Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-04, 10:01 PM   #1
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigman15
Default Finesse?

I have read a lot about this "tatic." And I am really not understanding it. The only thing I get is the fact that everything is smaller. If you look in Wal-Mart fishing section, they have little pre-rigged kits for this "tatic." (Sorry its the only thing I could think of. So for those of us who have little experience in boat fishing. Could you please tell me how this could or would apply to me, who is fishing from the bank. And me and a friend have this on going argument.

Is it FINEEZE, or is it Finessss?
bigman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-04, 10:07 PM   #2
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default Re: Finesse?

Firstly it is pronounced finess, adn also its "tactic" not tatic. Anyways this technique means in general downsizing your lure, and fishing it SLOW. This is a great technique when fishing heavily pressured waters, and it will often get a bite when the bass have seen the same lures again and again. There are several kinds of finnesse baits, jigs, worms, tubes, etc. The key thing to remember is to fish them SLOW.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-04, 10:10 PM   #3
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

It's "fi-NESS" and spelled "finesse."

There's not one definitive meaning, but it generally refers to lighter lines and smaller lures when conditions are tough.

One of many examples might be switching from a 7" action-tail worm on 12# line to a 4" straight tail on 6# line.

P.S. I just noticed that Hula and I posted at the same time.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-04, 10:26 PM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Hula and Marty pretty much covered it so I'll just give an example: You are famiiar with a Carolina rig-heavy sinker, swivel, bead, leader, etc. A split-shot rig would be an example of a finesse rig-a spinning rod with, say, 8 lb test line and a 1/0 hook with a 4" Zoom finesse worm. In place of the sinker, bead, and swivel you just pinch on 1-3 split shot however far up the line you want to. Another example would be a drop-shot rig-light line and small baits.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-04, 11:29 PM   #5
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

The first bass I caught on a worm I caught finessing and I didn't even know it. I had a 4 1/2in junebug worm with a small split-shot weight. I just dropped it in a hole in the river and let it sit for a few secs and I hooked into it, 2lbs. This particular bass was extremely heavily pressured, and it saw almost every bait you can think of. Finnese worms are awesome for pressured fish.
Old 11-24-04, 11:38 PM   #6
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

Can this "TACTIC" be used from the shore?
Old 11-24-04, 11:49 PM   #7
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

oh yeah, it works from land.
Old 11-25-04, 12:23 AM   #8
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

How? Same as any worm method? Come on don't make me beg for the information.
Old 11-25-04, 12:26 AM   #9
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

What more do you need to know that I din't already say?
Old 11-25-04, 12:59 AM   #10
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Trav-finesse fishing is basically using smaller baits but fishing them the same way. A carolina rig becomes a split shot rig, a T-rig stays the same only with a smaller hook, weight, and worm, a wacky worm stays the came and a floating worm stays the same, just downsized baits. It sounds like it would be complicated, but it isn't. I had some good success fishing a finesse worm as a floating worm using spinning tackle instead of a baitcast rod last summer-they just wanted a smaller bait.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 10:57 AM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

MY interpretation of finesse fishing ;D
1. Slowing down your presentation of ANY bait. I know many folks add to downsize also, but I disagree. The bait is used more in a SUBTLE presentation. You can finesse a 10 inch worm, and a 1oz suspending rattletrap. Instead of POWER fishing, where you are trying to cover as much water as quickly as possible. In this method speed is your enemy, and you are trying to work it slowly and methodically, not looking for the REACTION strike, but more trying to COAX them into biting.

Of course this is just my interpretation, and as it's obvious from the above posts, lots of folks disagree with me, they believe you must downsize :P

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 11:27 AM   #12
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

huh? lizards now you are confusing even me. a finesse tactic is more accuarratly called presentation.true but no one in there right mind throws a 1 oz trap and then calls it finesse. basicly because it is about as suttle as a jack hammer.
a 4 " finesse worm can be worked fairly fast and catch fish. slowing down a bait is not a finese tactic it is just slowing down the retrive. finding the presentaion that works best is the key.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 12:19 AM   #13
Basshopper
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Basshopper

i agree with zook on his note. I ran out of trick worms fishing them to cover water and to get the aggressive bite so i switched to 4" finesse worm. Worked them the same way but started catching more (smaller) fish. Crankbaits are good finesse baits but is all in how you present them and which models you use for that presentation.
Basshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 09:34 AM   #14
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

As I stated most folks disagree with my interpretation of it. And just because a 1 oz lippless crankbait is Bigger than a 1/2oz doesn't mean you can't finesse it. What does a HAWG want, a Bigger Easier Meal, so by not ripping it past her/him, you are trying to get them to take a easier meal, and if they had a choice, between smaller and bigger meals, I'm betting they will take the bigger meal. I believe that it is a slowing down of the presentation, in any form, that is finesse fishing. I can see most of you disagree, and that's OK with me ;D This is MY OPINION only, based on MY EXPERIENCES.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 03:08 PM   #15
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

enforcer
don't it just suck when ya run out of bubble gum trick worms?

lizards
i never said a 1oz trap would not catch fish it is diffantly NOT suttle. actually i have more sucess with small traps 1/4 or so.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 09:38 PM   #16
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

[quote author=Big_Bad_Trav link=board=MessBoards;num=1101344480;start=0#5 date=11/24/04 at 21:38:14]Can this "TACTIC" be used from the shore?[/quote]
Trav, ANYTHING can be used from shore successfully. The only limiting factor is if the cover prevents you from using certain lures or techniques. An obvious example would be if you're faced with dense vegetation, you won't be using deep crankbaits.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.