Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-05, 09:14 PM   #1
JORDAN54
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to JORDAN54
Question SUv advice.

I have a 19foot rig w/ a 200hp. I was wondering what kind of Suv's people are using to pull their rigs with and what size motor that thay have in them.
JORDAN54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-05, 10:59 PM   #2
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Most SUV's these days are capable of handling most small bass rigs or bay, flat water boats.
Old 09-22-05, 11:45 PM   #3
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Not me but my friends Dad uses a 2001 Chevrolet Suburban and they have like a 15-20ft boat. Its huge and got big engine.
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-05, 04:38 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ok first question what kind of boat? a 19 foot ranger weighs alot more than a 19 foot triton. stratos is in between.. i have towed several boats in the 17-18 foot range with my ford ranger with a 30l v6. my 78 jeep i have hauled a 27 foot larson commader on a tri axle trailer. just depends on horse power and tow rating.. i know rangers and exporlers are about the same 2500-3000 pounds. with a 300 pound tounge weight. as my jeep has a class 4 resse hitch 600 pound tounge weight limit. as for how much . i aint sure. that larson weighs like 7000 pounds with out the moter-had a 302 in board in it.. i knew it was there for sure... even dug a nice ditch up my brother-in-laws driveway-it is his boat-

zooker
Old 09-25-05, 12:38 PM   #5
JORDAN54
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to JORDAN54

I have a 99 Bass cat Panera III w/ a tandem axle trailer. My biggest worry about a Suv is the ride. Having a smaller wheel base than a normal pickup I am worried that ride is going to be rough and that if I need to stop fast that the boat will push the SUV. Have you heard any thing about the new Grand Cherokee with the Hemi's. I am kind of leaning towards them right now.
JORDAN54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-05, 05:02 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

Buy a Chevy half ton and dont worry bout hooking upto anything or not being able to pull it. It will" GIT ER DONE"
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-05, 05:39 PM   #7
zooker

most of the larger boat trailers come with brakes on the trailer. bass cat build one of the best trailers on the market. you may have to rig up a electric braking system.or your trailer may have surge brakes -there is several kinds-tandum trailers usally have less tounge weight. and tow better than a single axle trailer. not sure why you are conserned with ride.the suv should act a tad bit more bouncer in the rear. and a bunch slugish coming out of the lights. but as you did not post what type of suv you have it makes say yeah that will tow it very diffacult..

zooker
Old 09-29-05, 06:14 PM   #8
Jackl

JORDAN,
There is a lot to take into consideration as to what will tow what. You will be better off with larger displacement engines, as long as the rear drive is geared properly. For instance, I have a 19 ft Ranger, (loaded weight about 3000lbs) that I pull with my 2004 Chev Tahoe (327 cubic inch displacement and a 3.70 to 1 rear gear ratio) which pulls quite easily. It does not handle the towing as well as my old 1999 Chev Tahoe (350 cubic inch displacement and a 3.50 to 1 rear gear ratio) What I am trying to say is that the smaller the motor, the lower gear ratio you need. Like everyone else is saying, don't buy a boat without surge brakes on the trailer, it is an accident looking for a place to happen
The hemi is enough motor to handle most towing needs, but from what I am hearing from owners, the fuel costs will eat you alive.

JackL
Old 09-29-05, 07:08 PM   #9
JB

I'd also throw in that getting a automatic tranny on that suv or truck verses

having a clutch.
On the ramp over use of a clutch getting back up the hill can often make them heat up and smoke if ya arent careful.
Plus that trick of releasing the brake to pop the clutch to get going, esp if you're alone loading .
Its really no big deal once ya get the hang of it, my partner and I towed his glasstron with a 86 ranger and often the clutch got a pretty good workout.
Once he traded up to a bronco automatic, it was easier thats fer sure JMO on the subject
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-05, 01:50 AM   #10
Nitro911

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER
Buy a Chevy half ton and dont worry bout hooking upto anything or not being able to pull it. It will" GIT ER DONE"
OR...you could get a REAL truck like a Ford Super Duty and really not have to worry about what you hook up to it.
Old 09-30-05, 08:53 AM   #11
lizardsrule

Just traded in my 2004 Z71 1500 for a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer, better gas mileage, and has 5700lbs towing, with v6 291hp vortec motor, with a 3.73 rearend 4X4. I had one of these in 2002 models, and it pulled a 18ft runabout loaded without any problems. I think for towing, the trailblazer is the best mid sized SUV. If gas prices, and size and money weren't an issue(yeah right), then I'b be driving a Denali. A freind of mine has a 1999 GMC Jimmy that he pulls a ranger 18 ft boat with tandem trailer no problems, it does however have a towing package on it, and he drives pretty slow especailly being 70 years old .

