Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-05, 09:01 PM   #1
Frank_Eagles
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Frank_Eagles
Default HELP ME

The other day I found my fenwick, which my dad bought me, with the tip snapped. I tried JB welding it, but that didn't work. My question is, Should I buy a tip repair kit through BPS, or is there a better way to do this? Thanks in advance
Frank_Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 09:12 PM   #2
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd
Default Re: HELP ME

About the best way is to just stick a new tip on the broken end. That's assuming it's broken pretty close to the tip. and inch or so maybe. You can get a new tip at Wally Worlld or BPS.

Anything more than that and at least IMHO, the rod is pretty well trashed. Rods CAN be repaired, but they're never "right" again. Even just losing say an inch of the tip will change the action, but you can live it.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 10:32 PM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

I don't know what the warranty is on Fenwick's, but if it's a decent one, you could possibly send it back to the manufacturer, and they will fix or replace it. ST Croix for example, you have to send them $10 for the repairs, and when I sent them mine that was snapped in half, they just sent me a new one. I also recall someone here using a sleeve to repair one somehow, but I can't remember who(getting old I guess). Worst case, you put a new tip on it, and use it for a stiffer rod, perhaps a PNJ or worming rod if it's not broken down too far. I wouldn't throw it away, unless it's broken down say a 1/4 or so.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 10:33 PM   #4
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

very true cajun. although i have a fenwick that lost a fight with a blasted ceiling fan. it was a mh 7 foot rod it busted 3 " above the second eye from the tip i put a new tip on it -had to find the right one- now i have a decent pitching stick. with good feel -it is a hmg- seeing it has fenwick's mid lenth handle i use it as a jerk rod as in jerk baits or pop-r's. although it does not get any where near the distance it once did, it still cast good.

i broke a hmx this summer battling a hy-brid i broke that one 18" from the tip. -talk about cussing-

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 11:04 PM   #5
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

Flbassman,

I think your best bet is buying a new tip for the rod. I just bought a rod wrapping kit from Cabela's for a rod I have that needs some guides replaced. In the rod building instruction book that came with it they say to use a hot gun glue stick to attach a new tip. They say to warm the glue stick with a lighter dip the rod tip in the hot glue and then attach the new tip. Like Zooker said it may not be the same anymore but I'm sure you can find another use for it. That's a pretty expensive rod to just throw away.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 06:58 PM   #6
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

hot glue ??? no i would not go that route he lives in fl and glue melts-epoxy it would be the better choice.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 07:20 PM   #7
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

ZOOKER,

Florida is not quite as hot as Hades, and hot glue does not melt down there either!!!

Don't worry about the hot glue melting. I have used hot glue for years to install tips on all the rods I build, and have never had one come off. If you have to replace it, all you have to do is hold a match under it for a few seconds, pull it off and replace it.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-05, 04:42 PM   #8
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Just broke a Ric Clunn rod in half (while trying to free a bait). Was thinking about going to BPS and buying a new one and then comming back in a few days later to say that it broke and give them the old one for a new replacement.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.