Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-05, 03:01 PM   #1
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Wat do u prefer?

a 2 piece rod or a 1 piece? and why? i always liked a 2 piece cause im a shore fisherman and alot of times im workin my way through the woods to find different fishin spots and a 2 piece is easier to handle through there.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 03:41 PM   #2
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman
Default Re: Wat do u prefer?

FISHER,

Did you mis-spell "WHAT" or are you Canadian?

Eh, Wat!

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 04:33 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i spell it that way cause its shorter. and its a habit.
Old 03-14-05, 05:11 PM   #4
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Go ahead and try and break that habit 02, it will help u mur dan u reelize.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 05:26 PM   #5
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I own both. I did prefer the 2 piece rods because I didn't own a truck and breaking them down would allow them to fit in the trunk of my little car. However, I do like the one pieces because I have had a couple of my 2 pieces come apart on me while reeling in a fish.
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 05:38 PM   #6
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I use both for different things. When I need to pack a rod and bring it on a trip, two-piece is the waty to go. But I feel that a one piece has moe sensitivity than a two-piece so when I'm just going out somewhere or if its a tournament, one piece.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 05:39 PM   #7
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

So I don't get accused of avoiding the question, 2 piece rods are probably fine for bank fishermen. There are few pro tourney anglers who use them because they are always a little heavier and a little less sensitive than 1 piece rods. If you want to maximize your advantages when fishing for bass, go with a higher quality 1 piece rod.

The exception, as our esteemed colleague Bassfisher02 noted already, might be when making forays into wooded areas or long hikes. For instance there was an occasion once when I hiked with my 5 piece pfluegner fly rod over several mountains and hills on the Isle of Skye in Scotland and fished for virginal brown trout. I would have never wanted to hike over those mountains with a 9 foot fly rod getting in the way, but packed in my backpack I didn't notice that I was carrying a pack fly rod until I finally reached the river Hamara.
Old 03-14-05, 05:46 PM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=WTL link=board=MessBoards;num=1110823288;start=0#6 date=03/14/05 at 15:39:49]So I don't get accused of avoiding the question, 2 piece rods are probably fine for bank fishermen. There are few pro tourney anglers who use them because they are always a little heavier and a little less sensitive than 1 piece rods. If you want to maximize your advantages when fishing for bass, go with a higher quality 1 piece rod.

The exception, as our esteemed colleague Bassfisher02 noted already, might be when making forays into wooded areas or long hikes. For instance there was an occasion once when I hiked with my 5 piece pfluegner fly rod over several mountains and hills on the Isle of Skye in Scotland and fished for virginal brown trout. I would have never wanted to hike over those mountains with a 9 foot fly rod getting in the way, but packed in my backpack I didn't notice that I was carrying a pack fly rod until I finally reached the river Hamara.
[/quote]

What he said. I've also had some of the 2 piece rods come apart on the cast and on hookset. If it's a longer rod(7' or longer) I might consider it, but I would prefer a 1 piece.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 06:04 PM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

ya ive had the 2 piece come apart a few times on me. i only have 2 rods and that 2 piece i have is 5''6' :P it has no backbone. but untill i get more money to buy a new rod it will have to do. im plannin on gettin a rod in the 6''6' range and a 2 piece. the other rod i have is a 7' one piece. i brought it with me once in the woods and will never do it again cause i almost broke the tip off :-/
Old 03-14-05, 06:09 PM   #10
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

Bassfisher02,
Now you have done it..... Spelling Police Officer JackL will not put up with your sillyness, lets just hope Zooker doesn't see this post :-/..............Just kidding guys ;D

KYbasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 06:14 PM   #11
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

I always used to use two piece until I started fishing for bass. I also had rods come apart when casting. I used to use spinning but since I now use bait casting reels I just purchase 1 piece rods. I still use spinning but the new rods i bought were one piece. I kept two, two piece ugly sticks. The rest I got rid of.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 06:56 PM   #12
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

To all you guys that have two piece rods that come apart. If it is the type that has the fiberglass ferrel, where the tip slips over the lower part of the rod, here is a quick fix;
Coat the bottom of the ferrel with a heavy coat of clear fingernail polish and let it dry, then add another coat of clear polish and let that dry overnight. Your rod tip should tighten up and keep from coming off.

