Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-05, 09:04 AM   #1
River stumps
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Fuel stabilizer

I know some of you fish year around. But you that store your boat for winter, what kind of fuel stabilizer do you use? I use Stor-and- stop, don't know if it's the best but it's always served me. Seems like I always store mine with an almost full tank usually from 10 to 13 gal.
Old 12-11-05, 04:10 PM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I used stabil, but I am switching to Sea Foam brand thanks to Angelus recommending it.I use sea foam fogging spray to winterize the motor and it works fine. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 04:35 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

stabil in the gas tank and seafoam deep creep in the moter. but than my boat never sits long enough for any of it.

just run a fouler tank of sea foam thru the moter today . put new plugs in she be ready to go now...

zooker
Old 12-12-05, 06:15 PM   #4
Christopherkeene9

What is winterizing and what is not fishing year round I don't understand??

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 10:31 PM   #5
flfireman

Thats a strange ritual them yankees have to go through every year. Don't quite understand it myself.
Old 12-13-05, 07:55 AM   #6
River stumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherkeene9
What is winterizing and what is not fishing year round I don't understand??

Chris
Winterizing is staying in out of the cold... Not fishing is twidleing your thumbs and waiting for the weather to get warm enough to go fish again... On the serious side . Some with health conditions would rather not take the chance on missing out on the upcomming spring thaw. Therefore we park the baots and and wait..Sad but true.
Old 12-13-05, 10:48 AM   #7
Fish2win

Zook, If you only have a 2 or 3 month layover then Stabil in the tank is all you need other than checking for water in the lower unit. If you store outside or where the temp inside can be below freezing be sure to check the lower unit and store with the motor tilted down. This is especially true if you have had a nose cone and low water pick-up done.I dont go more than a month in the winter without running my motor. I do these two precautions each winter just in case.Iknow you are not new at this but just in case or for someone elses benefit. Us southern boys have a short winter advantage . Fish2win
Old 12-13-05, 07:13 PM   #8
zooker

fishin2win

let me rephrase that line. my boat runs every weekend..year round.. i changed the lower unit oil in november but i still will take the bolt out and squeeze some in just to make sure there is no water in it ..please note 99% of all out boards leek water into the lower unit.. even if it is a minute amount.. some are self draining older moters are not.. once i yank mine out after fishing all day .i lower my moter drain the water and crank the moter -it will fire- then shut it down. this removes all the water from the water pump housing. which is were 75% off all engine freeze ups accure..

zooker
Old 12-14-05, 06:37 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

Excellant reply ZOOK. A very very good practice in cold weather like you stated to fire the motor for a split second after trailering the boat when temps are near freezing. I have had to repair some folks lowers because they didnt practice this measure. They winterized but didnt dry fire the motor and the trip home is usually when the lower froze cause of the air flow over the lower. I might add that every year it is a VERY VERY good practice to put in a new impellar. $25 or less depending on motor size to keep your motor happy and running with good water pressure. Even the spit second of dry firing the motor does cause minute wear on the impellar. By the way how's the yammy doing after the seafoam, and new plugs?? Drop me aline.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-05, 08:14 PM   #10
zooker

laser
it is a yammi.it hates the cold always has always will. you can bet on misses and skips first run. but after a while fishing you crank it and run to the second place. it runs well...

zooker
Old 12-16-05, 07:52 AM   #11
1FASTLASER

Havent really run any yammies as far as my own. As you remember I have a offer to get one from a buddy of mine to put on the lil ole laser when I get through doing the facelift. 16ftr. with a 150 hmmmmm outta run pretty well (evil grin inserted here with lots of grunting and evil laughter insuing) All I gotta say is watch out all you 19 and 20 boats with your big ole gas hogs. Even got a new coast gueard capacity rating plate on the way. Insurance companies and water patrol will never know what hit em. LOL...LOL...LOL You can bet one thing buddy if this yammy is cold blooded I will find the cure.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-05, 09:10 PM   #12
bassinDan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassinDan

....oh man! ...not winterizing? ....fishing year 'round? It's going down to 17 degrees F tonight! I CAN'T STAND THIS ANYMORE! Which way is Florida?
To all of you guys who can fish right through the winter without using an ice auger, best of luck and may you catch the biggest, nicest bass ever!!!
Old 12-17-05, 01:08 AM   #13
Rebbasser

Welcome to the forum, Dan!

Chris, winterizing a boat is done to help protect it through the cold winter months.

Laser, do you replace the impeller yourself? I would probably have to drop the lower unit on my merc to change it and don't know that I have the capability to do it myself.

To answer the original question I have not tried the Sta-bil but have been impressed with Sea Foam.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.