Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-05, 11:38 PM   #1
Chiefnuts05
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Spinning Reel VS. Baitcaster

Okay, so here in the past year or so I've got heavy into fishing, im talking hitting all the lakes, ponds, rivers, ect. within a sensible driving distance. And i've always had about 10 or 11 poles or so at my disposal because they all belong to my dad. However in about two weeks im going off to college and i need a pole of my own, so i was just wondering if i could only take ONE pole with me that would run under 100 bucks which should i take? I use spinners and baitcasters but its just a tough choice to make. I like senko's, cranks, buzz baits and spinners, i use them all but im just unsure of which would do best for what i need!
Chiefnuts05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-05, 11:50 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

What do you fish most-small, light baits or heavier baits like jigs, T-rigs, etc? If I could at all manage it I'd take one of each-then your bases are covered.
Old 08-01-05, 12:03 AM   #3
Chiefnuts05
BassFishin.Com Member

See like i said, i fish everything, from weightless senkos and tiki sticks, to 3/8 OZ. spinner baits and buzz baits, and i just cant afford two decent poles, and my dad is just so anal about his poles i know there is no way im running off to school with one of his babies so im just in a pickle
Old 08-01-05, 12:14 AM   #4
Rebbasser

If it were me I'd go with the baitcaster. I throw all those baits you mentioned with a baitcaster-all I use a spinning rod for is drop shotting, finesse worms and small crankbaits like a Rapala.
Old 08-01-05, 12:18 AM   #5
InEccess
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

I've never fished baitcast, so I'd say spinning. You can fish ANY lure with one of these... Baitcast can do some better, but not the light weight kind. I'm sure either will hold you over until you work up enough cash to buy the other kind, so it's really a personal prefrence.
Old 08-01-05, 12:20 AM   #6
InEccess

I guess that's the difference between PA's version of fishing, and Texas fishing. Spinning and Baitcast.
Old 08-01-05, 12:31 AM   #7
Chiefnuts05
BassFishin.Com Member

See i LOVE to throw baitcasters, but i just havent found one that can throw a senko the way i want, but i can throw the hard plastics better with a baitcaster, so anyone know of a baitcaster than can handle the soft light plastics??
Old 08-01-05, 12:36 AM   #8
Rebbasser

Could be, InEccess, but I really think it is a function of the water you are fishing. I fish one lake that I would not even want to attempt to fish without a baitcaster spooled with braid the cover is so thick. But if I was fishing the Classic water I would pull the spinning rods out first thing. I do agree it comes down to personal preference-use what works for you.

Quote:
anyone know of a baitcaster than can handle the soft light plastics??
Yep. A Bass Pro Shops Extreme reel. I routinely throw a weightless finesse worm with no trouble. Just heading to college it may be more than you can afford right now. Christmas is coming, though .
Old 08-01-05, 01:06 AM   #9
Chiefnuts05
BassFishin.Com Member

Yea, you guys are probably right, it might just come down to personal preference, im heading up to Dick's Tuesday and im gonna look around and see what looks best i guess, by the way, these Kicktail things that they advertise on this site, anyone tried them? Looks like a really expensive substitute for live bait fish? i dunno
Old 08-01-05, 07:46 AM   #10
lizardsrule

Sorry to disagree with the master here, but if you can only have 1 rod/reel combo, make it a spinning reel. It can do anything the baitcaster can do, with a little modification of your technique, and it will also work skipping those senkos and light baits under docks. Plus you sure as heck don't want to be spending time clearing backlashes if you only have 1 rod. This is of course just MY OPINION.

