Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-05, 07:05 PM   #1
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default wind!!

yes dorthy wind. seeing it is blowing about 40+ and gusting to about 60 mph. i grabbed a couple of my sticks and went fishing from the bank.-had to work this morning-i have to say that the new reel-quatum energy ptx-metal - works amazingly well in the wind.-i was trying to backlash it-i only got 1 small backlash throwing a spinnerbait-the freebie bassman 30 gave me-while casting in to a 60mph gust. oh yeah caught 2 lil bass 1 on the spinner bait and one on a black diamond shad. water was nice and red-you could almost plow it- i was having to ride the spool with my thumb while casting the 3/8oz diamond shad -on my cranking stick- with a torno reel. but i was keeping my thumb off the quatum reel just to see how good it handled the wind.

i was just trying to get the hang of the new rod/reel combo. it was blowing so hard i was getting wind drift while trying to flip 1/2 oz spinner bait.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-05, 10:30 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: wind!!

Had that here yesterday. Today maybe 5-10 MPH. I'll take the 5-10 MPH!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-05, 10:37 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

we had to cancel the intercoastal fishin trip to the coast today because the winds were from 20-25 knots(around 30 mph) we are going out tommorrow, the wind isnt suposed to be that bad.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-05, 11:05 PM   #4
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I'm probably going to go to good ol' long lake tomorrow. It was real windy today, and high skies right after a cold front. SO I ended up going to BPS, got some jigs, a crank, a bait bindef, and some origingal fish formula on bassboss' reccomendation.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-05, 11:06 PM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

long lake sounds familair, where is it?
Old 04-02-05, 11:07 PM   #6
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

the lake that I always go to in my neighborhood in oviedo.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-05, 11:23 PM   #7
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

ha, im gunna go fish it and catch all the hawgs... lol. im not goin in the near future so dont worry about it.
Old 04-02-05, 11:38 PM   #8
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

pooper
fish formula is some good stuff- smell my zoom worm!!!

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 04-03-05, 01:49 PM   #9
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33

Hey Zooker. That Quantum reel is it the Black one???
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 02:21 PM   #10
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Zooker, I had the high winds here since thursday. Last night the rain changed to Hail and this morning it was snowing, We only have a inch of snow ,but its enough to make me very angry.It hasn't quit spitting the white stuff yet. I traded my Quantum E650PT reel for 2 Daiwa advantage reels. I hated the Quantum system compared to Daiwa magnets. Again its possible I had too much hot sauce in the bearings , because at any distance at all it wanted to backlash in some point of the cast.P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 03:43 PM   #11
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

yeah il i bite the big one and shelled out the 200 bucks for that reel. and trust me you get what you pay for that reel is SMOOTH has four differant brake settings. free and the first setting are almost the same. i had it set on 3 all day with 1 backlash. in 20-30 mph wind gusting to 45+mph. i was fooling with the brake setting's just to see if they impeeded my distance they don't noticably do so. i would shell out another 200-if i had it -for another of those reels in a second with no thought what so ever.
pnj let me know next time you are looking to get rid of a quatum mg huh?

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 04-03-05, 07:08 PM   #12
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Zooker, I meant to ask you if that old reel I fixed works for you ? I only traded this PT to see the new Daiwa advantage reels. Dicks had the E650PT for $99.99.They are worth the $159.99 regular price, I just got too many reels , I didn't need that one and I certainly don't need these 2 Daiwas.I like the Johnny Morris reels better than anything I have seen so far.I may be about to lose my job or I would buy half a dozen more of them.They let alot of people go friday and depending on our work situation, They may close up for good. The next 4 months will determine whether I have a job or not.I guess I went there looking for work 20 years ago, I can go elsewhere for a new job.P N J
Old 04-03-05, 07:18 PM   #13
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

YES sir it may grind like a coffee cutter but it cast and reels with out any problem i know it had to be a royal pain to find parts for it. it is an antique 310 quantum mag gear i have never found another 310.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 04-05-05, 06:56 PM   #14
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

EXCESSIVE WIND: You won't mind fishing when the wind is dimpling the surface, and things aren't so bad even when the wind periodically causes waves to form. But when you hear the weatherman proclaim that the wind will be blustery, you know that you are going to have to change your game plan when you visit your home lake the next day. The question is, what is the best game plan? The best way to answer that question is to explain how bass react to various forms of wind. Anglers know well that a breeze that gently disturbs the surface often causes bass to feed more aggressively. The same holds true when the surface has a slight or considerable chop to it. Indeed, bass will often feed just on or near the surface when those conditions are prevalent. When the breeze becomes a stiff wind, as is often true during the early spring, the bass tend to relocate. For example, look for the bass to be deep and around structure, especially point that the wind is blowing in on. Various prey species, from one celled organisms to baitfish, will have been forced into these same areas, and the bass will have followed them. Thus anglers should look upon excessively windy conditions as a challenge, but also as an opportunity. The bass are likely to be active, and the key to catching them is giving them the right lure presented in the right way. One of the most effective windy day artificials is a 1/2 to 1 ounce tandem willowleaf spinnerbait, especially if the water is clear or just slightly stained. The flash from the willowleaf blades makes this lure easy for the bass to see and to home in on, even in the wind buffeted water. Boat positioning is also a key. You will do better if you position your boat in accordance with the direction the wind is blowing. That means pointing the bow into the breeze and casting the lure upwind. Bass will be facing into the current waiting for food to be washed down to them. If the wind shifts direction sometime during the day, make sure that you react accordingly.

ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 07:03 PM   #15
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Robby, Wow, I am going to print your posts and read them like you would a good book. ;D I am so glad you are short and to the point. ;DJust kidding with you . Zooker it aint windy until the bass seek shelter under the cottage decks to keep from getting sea sick ? P N J
Old 04-09-05, 04:54 PM   #16
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Well, today it was my turn-talk about strong enough to blow the hair off a dog! TM on all day-finally went on the lee side of a long bridge to get out of the wind, only manages one dink on a watermelon/red tiki stick rigged wacky. Still, it was fun to get out on the water!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-05, 07:41 PM   #17
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

reb
drop an anchor over the back of the boat and drag it going with the wind. keeping the the boat fairly straight with the tm.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.