Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-05, 02:30 PM   #1
winddancer
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to winddancer
Default question on reel maintenance

how do you guys maintain your reels? what should be kept clean and lubricated? what is this rocket fuel stuff - sounds like a real fast deal?
winddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 03:21 PM   #2
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman
Default Re: question on reel maintenance

VT,

Go to http://www.heartlandtackleservice.com and that should answer all your questions, as well as a source for Rocket Fuel.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 03:38 PM   #3
winddancer
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to winddancer

thanks for the rocket fuel source - sounds good. still, I am wondering what kind of basic maintainance you guys give your reels?
winddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 03:38 PM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=JackL link=board=news;num=1110562252;start=0#1 date=03/11/05 at 13:21:03]VT,

Go to http://www.heartlandtackleservice.com and that should answer all your questions, as well as a source for Rocket Fuel.

JackL[/quote]

Watch out for this guy, he's forgotten more than I'll ever know, and he likes to let you know he knows it Just kidding of course, JackL is one of the good guys, even though he plays the Mean Cop Sometimes : I can't add to his post other than there is usually a local place nearby most folks that can also do it for ya, for a fee of course.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 03:51 PM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

VT, I usually break my reels down once a year and clean them, and every couple of months put a drop of Quantum's Hot Sauce on the bearings-the hot sauce is like the Rocket Fuel. If I get a new reel the first thing I do is take out the bearings that go on the spool, clean then in lighter fluid and then put hot sauce on them. I also change my line every six months or so and use Reel Magic on the line.

Regarding changing the line-with bass you won't get spooled like you might with a saltwater fish, so I take off about 2 casts worth of line and fill the spool with fresh line. I tie the new line to the old and when I can feel the knot it is usually time to respool.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 05:24 PM   #6
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Cant tell you about rocket fuel, I prefer HOT SAUCE. I break my reels down to the major working areas only. The hot sauce seems to penetrate very well into the places I dont get my hands on. I usually do this 2-3 times a year unless they were subjected to a lot of sand or went for a swim. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 10:59 PM   #7
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Big_Drew

I clean my reals once a year and when needed...some get used a lot more than others. Â*I break them completely down and wash everything in colemans lantern(white gas) using an old toothbrush, then rinse everything in a small bucket with two or three drops of dish soap. Â*When re-assemling I use grease on the main drive gear and shaft. dry the drag washers and just the slightest bit of grease on them. I also grease the pinion gear. Â*Everything else get's a little oil. Â*Word to the wise though...more is not better. Â*If your not real familiar with reels...don't take them all the way down like I do. Â*Take them to a shop and pay the eight or so bucks.
Big_Drew is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.