Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-05, 04:17 PM   #1
cnfoley
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to cnfoley
Default Tips for that big bass

Hey guys, been reading this board a couple weeks now and have found numerous tips. Thanks!

I fish in a roughly 5 acre pond that only gets about 12-15 feet deep. Murky water, probably just under 70 degrees. One side has bushes along the shore, the other a few trees at shorline. During spawn i pulled in a 21" 5-6 lber i suppose, it was fat. As of late i can only pull in 2 lb.ers. I catch them on plastic worm, rattlin rapala, crankbait, devil's horse and even rooster tails. Im looking to land some more big bass but can't seem to find them. Any tips, ideas and/or suggestions would be appreciated!
cnfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 04:36 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: Tips for that big bass

how long has spawn been over for you? they may be in the early post spawn stage....the bigger females will go deep and hold close to cover/structure and not eat for 2-3 days....then they will start to eat. i would c-rig a lizard and fish deep water near spawning flats. if you know of any deep structure/cover then fish it! good luck 8)
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 04:53 PM   #3
cnfoley
BassFishin.Com Member

I work with a guy who gets in fish tournaments. About a month and a half ago he told me they should be spawning and to go throw a lizard out there. So I t-rigged a lizard and caught that big one about a month and a half ago. Im not sure how long spawn lasts. I am just going on the assumption that he was right and they were spawning when i caught the big one. I fish from the shore so i can't get out to the deepest areas but can cast pretty far. Thanks for the tips 02, I'll try to c-rig a lizard, see what happens. I assume the leader should be about 2 feet?
Old 06-13-05, 04:58 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i wouldnt go that long.....2 feet is just a bit much IMO...maybe a foot. spaw has waves....you have your early spawners....then the major spawn....then late spawners.....so you may still have some spawning...i would still try to get out into deep water...thats where the bigg 'uns will be 8)
Old 06-13-05, 05:03 PM   #5
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fastcat

I f none of those other techiniques work try a deep running crankbait. I have always caught big ones on crankbaits.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 05:08 PM   #6
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Ya may never see that big ol girl again, but heck keep on trying , thats the fun of it..
The spawn here is over, just by a week or so, and the big ones aren't being shown anywhere , but plenty of 15-18 inch fish are chowing down!
Its amazing to me how early on those big bass are biting , I got my 5 pounder early , then went for weeks with just dinks, its sure nice to see quality fish being caught these last 10 days or so, plus the huricane leftovers have the barometer falling daily,
all you can do is try,
As for the Carolina rig you can play with any lenth leader, my own use is 18 to 30 inches,
The trouble you'll find with a long leader is ..its harder to get used to chucking it out there.
Tip: have plenty of Carolina rigs already made up of various lengths , so while your out there all you have to do is reach in a baggie or whatever you want to store them in, and tie on to the swivel...When your on fish and not wanting to waste time, tying on a C rig can seem like forever n a day

8)
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 05:17 PM   #7
cnfoley
BassFishin.Com Member

dyas - I can use some shallow crankbaits but the deep ones just get hung up cause the pond isn't that deep.

jb- Tried my first c-rig out last week and caught a few. I was tying one up the night before and realized that i definitely didn't want to be tying these up when im out by the water. I read somewhere the leader should be 18 inches to 6 feet, which i thought was way too long. Gonna try a foot to foot and a half

Any tips on what colors to use? I usually use june bug, but have all kinds. Also I hear lizards are better during spawn than worms. Which is better after spawn?

Thanks all for the replies.
Old 06-13-05, 05:20 PM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

as for one bait bein better then the other durin spawn is a hoot IMO....you throw somethin big unto the bed and your gunna get a strike most likely. same with after spawn....there getting hungry...you trow somethin where that bass is and shes gunna hit it!
Old 06-13-05, 05:27 PM   #9
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fastcat

During the spawn try throwing the Storm swimming eye sunfish fast there bed and bounce it off the bottom until it passes there bed. Or you can just throw it past there bed and swim it back. Good luck
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 08:09 PM   #10
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Welcome to the forum!

I think these guys covered it pretty well.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.