Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-05, 10:17 AM   #1
JORDAN54
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to JORDAN54
Question 36 volt trolling motor

I have a 36 volt Motor Guide trolling motor. As of right now I am only running it with 2 12 volt batteries and very little room to add another. Are there any batteries that are 24 volt and are about the same size as a 12 volt? Or should I try to make room for a third one. I am also thinking about just buying two optima batteries and seeing if that makes a difference in the way the trolling motor performs. The trolling motors works good for awhile then seems to loose juice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basscat pic.JPG
Views:	648
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	59  
JORDAN54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-05, 07:20 PM   #2
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

no idea, but nice boat
Old 12-17-05, 01:09 AM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have never heard of one, Jordan, but that doesn't mean their isn't one.
Old 12-17-05, 08:02 AM   #4
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

There is no 24 volt batteries made. The only way to get 36 colt is to go ahead make room for the third battery. You can use 2 trolling motor batteris and your cranking battery for the third with some carefuyl wiring and a switch. That is the way 90% of the 36volt trollers are hooked up from the manufacturer.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-05, 07:49 PM   #5
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i'm with laser.he knows his chit when it comes to boats.
i never tried the optimas.a friend tried them,he didn't like 'em.i believe you can't use just a regular charger with optimas.best batteries i ever used(and i tried a bunch)are delco voyagers.
bassintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-05, 09:13 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Quote:
i'm with laser.he knows his chit when it comes to boats.
Yes he does. I like Eversarts from WalMart. No matter where I fish there is usually a WalMart close by, they won't cost an arm and a leg, and most importantly, they work!
Old 12-19-05, 07:09 AM   #7
1FASTLASER

BassinTom and Rebbasser appreciate the acknowlegements. A little heads up on battery care. Normally I can get 5 years on a set of troller batteries with a little effort on my part. Every late winter when its normally raining I take out my batteries and dump them. Rinse them throughly with water to remove all the sediments in the batteries. Go to your local parts store and get some fresh battery acid. Normally costs about $15to get enough for my 3 batteries. Fill em up and there good to go for another year.
Old 12-19-05, 09:30 AM   #8
JORDAN54
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for the info. I will try to wire up the cranking battery with the other two, or just leave it the way it is.
Old 12-20-05, 07:06 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

If you need the wiring shematic that I am talking bout give me aholler and I will try and find it on the net and post it fer ya. LOL MY TYPING SUCKS>LOL LMOA my spellin aint to good neither.
Old 12-20-05, 06:56 PM   #10
zooker

laser
nah ya don't say.

zooker
Old 12-21-05, 09:38 AM   #11
JORDAN54
BassFishin.Com Member

1fastlaser,
If you can find that schematic, it would be greatly appreciated. I am not real sure on how the batteries are supposed to be hooked up. I would rather do it that way. My dash is all digital and in order to run the live wells, I have to have that on. The dash itself is hooked up to the cranking battery ( not the livewells) and I am always worried about running it down. Would I have to have a triple charger instead of a dual battery charger?

Thanks ahead of time!!
Old 12-22-05, 07:23 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

Jordan

No you wont need a triple charger being that with the switch wired in all you will have to do is make sure that when you charge the batteries that it is in the right position to charge the trolling batteries. The engine alternator system will take carer of the main battery. One word of caution on wiring this way. I assume you have a voltmeter on board. You will have to keep a eye on the main battery charge if say you are fishing in a tough wind and using the trolling motor on 36v for extended periods. When using this wiring hookup you will have to make a mental note on when ever you need to turn the key on to supply power to the motor make sure that you put the switch in the right position. The main engine is designed for 12v not 36v. I will start looking for the schematic for you and get it to you. I can post it on here or send me your email addy. No ptoblem at all helping you out.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.