Lizards
Old 09-30-05, 10:45 AM   #12
flfireman

Lizards, my respect keeps growing and growing for you. My old truck-Z71- traded it for the 2500 crew cab 4x4. Wife has a 2003 trailblazer-3rd row seating and all. Have pulled my small aluminum boat w/ both-no problem. Have pulled a trailer w/ 3 fourwheelers w/ trailblazer-no problem. Haven't found a thing my 2500 wont pull yet. Friend of mine has a Honda Pilot w/ 6 cylinder-he has pulled his 18 ft Polar w/ 0 problems.
Old 09-30-05, 04:18 PM   #13
zooker

as lizard elluded to a towing package which consite of a resse hitch and a transmiton cooler. if you have the hitch the cooler only cost $2-300 installed but will save your tranny which start at $2000-2 wheel drive -and $4000 4x4. i would recommend that unless you are towing a small jon type boat to have both of these installed on your truck/suv. the tranny cooler is best installed by a good mechinic as they have to drill and tap in your tranny..

zooker
Old 10-01-05, 06:46 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

Nitro

If he buys a ford he will be on the side of the road all the time watching everyone else going to the lake.LOL
Old 10-01-05, 07:07 AM   #15
zooker

errr MR laser i put more miles on a ford a year than you have in the past 5 years. and i have been doing so since 88 when i sold my blown up chevy for a ford and never regreted it since..though i have own a bunch of other cars. still keep coming back to the ford ..

zooker
Old 10-01-05, 01:04 PM   #16
Jackl

ZOOKER,
Here is a way to add a tranny cooler for under $100. Go to your dealer and ask a mechanic which line is the return oil line from the tranny cooler in the bottom of the radiator back to the transmission. Take that return line loose and screw a hose barb type fitting into the outlet in the bottom of the radiator. Run a piece of heavy wall neoprene tubing from this hose barb to a after market tranny cooler mounted in front of the radiator, then run another hose back and slide it over the factory steel return line back to the transmission and secure all hoses with gear type hose clamps. The good part about this is you can decide wht size tranny cooler you want to install. You can install one twice or three times the size of the factory cooler and still cost less than a factory installation. I would suggest that you install a piece of 1/8 inch mesh hail screen in front of the oil cooler to keep the bugs from plugging the cooling passages. This mesh can be attached with nylon wire ties to hold it in place.
I added a second tranny cooler in series with the factory cooler, so I have twice the cooling.

JackL
Old 10-01-05, 01:44 PM   #17
zooker

mine was factory installed on the last 3 trucks i owned..
zooker
Old 10-01-05, 02:40 PM   #18
Jackl

ZOOKER,
I, like you have ordered my vehicles with factory tow packages since they were introduced, however, there are some anglers on this site that have to buy "Pre-Owned", which may or may not have a tranny cooler installed. Also, the factory cooler can use some help if you are pulling a heavy boat. Install a temp gauge in your tranny and see what the temp actually is, even with a factory cooler. It may surprise you!!!

JackL
Old 10-01-05, 04:22 PM   #19
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have a 20 foot Norris Craft(pictured in my avatar), I used to pull with a full size Bronco now I pull with a Mercedes ML350. Dont freak the MB does not cosyt anymore than any other sport utility.The MB will pull 5000 lb with a 200 lb tongue weight.It is all wheel drive with a 2 speed differential and should get 18 mpg towing..The thing to really consider is not how well it pulls the boat but how well it stops the boat at highway speeds.You could pull the boat with a Toyata pickup,but if you have to stop at 60 MPH wake your buddy up because he has never seen a wreck like the one you are fixing to have.I live in East Tennesee where it is very hilly. The boat never stalls or slows the truck down and by the way they are made in Ala.Fish2win
Old 10-02-05, 06:05 AM   #20
zooker

better one i was loading my boat this guy using a jeep wrangler towing a 520 ranger. pulled round to back down the steepest ramp on the lake. it dragged the jeep 1/2 way down the ramp -which is long-with both front wheels 6 feet in the air. he dropped it in first and nailed it he did a wheelie all the way up the ramp to land quite heavily on the top..since i know this guy he has never used his wifes jeep since to pull nothing..

used to pull my triton jon boat with a mercury sable wagoon..

zooker
Old 10-02-05, 06:55 AM   #21
1FASTLASER

ZOOKER

Some people never learn. LOL J/K
Old 10-06-05, 08:39 PM   #22
KH.

im no expert,but a escalade would look nice,but i dont know any thing about
its horsepower or tow rating.just a thought!
Old 11-29-05, 03:27 PM   #23
bassnman30

One thing about SUV's , your vision should be better and your turn radius may increase. I currently have a Dodge Durango and my vision as well as turn radius is much better than some of the pick up trucks that I've seen.
Even with less visibility, my next vehicle will be a truck, don't need 4 wheel drive but a V8 is a must.
Old 12-01-05, 03:23 PM   #24
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

Ford Chevy Dodge Nissan. Doesnt Matter A Full Size Suv Will (should) Tow A Bass Boat. But Around Here Up In The Mountains Getting Up The Mountains Aint The Problem Its Coming Back Down. If You Buy A Used Vehichle Make Sure It Has Good Brakes. If Any Of You Have Any Questions Ask Me I Am The Used Car ***. Manager Of A Dealership. I Will Give You The Right Money And My Honest Opinion.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.