Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-08, 10:17 PM   #1
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Will a woman ever fish the Classic???

What with the women's classic and the men's classic being held pretty close to the same time, I got to wondering why can't women compete up to the level of men in tournament bass fishing? Although it's somewhat physical, it's nothing like football, basketball or even golf and although fishing takes some coordination, it doesn't take all that much coordination. It takes some basic skills and a reasonable degree of stamina but it's about 80% or more mental in my opinion. On the drawing board, at least, women should be able to compete up to the level of men in tournament fishing, unlike football or baseball. Why can't they? Do you think women will ever be able to fish up to the level of competition of the men? Forget politically correct and tell me what you really think and why, or why not.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 12:56 AM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My only question is where do they pee? I have heard of these little tents that you can put up in your boat for privacy to do your business, but it sounds like a PITA.
Other than that I sure don't see why not.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 01:05 AM   #3
InEccess

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

The WBT will do away with their Championship next year. The women will be qualifying for the Classic just like the men do from the Open Tournament Trails. I guess technically, they aren't doing away with their championship, but it does seem to lose a little bit of the mystique.
Old 02-25-08, 06:19 AM   #4
Cranebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
My only question is where do they pee? I have heard of these little tents that you can put up in your boat for privacy to do your business, but it sounds like a PITA.
Other than that I sure don't see why not.
Not to get side tracked but have you ever heard that expression "I'd drink a gallon of pee to see where it came from ? That don't usually apply to the bass touring women. There was Janet Parker and then way back before her there was Kathy Magers that that saying might apply to.

BTW, I was under the impression that a woman did in fact fish in the mens division before ? Whats the little blonde Austrailian girl Kim something anyways I thought she also fished in the mens division once or twice ?
Old 02-25-08, 08:50 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hey why not let the women in? they want to be equal, let them in. might even teach the guys a thing or two. i got no problem with it.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 09:58 PM   #6
Rebbasser

If they qualify like everybody else does then let them have at it. I have no problem with it.
Old 02-25-08, 10:18 PM   #7
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Hell, when we were in Alaska, there was more rednecks up there than down here! I was talking to this one man who slung 'er out and let 'er go all whilst he was trying to have a conversation with me! If you wanna go up there, unzip and off the boat she goes. No messin' around up there!

-Lunk-
Old 02-26-08, 11:37 PM   #8
WTL

It will happen. There are some sports where a woman beating a man can't happen, IE football, and some where it can. There was a tennis match I believe in the 70s where a woman beat a man. Danica Patrick is a good example as well. The philly, Ruffian, before she broke down was reputed to be among the best race horses in the world. And bass fishing can have a women compete at the same level as a man. While pro fishing requires you to have endurance, a women can do all that just as well as a man. You don't need strength or size.

No, the only reason it hasn't happened yet is because most girls get sidetracked by girly things, and bassfishin aint girly. But one day, a big bull dyke that could body slam KVD or choke Ike will win the classic, you wait and see.
Old 02-27-08, 12:05 AM   #9
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
It will happen. There was a tennis match I believe in the 70s where a woman beat a man.
Bad example. That was tennis great Billy Jean King in her prime who beat an aging Bobby Riggs (I think he was in his late 50s and way out of shape) in what was dubbed "the battle of the sexes". It was a spoof. I would bet a bundle that the #1 woman in the world in tennis today could not beat any of the top 50 men and probably none of the top 100 men.
Old 02-27-08, 12:15 AM   #10
WTL

Jigger, I'm not entirely certain that Serena Williams is not a man....but assuming she aint, I bet she could be the 50th ranked man.
Old 02-27-08, 12:20 AM   #11
Jigger

Talking

Quote:
Jigger, I'm not entirely certain that Serena Williams is not a man
WTL, you and I can finally agree on something. She's got shoulders and thighs like a linebacker. I'd pick her in a bar fight. Ha!!
Old 02-27-08, 01:02 PM   #12
rodman rat

At least one woman will fish with the men next year in the classic one will qualify out of WBT!! By the way gentalmen your secret is out!!! Women LOVE to fish
rodman rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 10:44 PM   #13
bamabassman

wish my wife loved to bass fish like me!! wait..did i say that outloud? haha. heck if she did she would take over my boat and rods and....oh no!! hhahaha.
Old 02-29-08, 12:07 PM   #14
basschick
BassFishin.Com Member

