Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-05, 10:51 AM   #1
nphotofish
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nphotofish
Default Great site (first post)

Hello all. This is my first post here, but I have been reading for a few weeks. This is a great site and I have learned a lot. I’m new to bass fishing (I have never even caught one large enough to keep LOL). Last year was the first time in my life I have ever even tried to fish with a lure. This site has gotten me up too speed on a lot of stuff, but I have to say it is frustrating reading this stuff and not being able to try it out. I live in Michigan and it isn’t bass season yet. From what I understand, Michigan is one of the few states that you can’t fish for bass year round. Is this true?

As a newbie I have a few other questions as well. Be patient with me. I’ll keep it to 10 questions.

1. What is the difference between fishing in a boat and fishing from shore?
2. When using a pig-n-jig... do you use a whole pig? Live or dead? Seems like a live pig would have more “action”.
3. Do you really have to buy a fancy rod from a store or can you just tie some yarn to a broom stick?
4. What is the best lure to use to catch bass?
5. What is the best brand of dynamite to use if you are fishing for big bass?
6. Has anyone tried fishing with lizards? Do they work?
7. What is a “reel”?
8. Does anyone here enjoy bass fishing?
9. How do you tell the difference between a largemouth and a catfish?
10. How do you know if a poster on this board is frustrated at you for asking dumb questions? Will they tell you?

Thanks for any responses!
nphotofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-05, 11:14 AM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: Great site (first post)

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, it is true some states have a bass season-that would make me crazy if they had one in Texas!

I'll take a stab at your questions:

1. The biggest difference in fishing from the shore vs a boat is a boat allows you to fish in a lot more places where you are limited from the shore.

2. The "pig" part of a jig-n-pig refers to a pork ot plastic trailer. In the past all that was available were pork chunks that came in a bottle filled with brine. Now they make them out of plastic which are MUCH easier to use-they are modeled after the original pork chunks:

3. I'd stay away from a broomstick. I prefer the taper of a pool cue.

4. Best lure? There ain't no such animal. That's why you want to know how to use several different types.

5. I think any brand will work, but the fish and game folks kind of frown on using it.

6. Yes, I use lizards and they work. The local expert, Lizardsrule, is the guy to ask about that. They are versitile-you can fish them on top, on the bottom, and anywhere in between.

7. The reel is the thing that holds your yarn.

8. No.

9. A catfish is often bigger than a bass and is smooth-no scales, although they will hit the same baits. Makes for some interesting stories.

10. Depends on how you ask. If the questions are intelligent, like the ones you have asked you should be fine. Your sense of humor doesn't hurt either ;D
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-05, 11:48 AM   #3
TheBassMan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to TheBassMan

Welcome Nerm!!!.......Looks like you've been reading some other newbie's posts....lol.......Unfortunately, the question you asked are more logical then some of the other questions on the board....lol :.....

Anyway, enjoy your stay!!!

Catch em up
Brian
TheBassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-05, 04:48 PM   #4
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie

You must be new to fishing all together. Its ok..... we all were once. Welcome to the site Nerm!
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-05, 09:03 PM   #5
nphotofish
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nphotofish

Thanks for the replies guys.

I’m in my early 30s and I started fishing when I was 5. I rarely have fished in the past 10 years though. Up until last year I have ONLY fished by throwing a night crawler in the water and waiting for something to eat it. After a long time of from fishing I went out several times and was catching a lot of panfish, but, they were typically very small, so it got a little boring.

Last summer I bought the book fishing for dummies (No, I’m not kidding), because I was interested in bass fishing and I had no idea where to begin. I figured out a little about different lures and found out what those plastic worms were for. I used to think they were just cheap (reusable) alternatives to using night crawlers to catch panfish or catfish. Now that I know what a T rig is, it looks like I will be using them extensively in my fishing this year.

I almost had a big bass last year. The first time I ever tried a spinner ($1 white one from wallmart), I actually had a bass on right next to the boat. Well, long story short, I spent a few weeks learning how to tie a few knots that wouldn’t weaken the line after losing the fish. That was my only opportunity to get on a boat last year, and I didn’t catch any largemouths.

It is really hard to fish from shore around here and I won’t be getting a boat till next year. This year I have a boat rented for “opening day”. Basically it costs me about $200 each time I want to try for some bass. I may join a bass club next year, but I’m not sure if I know enough to do it at this point. I know a lot more this year, but it is all from reading on the net and watching espn. I’m looking forward to trying some of this stuff out. I’m even paying a fishing guide (what a job that would be) to take me out in June so I can learn first hand from someone with experience. It will be nice to cast with different types of rods/reels (still a zebco 404 for me at this point LOL) and get some tips on how to work different baits. I may have more specific questions for the board after that trip. For now I will probably just stick to reading.

I can’t wait to get one in the boat.
nphotofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-05, 09:03 PM   #6
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

Welcome Nerm.

Quote:
I live in Michigan and it isn’t bass season yet. From what I understand, Michigan is one of the few states that you can’t fish for bass year round. Is this true?
I feel your pain. I'm in NY, which is one of just five or six states that have a completely closed bass season. There are a few other states that have seasonal possession restrictions, but at least they let you fish for bass 12 months.

We open on the third Saturday in June, which I think is the latest opening date of the states with closed seasons.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-05, 09:40 PM   #7
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

Welcome to the Board!!!!

If you go to www.extremebasslures.com you will find a list of articles on each side of the home page....very good reading and worthwhile information.

Also,www.sliderfishing.com features a small book you can order on the subject of Slider Fishing for Crappie and Bass. I recommend you order the book and read it several times. It's an easy read, but loaded with intelligence. Good fishing, Mac
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-05, 10:36 PM   #8
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Hey Nerm, take a look here:

http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/beginner.html

This is a great resource for someone just getting started. It will probably answer a lot of your questions and generate whole lot more, so ask away!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-05, 11:16 PM   #9
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

marty
i would move out of N.Y.if for no other reason than just because of your bass season..
guess the sportman's federation in your state is pretty lax in their duties.in jersey the federation of sportsmen,bass federation and probably every bass club in jersey would make them change that PDQ.
somebody should bytcch about it.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-05, 08:13 PM   #10
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

[quote author=bassintom link=board=news;num=1116078703;start=0#8 date=05/14/05 at 22:16:34]marty
i would move out of N.Y.if for no other reason than just because of your bass season..
guess the sportman's federation in your state is pretty lax in their duties.in jersey the federation of sportsmen,bass federation and probably every bass club in jersey would make them change that PDQ.
somebody should bytcch about it.[/quote]

Tom, a change is being looked at which would allow a statewide early catch-and-release season. There's been no final decision, but if they go ahead with it, I think it would start in 2007. Moving is not an option, but the late opening of bass season is the thing I hate most about living here.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.