Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-04, 01:06 AM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Bad decisions result in poor hookups

Well as many of you know I don't consider myself much of a crankbait guy, but have been working pretty hard on them this year. I learned a lot, but still have a ways to go. Anyway as the heading states when you make poor decisions on the water, then usually hookups/hooksets usually is one of the first things that suffer. I went out this past weekend and decided to really hit the cranks hard. I threw shallows runners, Rat-L-Trap's, husky jerks. I caught fish on all of them ;D. However I also missed fish on all of them. The reason I believe I missed so many were due to some bad decisions on the water.
1. I was using a MH rod, with little flex
2. I was using Fireline, a NO-STRETCH line
3. I was trying to set the hook too much like a rigged Plastic

IMO all of the above had to due with my poor hooksets. I could be wrong, but would have to say that only 50%-60% hook up ratio is poor with a crankbait. That saying that I caught 10 and missed 8-10 on these cranks. The good news is I got them all to draw strikes, the bad news is a lot of missed opportunities to put fish in the boat. Now that you read what bad decisions I made, and how it cost me a lot of fish, maybe you will be more attentative to what you're doing to keep from loosing fish also. Such as always have your hook sharp. I have said it many times here, that my preferred setup for cranks is a Medium rod, with mono for it forgiving nature. I however failed to comply with this, thinking I was good enough to compensate for it. Well obviously I was wrong. :-[ So especially for you tourny guys, this could've definately made a huge difference in your placing and payout. I will still use the Fireline if working deep diving cranks, for the thinner line, but I will make sure I'm using my Medium rod

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.