I loved reading all the points of view. There is almost nothing I love to do more than bass fish with my husband. I am not a big ol' dyke (just ask my husband) and I have two beautiful children that take most of my time, but the rest of my time is devoted to the all-consuming, highly addictive sport of bass fishing. I read the same articles you guys do, read on the internet as much as I can, maintain the best gear I can afford and am truly dedicated. This was the first site I decided to join, and I see I picked the right one. I can't wait to read your posts everyday, and I am certainly proud of the tips I have posted so far. I would love to match my skills with the womens pros, but I am truly satisfied with fishing small local tournaments with my husband. I still get ignored at the tackle counter, my husband has been laughed at on the water within earshot of me, but nothing is going to stop me from the next cast. Good fishing ladies and gentleman, I am proud to be on this site!
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 12:30 PM   #15
rodman rat

Go basschick!!! We are here to stay! My childern are grown and I work to afford the bait monkey and "the all-consuming, highly addictive sport of bass fishing". My husband too has been laughted at with in hear shot and he responds " she will out fish you any day! besides she brings the food and drives the boat".
Old 02-29-08, 12:35 PM   #16
WTL

Welcome bass chick. Lol, hope I didn't come off as suggesting that the only female bassers out there are dykes.

Its just when I imagine what the first female bassmasters classic champ will look like, somehow I picture a mix of janet reno and mellisa ethridge.
Old 02-29-08, 12:47 PM   #17
basschick
BassFishin.Com Member

I have to wonder too, WTL. Nice to meet both of you. It's truly amazing to meet another female basser. Rodman rat, your husband sounds great! Of course I think my husband's the lucky one because I love to fish. Just kidding!Take care and good fishing!
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 01:25 PM   #18
Cranebird

Quote:
hope I didn't come off as suggesting that the only female bassers out there are dykes.
you did whether or not you meant to ? let's just say the jury is still out.
C-bird squawk
Old 02-29-08, 04:08 PM   #19
MississippiBoy

Basschick, if those ignorant fools are laughing within earshot, chances are they're in casting range, also. Or at least close enough. Next time, tie on the biggest, meanest, "hookiest" rattletrap or crankbait you got, and play "Hook the Idiot." Great fun...
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 04:33 PM   #20
rodman rat

Too funny Mississippi!! I am a pretty accurate caster I will try that next time!!
AND NO I AM NOT A DYKE, so no! not all women that fish look like men!
Old 02-29-08, 04:40 PM   #21
Bob Smith

I've know a lot women bass fishing folk, and would not want to go head to head on soft plastics with them. Thier hands and fingers are a lot more sensitive than ours and when they figure out the difference between a fish and something else they can be deadly effective!
Basschick, you keep plugging away at it and compete whenever you can, even in bass clubs and local events. You and the Husband should join a C.A.S.T (Couples Angling Sporting Trail/Teams ?) circuit if one is available in your area. I will look over on the Texas Fishing Forum and see if I can find a link
Old 02-29-08, 05:24 PM   #22
pignjig

Rodman and Basschick- Ya'll chose the right site, in my opinion! Many of the other sites (not all, not all) are full of in-fighting and sarcasm. There's almost a cynical smell to 'em, if you will. I can't speak for anybody else, but I spent a while lurking around other sites before signin' on with BF.com. There's enough eye-pokin' and wedgie -pullin' but it's all in fun and the eye-pokers/wedgie providers are some of the most knowledgeable, experienced fishermen on the web-- that's easy to tell just by the excellent posts and input these rascals give. I hope you enjoy this site as much as I have!!!

-Pig
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 05:31 PM   #23
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Basschick, if those ignorant fools are laughing within earshot, chances are they're in casting range, also. Or at least close enough. Next time, tie on the biggest, meanest, "hookiest" rattletrap or crankbait you got, and play "Hook the Idiot." Great fun...
Weighted treble snagging hook will do. My tackle box always has one ready for them pesky JET-Ski's. I never thrown but offered to & i let them see it.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 06:59 PM   #24
bcklash

Hey guys and gals, I went to the classic last weekend and watched the women weigh in and I tell you, if most of them were on a boat with about any of us, our casting accuracy would drop 90%. My wife loves to fish but between working full time and her dog rescue she doesn't go as often we would like. No doubt a good thing for me, I catch fish when she don't go, for what ever reason !!!! All kidding a side she can fish. Welcome Bass Chick and Rodman Rat.
Old 02-29-08, 08:03 PM   #25
bamabassman

rodman and basschick, i would welcome both of you to come and fish with me. heck, maybe ya'll can help me get my wife to enjoy it. she gets impatient. if she don't get a bits within 10 mins. she is ready to go for a swim. see she is from mobile, al. i swear she has gills. cause i got her off the beach, lol. she is a dolphin i think. can't go near water without going in. but anyway i love the thought of women fishing. your hubbys can be real proud. next time you get ignored at the counter, start talking tech stuff to the salesperson. that'll teach em to iggy you gals. good luck ladies.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.