Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-05, 10:48 PM   #1
bigman15
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigman15
Default How often?

I just respooled all my reels about a month ago before my first tourney. I got another one coming up in a week, and I have only been fishing once since the tourney. Should I respool everything?
bigman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 10:51 PM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: How often?

I wouldn't, i would just check the line thoroughly, and possibly cut off the last ten feet if it has a lot of casts on it. Your line didn't go bad sitting.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 10:54 PM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

To add to what Lizards said, spray the line with Reel Magic and you should be good to go. Â*
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 10:57 PM   #4
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

retie everything
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 11:30 PM   #5
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Big_Drew

What really damages line is sunlight and dust. If they been sitting in the sunlight or in a dusty area you might consider changing it. Otherwise it should be as good as when you put it on. Somelines btw. tend to soak up water, like the original silver thread as an example. If was used a lot in the day or two of fishing i would strip off the first 30 ft. Not just ten.
Big_Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 01:27 AM   #6
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

Ok, crazy question. How does dust hurt line? I could possibly see dirt doing harm.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 01:39 AM   #7
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't know how or why it does. I've been told that by manufacturer reps and from my experience I believe it. Ya don't have to take my word for it though.
Old 03-05-05, 01:50 AM   #8
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

Ok, let me ask another question. Since I don't fish from about late October until early April should I not display my rods and reels on a wall mount or floor rack for fear of dust? Not trying to be smart just asking.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 02:25 AM   #9
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

I do (display my rods and reels), but i don't really stop fishing unless the lakes are ice covered. And in the years they are...well bob, The more i think about I hate wasteing line so at the end of a season I won't re-spool unless I absolutely have to, And I ussually re-spool every thing but my spinning gear at the beggining of every season (I use primarily spinning gear in winter months). If you smoke I would cover the reals just as a precaution if re-spooling at the beggining of the season is objectionable to you.
Old 03-05-05, 02:34 AM   #10
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Dust is abrasive. Just like sandpaper. In theory it can damage your line. How much does it actually hurt it? Not much I would think. Strip off a layer or two, and you won't have to worry about it.

On the other hand. Line is cheap. Change it when in doubt.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 04:00 AM   #11
bassmania25
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmania25

I log what i used for every tournament, and pre-fish if i am constantly using a particular rod I will re-string before every tournament , But i always re- tie all of my lures before heading out on the water. It's time consuming at home but better that than wasting time on the water. .............. Scott R
bassmania25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 08:37 PM   #12
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

I'm with bassin_socal on this. Re-spool the ones with alot of use before each tourney, the others every 2 tourneys. Fresh knots all around to start each day. Re-tie every 30 minutes during the tourney
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 09:06 PM   #13
bassguy2004

Like CajunBass said, line is cheap. I respool for every tourney. It doesn't take that long and besides you're sure to have every reel filled properly and have fresh line.
Old 03-05-05, 10:06 PM   #14
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Regarding re-spooling I started doing this a couple of years ago and it saves both money and line. Â*When I get ready to respool rather than taking all the line off a reel I take off about 2 1/2-3 casts worth, tie on the fresh line and fill up the spool. Â*If I don't respool sooner when I start to feel the knot it is usually time to respool, take off the line down to the knot and respool with fresh line. That way the line on the filler spool goes further and I don't have to buy more line that often.
Old 03-05-05, 10:43 PM   #15
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bassguy2004 link=board=MessBoards;num=1109987338;start=0#12 date=03/05/05 at 19:06:50]Like CajunBass said, line is cheap. I respool for every tourney. It doesn't take that long and besides you're sure to have every reel filled properly and have fresh line.[/quote]

