used them since they just came out, but as I stated I do like the action it has, and it does suspend, so the harder you hit it on your jerk(like a hookset), the deeper you can get it. then stop and it will suspend at that depth.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 02:18 AM   #4
dwmfishin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dwmfishin

It's not that i don't like rapalas, i really liked the jointed deep runners. Those, in about four feet of water, really worked well for bass and northern. its just that i troll so much that i'd rather use a mepps spinner size five and catch a couple northern. those mepps spinners, by the way, have worked wonders for northern! troll them in the mornin at about six and catch many! i also really like the 3inch senko green and white/pearl texas rigged fished drifted or deadsticked. THat has worked wonders too. here in minnesota our bass dont get that big, so when my dad and i started catching 1-2 lb bass one after the other, it was amazing. we even caught some 3lb, 18 inchers. that was fun. Dont see too many of those up here... ~discgolfer
dwmfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 02:21 AM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Oh yeah, this is one of the hottest new baits around. I have several and they will catch fish. They have an internal weighting system that cast real well but put off a great rattling sound.
I was reading an article that when they first hit the market a few months ago the pros were willing to pay $50 for one during one tournament. Don't know if that is a fact or not but it speaks well for them. I saw on another board a guy tried one and caught an 8-3 on the third cast. I haven't done that well with them, but have one tied on.

The X-rap a suspending jerkbait-what the guy you were talking to was referring to is the retrieve. Cast it out, crank it down, and when you stop it the bait just sits there-it doesn't float up. If you have ever used a floating minnow type bait like a floating Rapala the X-Rap works the same way, except it is below the surface rather than on it. I crank it down, let it sit, jerk it a couple of times, let it sit, etc. The colder the water the longer I let it sit. I've had some real hard hits after letting a suspending jerkbait sit for 30-45 seconds depending on the water temperature. A suspending jerkbait is one of my favorite cold water baits, but they work year round.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 05:59 PM   #6
zooker___________.
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zooker___________.

Rapala's are great lures. A RS Shap Rap was one of biggest weaponsSunday in a club tourney. Own two of the X-raps remind me of a larger version of the countdown minnow, two early to fish topwater yet but will let you know.
zooker___________. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 06:24 PM   #7
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

One of the locals uses them for smallies, catching most of his fish on the pause. Another fellow discovered why, the lure was slowly....slowly sinking when paused...the fish are striking on the pause according to them....the slow fall could explain it.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 06:36 PM   #8
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

dg
i use them quite a bit they move almost exactly like a fluke in the water. the feather tails aint that great i have a couple of them. i would rather use the "salt water "version of the x rap -same thing with one size larger ss hooks.

oh yeah the bill is molded in to the bait break the lip you break the bait.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 06:54 PM   #9
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Gotta give Zooker credit for turning me on to the X-Rap-thanks, buddy!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 07:44 PM   #10
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

don't thank me thank my bait monkey

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 03-10-05, 04:29 PM   #11
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Zooker,
Just got some, do I take the feathers off or leave them on ? Which produces best for you ?
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 07:46 PM   #12
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

if it is the silver or glass ghost color i run both with out trailer. the trailer on one of the fresh water version's is a very badly tied lil feller. it is a pathic attempt at a real hand tie feather..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.