Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-05, 05:07 PM   #1
stoneman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to stoneman
Default Flurocarbon Lines

I'm pretty new to the world of bass fishing (2 years), and this year I have really started catching a lot of good fish. (for this area of Ohio) I have noticed that if I'm using a rod with a super line (Power Pro) I can really feel the strike, and have no problems with hooksets. If I use a flurocarbon, it feels spongy and also feels like it has some stretch to it. Any recommendations on what to do or use exclusively? Or is it more important to say "screw it" to the technical points, and just go with what's more comfortable for me. I've been catching most of my bass on crankbaits (Storm Sub Wart)
stoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 05:19 PM   #2
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy
Default Re: Flurocarbon Lines

The only way is to compare through usage...
Either your style of fishing will comply to the lines charactoristics, or perhaps down the line you'll find what ya need....what made you switch in the first place and what line did you start out with?
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 05:41 PM   #3
stoneman
BassFishin.Com Member

Actually I started with the Power Pro. But I have several rod and reels, so I put flurocarbon on a couple of them. I like the way it casts and the zero memory, but the Power Pro has it also. I just thought I'd do it to try the different lines out, and I also heard that you want different lines for different styles of fishing. But since I'm not going out on the Bassmaster's tour, I'm thinking of putting Power Pro on every rod I have (12).
Old 06-25-05, 06:01 PM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Welcome to the forum!

Some folks do use Powerpro on all rods-I mix and match-Powerpro for those baits where feel is important-worms, jigs, etc., Mono for moving baits like cranks and spinnerbaits, and floro for soft jerkbaits like Super Flukes and Tiki Sticks.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 06:10 PM   #5
stoneman
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the welcome and the comment. So here's the million dollar question: Do I keep the flurocarbon on the rods that have it, and just start learning the characteristics, or do I go with what "feels good?" Because I'm using Power Pro with crankbaits, and I love the fact I can feel the strikes really well. I think some of this might be that I'm catching a lot of Bass, and I'm getting used to what the strikes feel like. What's your take on all this?
Old 06-25-05, 06:22 PM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: Fluorocarbon Lines

I've always heard "if it ain't broke don't fix it" ;D. Â*Use what works for you-if you like the powerpro, use it. Â*If you want to run with the flouro for a while, do so. Â*That's one of those dilemma questions-the flouro has no visibility, but the Powerpro will pull them in no matter what. Â*I go through that myself. Â*My work around is I have several identical setups, one with braid, one with flouro or mono depending. Â*The problem is using the wrong one. Â*Last February I was using mono in pretty heavy hydrilla, and had just said to myself I needed to change to the Powerpro rod which was on the deck beside me. Â*You guessed it. Â*If she wasn't double digits she was awful close. Â*She hit a baby bass/pearl swirl Bamboo Stick, came up and rolled on the surface so I got a good look at her, then dove into the hydrilla as the line went "snap". Â*I had bad dreams about that one for a while ;D. Learned my lesson, though. Now if I will only heed the lesson learned ...
Old 06-25-05, 06:25 PM   #7
stoneman
BassFishin.Com Member

That would stick in my mind for awhile also. I will probably keep the setups the way I have them. I will also get with you about your opinions on different lures. The Storm Sub Wart is working really well, and as far as crankbaits go, I heard the Speed Trap from Luhr Jensen was good also, have you tried either of those?
Old 06-25-05, 06:41 PM   #8
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Haven't used a sub wart in a while, but have heard good things about the speed trap-it is supposed to run right even when burning it back.
Old 06-25-05, 06:44 PM   #9
stoneman
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks, I guess I'll have to run to Cincinnati to Bass Pro to get those. (Speed Traps) I can't get them here. I may IM you from time to time to get info on some stuff. Like I said.....I'm still pretty new to Bass Fishing, and want to learn all I can about it. Any help from anyone and everyone will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Old 06-25-05, 06:52 PM   #10
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Well, you came to the right place-there are some knowlegable bass fishermen here-I've been at it a long time and still have a lot to learn, and these guys are always teaching me something.
Old 06-25-05, 06:57 PM   #11
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

spinnRbait,
what part of ohio you live in?
Old 06-25-05, 10:03 PM   #12
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fastcat