Dang I know the line I use isn't Cheap, or even inexspensive for that matter(Fireline, Powerpro) Look I don't fish tourneys, but I've definately put in some time on the water with different lines. I must say these are my choice of lines because of where(heavy cover) and how I fish(lots of weightless plastics). I know my line well, and I know when it needs changing. However with these brands I use don't need to replace the line everytime. I do retie often, and cut off the last ten feet, when needed. I won't say don't respool if that makes you feel warm and fuzzy. But on the other hand you can run into what Tak did, and put on a bad bunch of line(braid even) and find out on the first fish you hook into, and then a second one. I'll admit dust is abrasive, but not that much, especially when it's only hitting the top layer of the spool, and what's on the rod length. Now again, you guys are the tourney folks, I'm just a weekend warrior. But I would not respool all of my line. I haven't had a line break on me in a year(this doesn't include mono), except once, and I knew it was gonna break, since I just wanted to see how bad it would get before braking. With the cost of the lines I use, and the quality, I really have no issues about not respooling. And when I do fish it's usualy for more than 8 hours straight, so I do wear out the lines all the time, but I don't believe it's neccesary to respool before every tourney if you use quality line, and do proper maintenance on it. Now I know Cajun only uses braid for tying his boat up, so he does probably use cheaper/less exspensive line than I do. But if it gives you more confidence, and you can AFFORD IT, then by all means respool. I respool all my reels in the winter, and keep all the spare spools(spinning) in a big zip-lock bag, till needed for use. Since I keep cutting off the last ten feet every so often, when the line get to half the spool, I switch it out with another one, FROM THE SAME BATCH I'VE BEEN USING. So I know it's not a bad batch of line. Not trying to stir the pot, just stating how I use my line, and my preferences. Hope all of you guys WIN your tourneys.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 11:14 PM   #16
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards-I think what most are referring to is mono. With braid I'm with you. I'm still using PowerPro I spooled up 3 years ago and it is still going strong.
Old 03-05-05, 11:44 PM   #17
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't use any of the braided lines, just mono and flourcarbon. I wouldn't think you would have to re-spool with braid but once every year or two...just guessing. I've only used braided once or twice for maybe two weeks, so I can't say anything about it.
Old 03-06-05, 06:27 AM   #18
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Oh. You wanted to know when to re-spool with braided line? That's easy.

Never.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 10:04 PM   #19
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Basstech,
I think that you and I have the same thoughts. Two weeks (maybe) with braid.

If your reels aren't out for others to see then just cover them up with a cloth.
Have done that for years. Not only does it keep dust off your line but it keeps dust off your reels.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 11:16 PM   #20
bassguy2004

Liz, sorry I didn't mention it. I only respool the mono.
Old 08-11-06, 04:43 PM   #21
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I was going through the "search bank" to find out more about how you guys re-string your reels. In doing so, I came across this thread from last year. It didn't really answer my question but I thought it was an interesting topic . . . How often to re-string and if braided lines need to be re-strung as much as mono?

Anyone have any thoughts on this topic?
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-06, 05:21 PM   #22
Bo Dale James Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I wonder how many times the respondents to the original posts have re-spooled since this took place. (Also not trying to be cute)
Old 08-11-06, 05:52 PM   #23
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well several of those posts are from me(Macgyver). This was from the old site(upgraded since then), and I don't know why the names came through like that. My opinion still stays the same. On Superlines, you only need to retie when the end of the line gets frayed nicked. Respooling Superlines every month is just plain overkill. Mono, well if you feel the need, or have used it quite a bit(been in the sun a lot) respool. I've seen quite a few times, guys respooled with bad line(unknowingly), only to have several breakoffs quickly.

Lizards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Dale James Jr.
I wonder how many times the respondents to the original posts have re-spooled since this took place. (Also not trying to be cute)
Old 08-11-06, 06:09 PM   #24
pig n jig

You only put new line on when your reel can cast every inch of line off on every cast. Then you know its time to throw some money down, or fish really close to the boat ? P N J ?
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-06, 06:14 PM   #25
Wishing2BFishing

I know I am getting off topic, but what methods do you use to respool? Use any special gadgets? Which way do you hold the spool of line (horizontally vs. vertically)? Do you usually tie on your favorite lure after doing so?
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.