Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-06, 05:24 AM   #1
Denny_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default IKE the baby

What an the LORD oF THE RINGS was Ike's problem!!!!!!.I just tolerate him...I respect him but he dropped some more knotches with me ,ripping that rear light post off the back of the boat....yayaya I know the fish where dead..but your a pro...MAN act like it.The damn boat was prob. new BASS does not need that!!!!!
Denny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 05:59 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ya never know ...BASS may have a acting coach to give him pointers on how to act "emotional"...makes for higher ratings huh...
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 11:44 AM   #3
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

i love mike iconelli....he's true to hiself no matter who it irritates.....as if any of us have never gotten so agrivated that we didn't throw a fit or two....the only difference is he's always being bombarded by about a zillion cameras...so when he has a fit it's national news....think about it....you can't say you've never had a day like that...if you do then your not true to yourself in your honesty....i say GO IKE!!!!!!.....NEVER GIVE UP....he's one of the best fisherman i've ever met...and yes i have met him ....he's a real down to earth man that happens to have an overwhelming passion.....
Old 02-25-06, 12:31 PM   #4
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yeah he seems to be a cool dude. i just dont like the wild fits after very catch. he's a pro, and a good one, so we hear his "its a toad" much more often. hell, id scream like that, but thats only because i havent set a hook in so long lol
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 12:51 PM   #5
flippin4it

Can anyone honestly say how we would react in the middle of the Bassmaster Classic. I san no, non of us have never even come close to that kind of pressure. I have been in the finals at the local drag strip,in the heat of a big rival football game and when i was young and stupid i street raced for $1500.oo bucks. I have never come close to the "SUPER BOWL" of bass fishing. Cut him some slack. We are all human. What he did was wrong,he hurt his fans and sponsors.
Old 02-25-06, 12:57 PM   #6
InEccess

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

I agree with Flippin. If I went to my livewell and my livelihood was floating belly up, I'd probably say the same words Ike said. Also since the Triton boat he's fishing on isn't is own boat, if the livewell's malfunctioning, I'd be throwing a tantrum as well. And I don't even have any camera's on me.
Old 02-25-06, 01:36 PM   #7
JigginJim
BassFishin.Com Member

Out of 51 contestants, he is the only one that behaves that way. He slipped that dead fish off the back of the boat, and thought that he could get away with it. He knew the rules, and he did it anyway. Then he went on to trash a light pole with the AMERICAN flag on it. He was disqualified for unsportsman like conduct, and it was a long time coming.

Is this the role model that you want your kids to follow ? The man needs a visit to a Shrink to prehaps straighten him out. Lack of that kind of control is a mental problem. For proper control, check on the remaining 50 contestants to see how they behave. There is no place on the tour for a non - sportsman !

- JJ
JigginJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 01:39 PM   #8
crankybait

well it isnt exactly his fault the fish died... and hey, if somone elses livewell got messed up and the fish died, im sure they wouldnt want to be penalized for it either. and this tourney means a lot to him. much more han a flagpost. dead fish would reduce his chances
Old 02-25-06, 01:45 PM   #9
TackleTester

Send a message via AIM to TackleTester

cranky, it is his fault the fish died....the bass people told him to use this pump..he hated the pump they wanted him to use so he took it out..so this fish died....therefore, his fault...

so cranky, you are saying that if i get a C on one of my tests, i can throw the desk out the window?....no, Ike was way out of line....I like Ike, one of my favorite anglers, but that was uncalled for......

Denny's right BASS did not need that......and JB, it's possible you are right that it could have been rigged, but i doubt it b/c they disqualified his day 1 catch....he would nvr have agreed to that...he's in last place right now.......
TackleTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 02:03 PM   #10
JigginJim
BassFishin.Com Member

We are talking about BEHAVIOR here. The man is out of control. It is his fault that the fish died. He is the captain of his ship, and responsible for the boats performance. Would you fly with a pilot who didn't pre-flight his aircraft ? You eventually did see the live well working when he remembered to turn it on. Ike is the only one who is responsible for his own behavior, he blew it, and he did it on National TV.

