Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-05, 09:04 AM   #1
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181
Default tinkering with grub rigging

I've been tinkering with grub rigging lately.....here's the best I've come up with so far....... I know this type of rigging is called a Bubby Rig and I've seen it used on tubes before, but not on grubs....

I start with a 3 or 4 inch grub and a 2/0 wide gap hook. I pinch a fair sized splitshot on the hookshank under the grub toward the rear. You may want to tinker with the size and placement of the weight. By placing the grub on the hook with a little downbend of the grub face, I'm getting a nice side to side movement of the grubhead as the tail works in the rear. Also getting a nice underbelly swinging of the weight itself from side to side as the grub snakes through the water. In short, getting a total action from the lure, as well as a flat fall on the drop.

It's not necessary to remove the sinker in order to texpose the hook, simply take the eye of the hook and run it through the grub's chin and out the nose area, then hook the point as usual.

I've been painting the sinkers with red nail polish to not only color the lead, but also to put a little on the hookshaft fore and aft to keep it from sliding; should it loosen.

As is also true with tubes, the weight on the bottom catches from time to time and releases, thus imparting a rocking action to the lure and shaking the tail as well.

Tried them out last week and in a half hour or so, caught 5 largemouth......will be trying on smallmouth soon. Was fishing near log rafts and brush...after an hour or so, only got hung twice. Around here, that's pretty good.

Good fishing, Mac

p.s. my order of Jack's Worms just arrived in the mail yesterday....was just thinking they'd be great on a bubby rig with the tapered tail flitting about when the weight caught on bottom and released.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 09:05 AM   #2
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: tinkering with grub rigging

I realize this overlaps an earlier post, but is more detailed and hopefully better.
Old 06-05-05, 12:46 PM   #3
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

thanks mac, I remember asking JB (I think it was JB) about how he was rigging grubs and having sucess. I've had limited, ok zero sucess with grubs, but part of that was not knowing and being confident in how I rig it. Sounds like your explanation gives off a good looking action. Just the way you described it made me want to take a chomp outta some minnows so it must work on the fish. Thanks again.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 04:14 PM   #4
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Rodman Rob, I would have tried to be more specific, but grubs vary a lot in body density and therefore flexibility. You may have to tinker with sizes, weights and other variables to get the maximum movement, but it can be done with a little patience. Good fishing, Mac

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.