Lizards
Old 08-01-05, 08:37 AM   #11
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

I Love Baitcasters I Use Them All The Time Now. I Can Hardly Throw A Spinning Reel Anymore. But If I Had To Go With One I Would Use A Spinning Reel. Kvd Was Jerking His Jerk Bait On A Spinning Reel Yesterday. They Are More Versitle Than A Baitcaster.
Old 08-01-05, 10:03 AM   #12
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like both, for a hundred bucks, you can get a 30 dollar spinning combo at Dicks, I think it was Okuma or something. Then Buy some line, I would suggest Firleline, because it lasts, unlike mono, which is what I use, because with mono I change every 5 fishing trips. Then with the left over money, see what else ya can buy!
Old 08-01-05, 11:16 AM   #13
Raul

Spinning reels have an abilty that "regular" baitcasters don´t have: the ability of casting extremely light weights with ease, but they twist the line; baitcasters don´t twist the line but on the other hand are not as "user friendly", it doesn´t mean that you can´t cast light stuff with them but it has more to do with the type of reel, the setting of the tension knob, the setting of the brake and how good you are in dominating the beast, I can cast as light as 1/16 oz with most of my baitcasters but I would not try that stunt with my Abu Black Max, that reel can´t do it. If Rebbasser recommends the Extreme for casting light stuff it´s because he has lots of experience with that particular reel, for casting light stuff I use a Shimano Scorpion reel, you can cast a weightless fluke into the next zip code with no problem on that reel.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-05, 11:22 AM   #14
JB

I'd like to see you throw a 1/16th ounce leadheaded jig with a baitcaster, and make it pinpoint a target over 20 feet away..

Last edited by JB; 08-01-05 at 12:53 PM.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-05, 11:53 AM   #15
PowerBass

JB, Denny Brauer doesnt even own a spinning rod. He throws all his lures on a caster.
Old 08-01-05, 12:05 PM   #16
Chiefnuts05
BassFishin.Com Member

Hmmm, a lot of good advice here, i might try what powerbass said and just see if its possible to get two decent poles for under 100 bucks, but i dunno how much luck im gonna have with only Wal-Mart and Dicks to pick from, not that they arent good places to find fishing equipment, cause they are, but Dicks tends to carry a lot of high end stuff and Wal-Mart has a lot of stuff on the lower end, at least thats the way everything works in my neck of the woods.
Old 08-01-05, 12:11 PM   #17
PowerBass

Chief,
Dicks has some nice gear for under 40 bucks. The Okuma Reel I told you about is a spinning. it has 5 bb's and is a 6ft 6in med or med hvy your choice. Fire line is 12 bucks for 125 yds. Puts you around 52 bucks. Now, get a Berkely Cherrywood for 18 bucks, a casitng rod of course. Then Shakespeare makes a Baitcaster called the Alpha for 20 bucks. If you get more money get the Rhino RBC300 baitcaster, it is the nicest caster I have used. If you go with the alpha and cherrywood is around 90 bucks with the spinning rod and reel. Now for line for the caster, I would get Trilene XT or Big gmae in 12lb or 15lb. This should bring to around 100 bucks give ore take a few dollars.
Old 08-01-05, 12:26 PM   #18
guacomole

I would go with powerbass' plan.
guacomole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-05, 01:01 PM   #19
Chiefnuts05
BassFishin.Com Member

Well powerbass that seems like quite the plan, im heading to Dicks and probably Wally World tomorrow and i reckon ill just keep you guys updated as to how i decided to spend my money, thanks for all the help
Old 08-01-05, 01:07 PM   #20
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
I'd like to see you throw a 1/16th ounce leadheaded jig with a baitcaster, and make it pinpoint a target over 20 feet away..
Wanna bet ?
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-05, 01:58 PM   #21
JB

1/16th ounce jig is a crappie jig size,

so, how far can you pinpoint it?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-05, 08:11 PM   #22
KH.

one thing is you cant backlash a spinner
Old 08-02-05, 08:18 PM   #23
InEccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh51501
Tell that to the guy who lost the Cast for a Million at bassmasters. He had the height, he had the distance, then his reel backlashed on him and it fell short. He was using a spinning reel.
Old 08-02-05, 08:19 PM   #24
PowerBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh51501
You most certainly can. BTW, you joined today and have 63 posts!?
Old 08-02-05, 08:22 PM   #25
KH.

hey powerbass now i got 64, i dont how in the world backlash a spinner i have never done it i dont even know how to try so whats up

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.