Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-05, 08:19 PM   #1
winddancer
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to winddancer
Default color vs. water clarity

this may be a rudimentary question, (and also subject to personal preference) but in general, what types of colors do you guys use in different water clarity?
winddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 08:25 PM   #2
bassmaster111
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster111
Default Re: color vs. water clarity

i use natural colors in clear water and lighter colors in darker water
bassmaster111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 08:36 PM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Same as Bassin4ever-natural colors in clear water, brighter colors in muddy water depending on the sun. If it is shining, I go with the brighter colors but if it is cloudy I stick with the darker colors.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 08:52 PM   #4
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Matters what kind of bait I'm using. In clear water with soft plastics, I'll always go with light and natural colored baits, your baby bass, chartreuse, and white colors. In dark water with soft plastics, I go with dark colors, red shad, junebug, black, and watermelonseed.
With spinnerbaits, in muddy water on sunny days, go with light colors, white and chartreuse. On cloudy days in muddy water, its dark colors, especially black. In clear water, I go with light colors always. And in stained, but clear water, I go with inbetween colors.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 09:08 PM   #5
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

In clear water, I generally use a translucent color when it's sunny, and a black or other solid dark color is colored water or clear water when it's a darker day. That refers to soft plastics, but the reverse of what I described catches fish too, so I really don't know how much difference it actually makes.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 09:26 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

I use black and greenpumpkin in every kind of water I do like darker baits for night fishing, and lighter baits for sight fishing I'm a poet during the day ;D The clearer the water , the more natural colors I try to fish. In stained water, I use anything that gives off a lot of vibrations, because it's the first thing to get a Bass's attention, when the visiblity is poor. So zipper worms, big curly tail plastics, LIZARDS, etc... for plastics. I might even add a rattle, but I'll usually just throw a PNJ then. NOISE/VIBRATIONS in murky/stained water is much better, and the opposite in clear water.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 09:42 PM   #7
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl

natural colors in clear,bright colors for stained and dark for murky.

flippin4it
gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 09:45 PM   #8
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

VT,

I use the old rule of thumb, "the darker the sky the darker the lure, the darker the water the brighter the lure."

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 11:30 PM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i use dark colors for dark water and bright/natural for clear water. i will use green pumkin for both. along with a few other colors.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-05, 01:54 AM   #10
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Daryl link=board=news;num=1110669591;start=0#9 date=03/12/05 at 21:45:15]ah hates the zipers they a look like they come outs of a meat slicer i likes the sparkly ones in the mudy water an lak basfisher02 ah likes orange punkin with the blak spots on it

daryl[/quote]

And what does your other brothers use ??? You know Daryl and Daryl :

Lizards
Old 03-13-05, 09:20 PM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Daryl link=board=news;num=1110669591;start=0#11 date=03/13/05 at 15:51:30]i dont get it mr lizards you makin funna my name ?[/quote]

I take it you haven't seen the TV show("The Bob Newhart Show" I think). Â*Yes it was just a Joke, no offence intended. Â*Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.

Lizards
Old 03-14-05, 12:07 PM   #12
zooker___________.
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zooker___________.

I like WHITE tubes, spinnerbaits, and jerkbaits as soon as the topwater starts hitting. Water here in GA just broke 51 degrees and rising, five more degrees and Ill start throwing WHITE buzzbait the first hour every mourning.
zooker___________. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 12:27 PM   #13
zooker___________.
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zooker___________.

ok ok ... i forgot something, maybe a little RED right now. I just read bassboss article on Prespawn. the crawfish are molting right now, cant go wrong with a RED crankbait. lol
zooker___________. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-05, 01:31 AM   #14
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Big_Drew

Baits in clear water i ussually go with more natural colors to mimick the forage in that body of water and depending on the light conditions. I also generally use more translucent colors such as watermellon. Colors that actually make it more difficult for the bass to see. the more stained the water is the more color i use. In water with 2' or less visibility I go with black, red, yellow, orange, chartreuse. never anything a solid single color, but always a combination of at least two of these colors with brown or blue or green in the mix. Bass see color in the water better than people do in our environment, Espeacially in lower light conditions. And there is a particular order in which colors they see better than others.
Big_Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-05, 08:01 AM   #15
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=basstech link=board=news;num=1110669591;start=0#15 date=03/15/05 at 23:31:15]Baits in clear water i ussually go with more natural colors to mimick the forage in that body of water and depending on the light conditions. I also generally use more translucent colors such as watermellon. Colors that actually make it more difficult for the bass to see. the more stained the water is the more color i use. In water with 2' or less visibility I go with black, red, yellow, orange, chartreuse. never anything a solid single color, but always a combination of at least two of these colors with brown or blue or green in the mix. Bass see color in the water better than people do in our environment, Espeacially in lower light conditions. And there is a particular order in which colors they see better than others.[/quote]

Have you been using the "color c lector"

Lizards
Old 03-18-05, 11:24 AM   #16
windingriver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to windingriver

I always use natural colors even in dark or murkey water, if it is off color I will just use a little bigger bait, in black,blue, or purple or a combo of those, also a little sparkle will help sometimes. ;D
windingriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.