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=news;num=1119730053;start=0#9 date=06/25/05 at 17:52:40]Well, you came to the right place-there are some knowlegable bass fishermen here-I've been at it a long time and still have a lot to learn, and these guys are always teaching me something.[/quote]
Same here
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 10:16 PM   #13
stoneman
BassFishin.Com Member

This is back to JB. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Had to go get groceries. I live about 10 miles north of Dayton, Ohio. Are you familiar with this area?
Old 06-25-05, 10:24 PM   #14
coolman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to coolman

I am a little what town!!!
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 10:34 PM   #15
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Yup..i live in Eaton...are you in Vandalia?
Old 06-25-05, 10:36 PM   #16
stoneman
BassFishin.Com Member

Englewood.
Old 06-25-05, 10:38 PM   #17
stoneman
BassFishin.Com Member

If you are in Eaton, I'm going to assume you fish Acton Lake quite a bit.
Old 06-25-05, 10:45 PM   #18
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Yup on Hueston woods , I grew up on that lake, if you ever go there cut across the lake from the ramp and fish the cabins down to the lodge, to the dam and back
Old 06-25-05, 10:49 PM   #19
stoneman
BassFishin.Com Member

Was there about a month ago. I'm not real familiar with how to fish that lake. I'll have to get with you the next time I go and have you tell me how to fish it, and where. I fished the points over by where the boats and beach are the last time I was there. Saw lots of snakes, just not many bass. I know it's a good lake with a lot of bass in it. Did you get any of the storms that came through a little bit ago? Nothing but thunder here. It needs to cool down.
Old 06-25-05, 10:51 PM   #20
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Yup that side sucks lol..and we had a tiny shower but lots of thunder..
I bet you haven't lived in englewood long enough to remember this , but I used to have a Fireplace Shoppe
almost on the corner of rt. 40 and 48..
I did all the bricklaying and stonework for years there till I got fed up with my alcholic partner.. this was during the mid to late 70s
Old 06-26-05, 08:18 AM   #21
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

spinner

i have used floro and imo none of it is worth a tinker's dam.like you said it tends to be spongy feeling and it WILL break on hook set alot. the main reason i refuse to use it now. if you are happy power pro by all means us it...

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-05, 02:42 PM   #22
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Floro line is good for some presentations, but bad for others.I like flourocarbon on suspending jerkbaits, the line sinks so it allows the bait to fish a bit deeper than other lines. I hate it on senkos, it sinks so it snags on the weeds allowing the fish to feel resistance before you can set the hook.Be careful when you are rigging up, the line weakens from friction caused when tying a knot.I tie it under a running faucet, or submerge it in the lake as I tie the knot and sinch the knot down.It sounds extreme, but I have zero tolerence for equipment failure, hope this helps you, P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-05, 05:36 PM   #23
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

If the water is stained then you probably won't need flourocarbon. Granted, it won't stretch like mono and yes it's invisible. In the event that the water is clear, you may need to use it especially with worms and jigs. I use flouro. due to the fact that it has very little stretch and sinks. Most of the water that I fish is somewhat stained.
No it doesn't break on the sudden impact. I use typical palimar knots. Stren flourocarbon is what I prefer.
The choice is your's in the event that you go to flouro.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-05, 08:52 PM   #24
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

and bassnman how many fish have you lost by have the line break ??

enough said...

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-05, 09:29 PM   #25
basshunter205
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to basshunter205

Most of the time, I'm throwing something with Trilene XT on it, because of its abrasion resistance and castability. I had some Power Pro, but i honestly thought it handled terribly. in frustration the other, mainly because i wasnt getting bites and i got a serious backlash, i ripped the stuff off and respooled in the boat with 12 lb PLine CoPolymer, which didnt handle any better. Flourcocarbon is good and all, but you can't use it forleader material ona C-Rig because it sinks.It doesnt handle all that great either. It's all waht you prefer.

basshunter205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.