Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-06, 01:09 PM   #1
InEccess
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess
Default First Bass Tournament

Hello guys, I'm about to fish in my first tournament on April 1st. I know several of you fella's are old hats at this sort of thing, so I'm wondering, what words of wisdom could you offer a fledgling bass angler? What do I need to stock my tackle box with? How many rods do I need? How do I catch fish to fill out my limit? How do I put a lunker in my livewell? It seems like as the inevitable tournament inches closer, I forget how to fish more and more.

Any of you folks fishing Eastern Ohio have any words of wisdom for me? I know our Bass season is still closed here in PA so our first couple of tournaments (I have between 11 and 14 this year) are going to be in Eastern Ohio. All I know right now is that the first one is going to be in Eastern Ohio, on an unlimited HP lake, and it's NOT Lake Erie (that's further down the tournament trail). The location will be unveiled at the meeting on the 14th, so I'll come back and check with you guys after the meeting.
Old 03-06-06, 02:00 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ya hitting mosquito lake?

anyways, you'll only need one rod, but 3-6 would be better. Expect the boater to hog most the good places, he gets first shot at them, if your the seater.
I'd stick with what ever methods you have tried in the past, the biggest mistake I see first timers use is some unknown method to them that they saw someone else use to catch fish..
I'd have a worm ready on one rod, a rattletrap or crankbait on another
def. a spinnerbait...and I'd stick to these three.
Try not to try behind you as the boat goes forward, if you get hung up that will piss the boater off to no end...try not to track mud on his boats carpet too..most of all soak up all you can during the experience...you'll love it...
If you going april first, I 'd learn to run a rattling rogue, if you don't have any jerkbaits, get one for that time of year, they usually hit rogues, ratLtraps, spinnerbaits, and any worm, jig,
tube etc..also bring a rainsuit, you can buy a cheapie at kmart.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 02:40 PM   #3
InEccess

I have several Rapala Husky Jerks (the suspended minnow), afew Shad Raps, a RatLtrap, afew different sized white spinnerbaits, a bag of Senko's, a bag of Tiki Stiks, a bag of Sweet Beavers, a bag of Bleeding Tubes, a bag of Kreatures, a bag of Culprit, acouple Booyah jigs in different sizes (Black/red and black/blue) with black pigs. I have a rainsuit provided by work, and enough glassbeads and weights to tie every rig I know (Carolina, texas, florida, wacky, and drop shot).

I wish my lake wouldn't have a frozen sheet of ice over it so I could go catch acouple to restore my confidence before the tournament season starts, but that's not going to happen. I haven't fished since August and I need to respool my reels. The tournament is almost a month away, and I'm already getting butterflies in my stomache. I want to have a good outting my first trip with my new club, but I know I don't have any experience fishing when the pressure's on. And I don't think I'm going to get a chance to fish from the front of the boat. I'm fishing against everyone in the club, including the person I'm riding along with.
Old 03-06-06, 02:56 PM   #4
JB

You'll be fine, I know about butterflies before a competition, you won't sleep hardly at all before the tournie, then afterwards the adreniline rush wears off and you'll be one tired pup...its all good!
Ya really need to prefish it, and the ice wont last long, my pond was clear friday and sat froze back over, one of my dogs fell through but got out ok. Take some snacks with ya and water / pop for the long day, also have 5 bucks ready for big bass and gas money for the boater, and don't get to nervous if you backlash or do something else, everone goes through it, just take it all in as a learning experience..and believe you me, you'll learn alot.
Old 03-06-06, 02:59 PM   #5
InEccess

I don't even know where I'm fishing yet. I won't know until the 14th what this year's schedule is. Apparently, the club is still getting approval to hold tournaments on different waters at different times. BTW, where would I go about getting lake maps for the different lakes in Ohio? At each individual lake, or is there a place I can pick them all up at once?
Old 03-06-06, 03:15 PM   #6
JB

try the state of ohio DNR lake maps from google, once found it will open a adobe PDF file, you can print off of that...I was supposed to go to northeast ohio for regionals in the federation, but pulled out cus of 30 degree rainy weather all weekend. I saw pics of the winners and they were all wet rats in the pics...lol
Old 03-06-06, 04:20 PM   #7
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

InEccess good luck in the tourny. What club did you join? One thing i heard to do if you are not the boater is to downsize you baits.

