Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-05, 01:47 AM   #1
buzzb8er
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to buzzb8er
Default Pond where the fish are fed

Went to a pond today and had very little luck. Previously the owner had said there were all kinds of fish in the pond including bass, catfish, bluegill, crappie, etc. My daughter, 2, was fishing for the first time with my wife helping her to catch bluegill, while I was trying to catch some bass. After very little success (one bluegill for my girl ;D), the owner came down. He said people catch alot of catfish, crappie, and bluegill, but very little bass, even though there are big ones in there, because he feeds them every other day.
The water is murky, only 7 feet deep, and small. I tried tiki sticks(weightless t-rigged and wacky), top waters, rooster tails, and assorted other soft plastics. There is very little cover in the water.
Any suggestions? ???
buzzb8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-05, 02:38 AM   #2
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass
Default Re: Pond where the fish are fed

I suggest you keep trying. You'll catch em.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-05, 11:07 AM   #3
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

i used to feed a pond and i always caught big *** bass, and everyone else did to
Old 06-18-05, 11:16 AM   #4
coolman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to coolman

Keep trying ive been fishing a pond for 2 1/2 weeks now with no luck but i know they're in there and even seen some Hawgs pulled out by someone else!! Hulas even caught some out of this pond! But keep trying cuz youll eventually get one!
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-05, 11:18 AM   #5
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Keep trying different lures, ways of presenting them, times of the day and conditions. You can catch them!
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-05, 08:27 PM   #6
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FishinMommy

Try a small squarebill crankbait in a blugill color. The fish might not be hungry but they may be caught on reaction strike.
FishinMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-05, 09:26 PM   #7
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I live just north of ya and it could be due to the weather change, it kinda effects the bass's bladder more than other fish feel it, or rather, some small fish come out of it sooner than the big ones, they are still biting tho, so just keep trying parellel to the bank and I am sure you'll
catch one soon!
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-05, 11:56 PM   #8
River_Runner
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to River_Runner

Worst come to worst, use live bait shinners, shad, minows. ;D
River_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-05, 12:13 AM   #9
buzzb8er
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for encouragement and tips.
Old 06-19-05, 08:59 AM   #10
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

Try fishing a weightless worm....cast it out and let it just set on bottom, for at least a full minute....watching your line at all times. Some bass are territorial and can't stand anything "parking" in their back yard with no intention of leaving.

Another tactic......a lightly weighted worm with a red glass bead placed between the sliding bullet type weight and the hook......cast, let set 20 seconds, then lift a little with a small and nervous shaking.....sometimes you can literally "rattle" their nerves and they will strike from this noisy agitation. Rattle for a short period of 10 to 15 seconds and let drop.....pause for 20, then rattle again.

The third thing to try, place a pearl white grub on an Extra Wide Gap hook so the point of the hook lays flat on top of the grub body.....then under the grub, pinch on a splitshot directly to the hookshaft, this is best done about halfway or a tad to the front of halfway the shaft length. When you retrieve the grub, the whole thing will have action as the tail will waggle the dog....the tail will ripple, the head will move side to side and the weight (splitshot) will swing nicely from side to side. If you don't get the weight to swing, try a little lighter weight.

The weight being placed under the grub will give the whole thing a nice horazontal fall...the grub will be flat out and the tail will bend upward on the fall and helicopter down on the fall. It will therefore, fall a little more slowly as it goes through the strike zone before you start your retrieve.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-05, 04:26 PM   #11
LANGER
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LANGER

i like the crankbait idea, since there is little cover to hold them you may have to get a crankbait that will get down to the bottom and let it bounce off of the bottom. but deffinatley don't overlook the jig and pig! since the water is murky use a dark color and i would use a porkfrog instead of a softplastic trailer, may not catch a lot of fish but they seem to catch quality bass and being a bigger bait it has a lot of water displacement making it easier for the fish to find, that would be what i would do anyways.

kj
LANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 10:19 PM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=brobrian link=board=news;num=1119070040;start=0#0 date=06/18/05 at 00:47:20]Went to a pond today and had very little luck. Previously the owner had said there were all kinds of fish in the pond including bass, catfish, bluegill, crappie, etc. My daughter, 2, was fishing for the first time with my wife helping her to catch bluegill, while I was trying to catch some bass. After very little success (one bluegill for my girl ;D), the owner came down. He said people catch alot of catfish, crappie, and bluegill, but very little bass, even though there are big ones in there, because he feeds them every other day.
The water is murky, only 7 feet deep, and small. I tried tiki sticks(weightless t-rigged and wacky), top waters, rooster tails, and assorted other soft plastics. There is very little cover in the water.
Any suggestions? ???[/quote]

What's he feed them? Also try a Lizard of course, weightless. Mac10 has a good idea also, as usual. The cranks would also probably be a decent choice as would a spinnerbait, or one of my newest favorites, c-rig especially a crankbait. Yeah I know not lots of help, but all of the above baits haved worked at diferent times, including topwater(which I would try at early morning or early evening, low light or dark for that matter Just gonna have to try to see what they like. If he's feeding them, fishing during the time he is feeding them works pretty good for some of the folks at the coal pit I fish. Mostly they catch catfish though ??? Oh yeah don't forget flukes too Always glad to help the baitmonkey out LOL.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-05, 12:03 AM   #13
buzzb8er
BassFishin.Com Member

Just regular fish food, very similar to dry dog food.

Quote:
Always glad to help the baitmonkey out LOL.
Trust me, he needs no help. ;D My daughter loves for me to get out the tacklebox and show her the shiny lures and plastic worms. She loves it so much, she wanted to get me some more lures. I am really trying to raise her right you know.

I really appreciate the help. I didn't try any crankbaits so that sounds like a great idea. Again thanks for all the tips and suggestions.
brobrian

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.