Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-05, 08:49 PM   #1
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default lakes

why do some lakes have really crappy bass fishing. im talking about lake jessup.(if anyone is familiar w/ the lake). i can understand if the conditions are terrible, but this lake is connected to the st johns river and has plenty of cover in it. its so confusing. it seems like a great fishing lake. the only thing i can think of is all of the gators.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 10:47 PM   #2
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Re: lakes

Isn't lake Jessup a mudhole?

There are some florida lakes that have a problem with too much dead and decaying vegitation on the bottom - making spawning near impossible for bass. The kissimmee lakes tend to have this problem but the state of florida pays big $$$ to draw them down and scoop out the muck every 15 years or so.

I don't really think its gators. Actually, commorants are much more lethal to the bass population.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 10:59 PM   #3
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

There are bass in jessup, unfortunately it is also ranked high up there on the pollution scale. Until the state or the St. Johns water management district does something it's just gonna get worse. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 11:11 PM   #4
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

As WTL said, there is way too much muck on the bottom for bass to spawn. The lake is tied into the St. Johns at the east end, but there is no circulation of water from the st. johns through the lake. This is why it is so mucky. In the 60's they built route 46 across the already pretty narrow channel connecting the lake to the river severely reducing the flow of water form lake jesup into the st. johns. Therefor when there is lots of rain the lake rises and isn't able to flow into the st. johns. The water level rises and takes silt from surrounding areas and deposits it on the bottom of the lake, accounting for the 20ft of muck on the bottom.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-05, 12:27 AM   #5
UGAROCKS2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to UGAROCKS2002

Hook up w/ me and i will show you how to realy fish the lake. I dont think you know much bout me but im almost 17 go to oviedo high and also familiar with lake jessup. give me an email at bassking376@yahoo.com with your phone # and ill show yas how to fish. I personaly think its this crapy weather we are having i just dont know why it wolnt go past 80 degrees down here lol ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D o well guess its just the curse of florida.
UGAROCKS2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-05, 08:37 PM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i was out on jessup the other day perch fishin w/ my stepdad and we went back into soldiers creek and the area looked great for bass fishin. i threw everything in my tackle box and got not even a nibble. thing is the fish were poppin the top of the water. i threw topwaters and got nothin. im goin to a lake this weekend near lk monroe,its not a well known lake and is not fished much by others. i get to fish it every other weekend so im lookin forward to gettin a few good sized bass. i hope the cold front doesnt screw things up.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-05, 11:57 PM   #7
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

There are a few points where there are hard bottoms on lake jessup. Near the western side there is an area with a bunch of grass and a sandy bottom, I'd bet the bass in that area isn't that bad.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.