Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-05, 08:34 AM   #1
Bin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bin
Default help on fly rod

just got a fly rod at a yard sale not sure on line for the backing and leaders :-[
Bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 09:08 AM   #2
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181
Default Re: help on fly rod

For backing, anything literally will work.....Mason's nylon twine is good with a layer of duct tape will suffice....regular cotton cord works well....most anything there will do.

If you are bass fishing and throwing fairly large flies, 6 pound test line is good for leader material.....if after gills, a regular tippet from Wally World is good....same is good for trout. As for line, I like Berkley XL in either 6 or 4 lb test for my leaders.......I like using the loop to loop method of tying the leader to the line......

For the loop in the fly line, double the end and wrap with a good thread such as fly tying thread or rod wrapping thread...then coating a couple of times with fingernail polish. I like Sally Henson's Hard as Nails with Nylon.....good stuff. For the loop in the leader....double the end into a loop and hold together as you tie a double overhand knot.... Once you've tied the loop in the leader material, just use a simple girth hitch to attach it to the fly line.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 11:18 AM   #3
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

most of my fly rods have a barbed eye nail inserted into the fly line the having tippet or mono tied to it. my backing is braided dacron 30 pound test. i use several lines from weight forward to rocket both floating. for a beginner go with a level fly line till you get the hang of casting it.
inserting the barbed nail eye-i belive it is called a no knot eyelet- is a royal pain in the butt requiring 2 needle nose pliers. but once it is in your good to go. and if you think a big bass will pull it out you are very mistakin. i have caught 20 pound steele head with these eyelets.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 11:48 AM   #4
mikee051
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mikee051

zooker you say you have caught 20lb steelhead on those eyelets. thats amazing. i fish here in the nc mountains and ive used those eyelets since last year. and ive always been afraid these trout would yank one loose. glad to know they will hold up to anything i will catch around here.
mikee051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 02:08 PM   #5
Bin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bin

i use the eyelets on the flyline, and put mono on for the leader? maybe 8lbtest? and how long a leader?
Bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 05:54 PM   #6
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

6-8 depending on water clarity. real clear water 8- lake james in nc 12 feet- i would use no less than 10 pound test. fly rods were not designed to simply haul a fish to the boat. they are designed to play a fish. on a 6 wt rod even if it is bowed like a pretzel you are putting about 1/2 Â*of an once of pressure on the hook. i have 8wt,couple of 6wt,and a 3wt. used to fly fish for trout alot more than i do for bass now.

mb
makesure you use the higher rated ones the light line ones tend to open at the eye.i think mine are rated at 20 pounds .

zooker Â*

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.