Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-05, 08:40 PM   #1

Default What Rod and line to use with a JIG

Hi to all, i always fish with light spinning gear(4lb - 8lb), but fishing a tournament last weekend foud that fish was really close to cover (trees). So i really wanted to use a jig but with my gear thats not a good idea. Well now i want to buy a line, casting rod and reel and learn to use a jig.
What do you guys thing is a good line, rod and reel to use with jigs (i have about 150 dls). Also any info about jigs is good.
Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad english (im from mexico)
Old 05-11-05, 08:46 PM   #2
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16
Default Re: What Rod and line to use with a JIG

the difficult words are spelled correct, but the easy words were not ? :P P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 09:12 PM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

There are a number of combos that will fit the bill in that price range. Shimano and Quantum are good brands, although I use Bass Pro Shops Extreme Reels. For jigs I use a 6-6 heavy action AllStar rod, but a medium heavy rod will work fine. I would stay with a 6-6 or longer rod. 6-6 is the best length overall for a bass rod IMO.

For line, one word: PowerPro. PowerPro is one of the "superlines" that are made out of spectra, which is extremely strong and durable. I use 50 lb because it has the same diameter as 12 lb mono. You can throw it into the heaviest cover without any worries. To give you and idea of how tough it is, a year ago February I pulled a 20 lb flathead cat through a flooded treetop when he hit a jig on the far side of the tree.

Another great feature of this line is it is extremely sensitive, much more than mono which comes in handy when fishing lures that rely on feel. Plus, it has almost no stretch, which makes for solid hooksets.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 08:26 AM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Join the forum it's free And you'll get a lot more responses. As Rebasser stated get rid of the light stuff, and get some Hawg gear. Bass will more than likely hang out in cover, so light line and rods are not the best choice for Bass fishing. Get yourself a combo to start out with, and then as you fall in love with bass fishing more and more, then you can get lots more neat toys ;D As for ideas on the Pig-N-Jig, well if you see something that looks like you would never cast into with your other gear, that's where you want to fish. The nastiest stuff you can find, brushpiles, weeds, anything that looks like you would lose whatever your throwing, thats where you want to put your Jig.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 03:17 PM   #5
big_mouth
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to big_mouth

[ftp][/ftp]http://www.strikeking.com/journal/journal016-4.shtml
big_mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 03:19 PM   #6
Kevin_T
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Kevin_T

Thanks for your answers....
Lizard... Just registered yesterday. ;D
Well first I already love bass fishing, have been bass fishing last 4 years, and I really love light gear. But now I want to try a bit of the Heavy arsenal... :
Kevin_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 04:01 PM   #7
daveraynor
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to daveraynor

A Curado reel and braided line or fluorocarbon. Power Pro for the braid and XPS for the fluoro.
daveraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 06:37 PM   #8
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

KalimanMX, Sorry I didn't take your post seriously. There isn't any reason why tou can't jig fish with a spinning outfit.I would recommend 14 lb test or heavier line and a MH or heavy action spinning rod.I hope this helps. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 08:28 PM   #9
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

KalimanMX, welcome to the forum-glad you joined us!

Light stuff is great in certain conditions, but as you develop as a fisherman you will want some heavy stuff. You don't need real expensive stuff, but get quality-you do get what you pay for.

You came to the right place for info-there are a bunch of hard core bass fisherman here, and I know from experience these guys-meincluded-won't steer you wrong.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.