Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-05, 09:37 PM   #1
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b
Default down sized jigs

for instance, the new bleeding bait jigs by strike king, what would work better a reg size or a down sized jig. also i want to now about the diff weights, would you use a heavier weight when the bite is slow for say a reaction strike, but what would the light weight be for???

ThanX
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 09:56 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: down sized jigs

Once again the answer is "depends". Â*There are times when a bigger bait will work and times when a smaller bait work.

The different weights depend on the conditions. Â*For example, in cold water a slower fall will help generate strikes by keeping the bait in the strike zone longer, meaning smaller, lighter jigs. Â*On the flip side, when fishing a heavy mat a heavier jig will work better. Â*One it is easier to punch it through, especially with a 1 or 1 1/2 oz. size, and two, when that big jig goes rocketing past the fish it might strike out of sheer reflex.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 10:26 PM   #3
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b

rebb, your smart!(and i mean that)
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 10:29 PM   #4
lil_bill_dance
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to lil_bill_dance

Down-Size Jigs are my go to bait......I fish 3/16 & 1/4 oz Strikeworks Jigs rigged with a NetBait PacaChunk...Use em on a BlueBird Day..Works every time... I fish em on a spinning rig using 8 lb test line....Also take lots of fish using a round ball jig head ( 1/8 oz) rigged with a Finesse Worm.... On the Coosa in Alabama we call it the " Shaky Head" Rig.....Try this it will produce more fish than you would think.. Thanks Lakeguide

www.alabamalakes.com
lil_bill_dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 10:36 PM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Thanks, MB, but it is more experience on the water and being obsessed with bass fishing than anything
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 10:53 PM   #6
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

LakeGuide

Do ya guide full time and if so whats your home lake?
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-05, 02:33 AM   #7
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

There isn't any reason to fish a light weight jig. The only reason they make them is because people will buy them.It has nothing to do with fishing at all,its all about sales profit of another product people think they have to have. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-05, 08:14 AM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=JB link=board=news;num=1116376654;start=0#5 date=05/17/05 at 21:53:59]LakeGuide

Do ya guide full time and if so whats your home lake?[/quote]

JB,

Yes he guides for a living, and sells tackle ;D Not that I would know he sells tackle :-X He has been very good to a lot of the board members, and his service is top notch. I haven't fished with him YET But am thinking about using his guide service next year or late this year. I give him a BIG THUMBS UP, go to his site, and check out some of the Netbait stuff, really is sweet. I'm gonna be using his Roscoe Reeder, and Frogs this weekend to give them a good workout. The frogs are just a soft plastic, so you put your own hook in them, same with the Roscoe Reeder.

http://www.Alabamalakes.com

PS: Don't tell everyone but if you join his site, and go to the members only section, you can get some good deals and a few freeibies, but make sure you keep this to yourself

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-05, 04:29 PM   #9
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9

A light jig with trailer will allow the slowest fall and is great for very shallow weed pockests.

This spring I tied a few 1/32 oz. flash jigs and added a small plastic frog to the back. The water temp had risen into the low 50's, but the crappie, yellow perch, bass and pickerel gobbled the combo up like it was their last meal.

Recently, I've gone up to a 1/16 oz. flash jig, used with or without a trailer, and worked deeper weedlines with incredible success. So far I haven't thrown a silicone or rubber skirted jig, which I would tie onto a 1/8-3/16 oz. weedless jighead. If the flash jig keeps on working, forget silicone or rubber skirts (except for spinnerbaits).

The light lure allows one to work it almost in place, from mid depth down to the plant bases and I get snagged less frequently going lighter.
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.