As far as sensitivity with a two piece rod, Bill Dance used to have a trick he would demonstrate at some of his seminars. He would have a volunteer come up on the stage and hold a 1 piece rod, while Bill would put the tip against his adams apple. They would carry on a conversation for a while, then switch out and do the same thing with a two piece rod. Every time, the volunteer would say that thy could not tell the difference in the sensitivity between the two rods.

JackL
Old 03-14-05, 07:01 PM   #13
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Well gee whiz, if Bill Dance says its not so then it must be not so.
Old 03-14-05, 07:04 PM   #14
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Yeah wat JackL said. ;D ;D ;D I like a one peice for no reason that I can think of, I think the best thing is to keep everything as simple as possible and there will be less problems down the road.Two peice rods are good if they're meant to be two peices instead of one. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 08:26 PM   #15
housework101
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to housework101

I used to have a nice two piece spinning rod and always liked it,until one fall day on the mississippi I cast out a large muskie lure and the dang thing came apart on the cast.
Then just as sure as could be a big muskie came up and grabed the lure as I was fumbling around trying to get it back together and the fight was on with half a rod,wanna guess who won? I took the reel off and threw the rod in the river. >
This was 20 years ago so maybe they fit a little better nowadays but I havn't bought one since.
housework101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 08:43 PM   #16
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i only own a hand ful of eglass rods all of which are 2 piece. the shortest being 8 foot. they are desinged to come apart so more than likly they will Â*often with out notice.
i never use these rods in pursuit of black bass. all of those are graphite one piece's. although i have caught black bass on them there aint much fight from a 5 pound black bass on a 14' surf stick. i use the 2 piece e-glass rods mostly for striper and cat fish.

ZOOKER

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 08:52 PM   #17
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Wat do u prefer?

I have no idea what that means, but since everyone else is talking about 1 piece vs 2 piece rods, I'll throw this out.

2 piece rods are just fine.

For perch jerkers and tourists.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 09:17 PM   #18
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

cajun have u never heard the saying ''what do you prefer''? What do you prefer, a 1 piece rod or a 2 piece rod? that was the question just to clear things up.
Old 03-16-05, 07:17 PM   #19
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

bf02,
i personally like the 2 piece rods because i too am a shore fisherman, and as you stated, the treks in the woods can suck and they do suck with out a rod that breaks down. I have 1 ,2 piece rod, which is a 5 ft 6 in light action by quantum. My other 2 rods are a 5ft 3 in Fenwick, and a mitchell 6 ft medium action baticaster, Until i buy a cheapo 6 ft medium 2 piece from walmart or save and buy the fenwick eagle gt 6ft 6in medium 2 piece these will have to make due
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-05, 09:01 PM   #20
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

I think it was "WAT" and "U" that CAJUN was having trouble with. He only speaks ENGLISH, not some preppy shorthand type of words!

JackL
Old 03-17-05, 12:54 AM   #21
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

''preppy'' i seriously doubt that any one that is a prep would use short hand words. it is a fast way of typing and is a habit. if u look in my more recent posts u will see that i am spelling what correctly. the ''u'' will take some time. now i see why u guys call jackl the spelling police. last time i checked i talk english. i could be wrong tho. :-/
Old 03-17-05, 01:01 AM   #22
fisherwoman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fisherwoman

1 pce. only.
my predjudice against 2 pce. goes back to when metal ferrules where used, they created an ugly flat spot in the working curve when the rod was loaded effectively killing the action <><
fisherwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 01:26 AM   #23
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Now that I think about it, I guess I do like two piece

swimsuits. ;D ;D ;D
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 01:58 AM   #24
bassmania25
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmania25

hula popper i knew where you were going immediately when i saw the post before i scrolled down I only have cheapy 2 piece rods for the kids to use when trout fishing. maybe theres no difference in sensibility but I believe the strength of the rod suffers with it being in 2 pieces. To take kids fishing for 20 dollar rods, 2 piece is fine. I wont risk my paycheck or tourney standings on a two piece rod............ Scott R
bassmania25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 02:06 AM   #25
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Never fear patrons of bassfishin.com, I shall transalate for bassfisher02...

"Preppy? Â*I seriously doubt that any preps would use short hand words. Â*My writing style is both fast and a habit. Â*If you look at my more recent posts, you should notice that I am now spelling the word "what" correctly. Â*Learning to spell the word "you" will take some time, as the Florida public school system has yet to cover that material. Â*Now I suppose I see why everyone here calls Jackl the spelling police! Â*I could be wrong, but the last time I checked I spoke English. "

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.