Bob
Old 03-06-06, 04:34 PM   #8
pretjah

i ahve my first tourney on the 1st here in New JErsey as well....not just my first of the year but like you my first bass tourney ever.

on a lake i've never fished...i'm hoping to get to the lake in 2 weeks to give it a shot before the tourney.
pretjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 05:45 PM   #9
rrw4258

i live in ohio, and fish in northwest ohio often, any lake tips needed just give me a hollar...

Ryan
Old 03-06-06, 06:17 PM   #10
lizardsrule

Spinnerbait, crankbait/jerkbait, t-rig, and c-rig, dropshot. You'll find that as JB mentioned the boater will get the first shot. If he's cruising the shoreline, I try to hit the spots he dopesn't hit when pitching. A c-rig is a great tool. Especially if he's cruising on fast moade with cranks or spinnerbaits, and not catching anything, drag the c-rig behind the boat. If he's catching them, then use what he's using. Most of the guys are great people. Just make sure you realize it's their boat, and treat it better than you would your own. I always give the boater $20 for gas etc.. Go with your best baits, they will catch bass in this water, just like any other water. Watch and learn from the guy in the front. But don't think he really knows his stuff, just because he has the boat. Many times they have the money/means to get a boat, don't don't know what to do with it. Relax, and just fish. Have fun is what it's all about. Prefishing isn't too important if your a back seater, because he gonna go where he wants anyways, so go with the flow.

Lizards
Old 03-06-06, 06:38 PM   #11
pretjah

yeah...luckily i'm fishing my small club tourney and will be in my own little tiny boat....

unforunatley thought i think i'm the only guy who's never fished this lake before in my club
Old 03-06-06, 06:49 PM   #12
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

There are times where being new to a body of water will give you an advantage. You have no preconceived ideas. You will be fresh and objective about your fishing. Good luck and have fun!! Remember, your not trying to make a living so there is no pressure.

HAVE FUN and learn something that you can teach us.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 06:52 PM   #13
pretjah

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet
Remember, your not trying to make a living so there is no pressure.
apparently you dont kow about the cost of living in new jersey!!!!!

B-)

just kididng...yeah i'm looking to have fun and learn...thats why i joined this club.
Old 03-06-06, 08:29 PM   #14
Rebbasser

InEccess, throw the baits you have confidence in. Talk to your boater and find out his plan of action and choose your baits accordingly, and I throw something different than your partner-gives you a better chance of finding what they want. Most importantly, HAVE FUN! You can learn quite a bit fishing with different people, but having fun is the most important thing.
Old 03-06-06, 08:38 PM   #15
JB

Its always nice to pick up tricks of the trade
from more experienced guys, each and every tournie ya learn something
Old 03-06-06, 10:51 PM   #16
bass kicker

i am starting tournaments this up coming season as well and i cant wait
Old 03-07-06, 12:53 AM   #17
InEccess

Thank you all for the advice, I'm sure I'll forget it all by the time I'm on the water. Then again, if I can keep from backlashing my baitcaster every cast that day, I'll consider it a good day. I'm going to just go and fish this first season like I'm fishing for fun (and not spending $300 to fish). I mean, I'm not even elligable to fish in the state Classic until my second year in a bass club... so I really have nothing to gain by winning this year anyways. Next year's my year though...
Old 03-07-06, 12:59 AM   #18
InEccess

And to answer your question, BassinBob, I went with Holiday Park Bass Busters. A charter of B.A.S.S. http://www.hpbb.net/index.html

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.