Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-03, 08:51 PM   #1
JIM_PAYNE
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to JIM_PAYNE
Default Kayaking for Bass

Anybody besides me fish for bass from a kayak? I just started to a month ago, and I am tearing up the bass down here in Sarasota county, Florida (18 fish in the last two days, just down the road from my house).

I would be interested in hearing how you rig your boat, hold position, etc.

Jeff
JIM_PAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-03, 09:03 PM   #2

Default Re: Kayaking for Bass

Sarasota-

I've never used a kayak for our Florida bass. I know a couple guys in NY state who fish fairly fast moving rivers for smallies from a kayak.

I have a naked 12' jon boat that I throw into the back of my little Ranger pickup and either row or small electric my way along the edges of some of our local ponds and lakes. I prefer walking and stalking our Florida bass but sometimes a boat is needed.

I recently read that your town was recently selected as one of the most desirable places for retirees to settle in.
Can there be any of us old farts left in other states now?
Seems like every miserable, senile old buzzard from New York City lives here now. I'm one of them, too.

As the bumper sticker says " when I retire I'm going to move north and drive slowly in the left lane". ;D 8)

Senior
Old 05-05-03, 12:19 AM   #3
Ral-L-Trap
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ral-L-Trap

I don't kayak for lake bass, but we have lots of bays in California and a lot of people fish for bay bass from kayaks. Good luck.
Ral-L-Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-03, 07:02 PM   #4
JIM_PAYNE
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to JIM_PAYNE

I caught 30+ bass this morning from the kayak in four hours - three keepers in the five pound range. I am hooked on kayak bassin'.

Thanks for everyone's replies!

Jeff
JIM_PAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 11:35 PM   #5
tinboat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to tinboat

Jeff,

I know I'm 2 years late but I LOVE fishing out of my yak!
So far I've caught a 2 1/4 pound crappie,and a 6 pound bass out of it!

texaskayaker
tinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 11:39 PM   #6
Radioman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Radioman

texas...wouldnt that 6lb bass pull that kayak along the water? im just wondering because when i was younger, id go up to my friends cabin in michigan and we'd go along in a little pattle boat and fish this creek that we couldnt get the boat in, to make a long story short, i ended up pullin out a 5lb bass and that sucker drug that little paddle boat around like it was a toy.
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 11:44 PM   #7
tinboat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to tinboat

HECK YEAH!!!!!! it pulled me about 100 yrds,and the crappie pulled me 75 but at first I had my to loose if I had IT too tite it would've pooled me about 50 more!!!

texaskayaker
tinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 11:56 PM   #8
Radioman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Radioman

lol...well at least im not the only one. we were fishing on lake michigan behind a breaker wall on just a little john boat for salmon. i hooked a 20lb king salmon and he almost pulled us the 200yds to the breaker wall. that was fun, yet scared the crap outta me.
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 11:56 PM   #9
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I don't use a kayak often, I got a canoe.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 10:06 PM   #10
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

[quote author=FlaBasser link=board=news;num=1052092315;start=0#1 date=05/04/03 at 20:03:43]Sarasota-

I've never used a kayak for our Florida bass. I know a couple guys in NY state who fish fairly fast moving rivers for smallies from a kayak.

I have a naked 12' jon boat that I throw into the back of my little Ranger pickup and either row or small electric my way along the edges of some of our local ponds and lakes. I prefer walking and stalking our Florida bass but sometimes a boat is needed.

I recently read that your town was recently selected as one of the most desirable places for retirees to settle in.
Can there be any of us old farts left in other states now?
Seems like every miserable, senile old buzzard from New York City lives here now. I'm one of them, too.

As the bumper sticker says " when I retire I'm going to move north and drive slowly in the left lane". ;D 8)

Senior[/quote]

Hey stranger, where the **** have you been? Lose your old handle? :
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.