But most important here is, that nothing that you can say can excuse him from dropping that dead fish back into the water, he knew it was against the rules, and he did it anyway. That is against the rules, and if you are not ready to play the game according to the rules, then you shouldn't be on the tour !
Old 02-25-06, 02:05 PM   #11
crankybait

oh my bad i didnt know about the pump. it wasnt his boat, so i was thinking maybe the livewell hadnt been taken care of correctly. and tackletester, maybe if you got all0s on your report card, then go ahead and throw your desk out of the window. i would.but a c isnt that big of a deal. a huge ginormous important tourney is. but if he didnt use the pump, he should be angry at himself if anything
Old 02-25-06, 02:07 PM   #12
crankybait

and jiggin somewhere else someone said it wasnt his boat. BASS owns them all. if the livewell was broken, and it wasnt related to him at all, dropping the fish out was kinda reasonable, even though it was totally unacceptable
Old 02-25-06, 02:08 PM   #13
Rebbasser

Actually I don't think it is against the BASS rules-Ike called someone and asked it it was legal and apparently it is, although is sure should be, and regardless it sure ain't right. However, it probably IS illegal-I know it is here in Texas.

Cranky, it IS his responsibility. There are several back up boats available in case one has a mechanical problem, and it is the responsibility of the angler to check it out to make sure it is in working order. The pre-flight of an airplane is a good analogy.
Old 02-25-06, 02:13 PM   #14
crankybait

oh my bad. sorry but i dont know much about tournaments
Old 02-25-06, 02:26 PM   #15
Rebbasser

No problem-you are learning, which is the important part.
Old 02-25-06, 02:37 PM   #16
crankybait

true that, hopefully some day ill be in the classics and not rip out my tailights
Old 02-25-06, 02:46 PM   #17
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

I don't know how I would act honestly. I've broken rods before on a missed fish, and then afterwards, was like............damn that was stupid. That was just over a missed fish in a local tourney. I can't honestly say what I would do if that happend in the Classic. I would be cussin though. Sterotypical Sailor.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 04:17 PM   #18
lovinfishin9

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

I like Ike, ive met him, hes a real nice guy, hes a good fisher and a real fun guy to talk to. but throwing that fish out was wrong. Like most everyone here has said i have no idea how i would act if that happened to me. I would probably blow up like he did too but i still aint saying it was right.
Old 02-25-06, 04:24 PM   #19
JB

I think the point of contention was ....is it against BASS rules to put a dead fish in the waters, or the state of fla. rules in the DNR dept about releasing a dead fish....since its not been on the news yet, I am guessing the state won't do anything, unless a officer was there viewing ike dumping them..I've never heard of any laws like that in ohio, although I am still wondering why fish in rather cool water would die that quickly in his live well, airator on or not, I wonder if the shock of being snagged so hard, right after a spawn, left them weak...I've seen plenty of fish die on hot days, but for cooler weather, I've seen days where you don't even need the pump running or airater.. Of course on tournies days most wont take that chance and keep them running on a timer..I bet he just forgot to turn it on, thinking he had set the timer and never double checked...
anyway for whats its worth, he's out of the money this time...
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 05:06 PM   #20
Bender

Well it looks like he had under 9 pounds today so I guess he is out anyway. http://espn.winnercomm.com/default.asp?div=PRO&mode=WI
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 10:08 PM   #21
bass kicker

hey tackle tester i have thrown a desk out of a door because i failed when i sould of passed
Old 02-25-06, 10:15 PM   #22
bass kicker

and REb i think they have Ten back up boats and a ton on marine technitions on hand as well
Old 02-25-06, 10:26 PM   #23
huston10
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Professionals in Sports

Re: Iaconelli DQ'ed « Reply #20 on: Today at 08:41:19 PM »
You know guys, most all professional sports in the last twenty years have taken a turn for the worst. The culprit behind this is money. It was just a matter of time before the fishing circuit got in to it. These professionals get paid the kind of money it would take a lifetime to earn, working a regular job. Heck, in one season, you couldn't make what they make working 30 years. There are sacrifices they make, but you make them everyday also going to your job. Trying to become a professional fisherman to me is a pretty rough job. Add big money to that and what do you have. Havoc, chaos, wrong doing etc.... To me, if I can't have fun, I don't do it. When money gets involved in having fun, you are asking for problems. I fish when I can and I don't care what it cost, cause I love to fish.........period.
huston10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 11:38 PM   #24
JigginJim
BassFishin.Com Member

The guy has a serious mental problem. I honestly would like to see him get some professional psychiatric help, and return to the tour as a Sportsman. Right now, he doesn't qualify.

- JJ
Old 02-26-06, 12:03 AM   #25
Rebbasser

Welcome to the forum, Huston10!

Quote:
I fish when I can and I don't care what it cost, cause I love to fish.........period.
I think that could be said for quite a few of us.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.