Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-05, 09:30 PM   #1
Scott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Scott
Default Summertime Bass

Where are bass usually located at in the dead heat of summer? What is the best time of day to catch them, adn on what? Colors? I am fishing a small farm pond with open water at one end and a rocky shore at the other. Thanks

rrw4258
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 09:36 PM   #2
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass
Default Re: Summertime Bass

often times in the middle of the summer you'll find them under cover and in deeper water or where ever the water is flowing.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 09:46 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

rob covered it, they will be in the shade, in the deep, and in current. the best times are early in the mourning, or in the evening. on topwaters. or just about any lure. this is not saying that they will not bite in the mid afternoon, they will, but they will be harder to catch, they will definitly be in the cover, or deep water.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 11:19 PM   #4
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

Night fishing might be worth a try. I would try a black jitterbug in a farm pond.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 08:34 AM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=lockjaw link=board=news;num=1115857808;start=0#3 date=05/11/05 at 22:19:08]Night fishing might be worth a try. I would try a black jitterbug in a farm pond.[/quote]

Man who knows what he's talking about Just load up with bug repelant, get some black lights, and floursecent line. Even if you don't catch anything, it's pretty cool seeing the line light up like a rope ;D Target shallow areas close to deep water, the bigguns come out to feed at night.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 03:02 PM   #6
big_mouth
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to big_mouth

It can't get that hot in Ohio...... ;D Early and late in the day is the best time in the summer heat. I think morning time is the best just beacause it seems like you have more time to catch compaired to the evening where the sun seems to fall out of the sky. My favorite topwater lure are Zara puppys. Walking the dog is a really good way to drive bass crazy. I would think to stay away from the rocks. Don't they hold heat but, I might be wrong on that one.
big_mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 05:21 PM   #7
daveraynor
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to daveraynor

I love c-riggin offshore structure and flippin docks but the color will be determined by the water and of course what the fish want.
daveraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 08:52 PM   #8
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

Even though there might be preferred times, don't rule anything out. I bank fish this one pond near home a lot and it's fairly common to catch my bigger bass in mid-summer in the afternoon under a bright sun.

There may be a difference in different parts of the country. Here the water hardly ever gets higher than the low 80s, which may cause bass to act different than in warmer climes where the water may get into the 90s. But that's just idle speculation on my part.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-05, 12:42 AM   #9
redneck13
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to redneck13

You can catch them early and late in relatively shallow water if there is grass for them to burrow up in.Topwaters and spinnerbaits catch them for me.
redneck13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.