Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-05, 02:32 AM   #1
MAHAT
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MAHAT
Default Question...

im a newb to opencast reels, and im not sure what ratio is...this one reel i picked up ran me 30 bucks, its a Shimano IX4000R and has a gear ratio of 4.2.1, my friend bought a shakespeare baitcasting reel for 40 and his was 3.1...i figured mine was better...can anyone explain to me waht gear ratio is? whats good and whats bad?
MAHAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-05, 02:43 AM   #2
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20
Default Re: Question...

Ok. Ratio is the amount of times the spool revolves per handle turn.

4.2:1 means that for every 1 complete turn of the handle, the spool revolves 4.2 times.
A 3.1:1 means 3.1 revolutions of the spool for every 1 complete turn of the handle.

As far as which is better, That is purely personal preferance, but generally, the slower the ratio, the more cranking power. A 3.1:1 ratio cranks harder, but is also slower on the retrieve than say a 5.1:1

Also, generally, the cost of a reel has less to do with ratio, and more to do with the amount of bearings it has.

I have ratios from 4.4:1 for my crankbaits, all the way to 6.3: for my spinnerbaits. yours will be a great all around ratio. Fast enough to work most baits, but with enough power to get the big one in.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-05, 07:47 AM   #3
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Alot of times the number of ball bearings in a reel makes the dif. in how smooth it feels and hence added cost
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-05, 12:46 PM   #4
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

But because some reels have different size spools two reels with the same gear ratio may still have different retrieve speeds because one has a larger spool.

When fishing a jerkbait choose a high speed reel to prevent wearing yourself out reeling in slack line in between jerks. But slow presentation lures such as jig require a slower speed reel.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.