Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-10, 03:28 AM   #1
mike234
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Better Spinning Reel

Want to purchase good spinning reel for my grandson. The one he uses twist line very badly. He does not reel while fish taking drag or when he is hung so know most of line twist is reels fault. Have ordered a Shimano Crucial 6'6" MH rod. Was thinking of a Shimano Stradic reel 2500 or 3000. Need your opinions of what reel to get to reduce line twist. Does not have to be a Shimano. Even young as he is he will bass fish all day and if he catches nothing does not matter, ready to go back the next day so I want him to have a great outfit to fish with.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 09:15 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I think you made a great choice in rods. The Crucials are great rods for the money, with an outstanding warranty.

I've used Pflueger, Shimano, Daiwa, and Abu spinning reels. My favorite so far has been the Daiwa Caldia that BPS clearanced this spring. I wouldn't hesitate buy a Tierra or Advantage spinning reel either. If you want to spend more, check out the Daiwa Sol spinning reels.

The Pflueger Supreme is not a bad reel, although I think Daiwa and Shimano have better line management systems. You can get the Supreme XTs on sale at BPS right now since they're bringing out a new Supreme XT soon.

I can't give a fair review of the Abu or Shimano since the Abus I'ved used have all been $30 or so reel. However, despite being as heavy as an outboard, the Soron reels should be nice.

Also, the only shimano I've used is an older model Sahara. I sold not to long after I bought it. However, I think the new Symetre, Saros, and Stradic reels are all good choices.

BB
Old 09-25-10, 09:16 AM   #3
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

The Shimano Stradic CI4 is nice.
Old 09-25-10, 09:19 AM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMoJo View Post
stradic ci4 is nice
I wasn't impressed with the CI4. I played with three of them at Cabela's and none of them were very smooth. In fact, the regular Stradic seemed much smoother, and like a much better reel overall to me, even thought he CI4 was so light.

(on a side note, 7000th post! )
<<<<<<<

BB

Last edited by BigBassin144; 09-25-10 at 09:38 AM.
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 09:34 AM   #5
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you want the Shimano just go with the bigger size like the 3000. That should really help with the line twist. But I also have a Daiwa TD-Pro Spinning reel and I havent had a wind knot yet in about 2 months.
Old 09-25-10, 10:55 AM   #6
Bassboss

I know a guy who uses nothing but shimanos. His favorite is the Sahara. Best band for buck he said! He likes his stradic a lot too, but Given a choice, he said he'd just get another sahara and a decent rod.
Old 09-25-10, 12:44 PM   #7
Bender

I don't think you can go too wrong with a Symetre or Stradic. I have a few other brands but more Symetres than anything else and have no problems with most of them. On one with rear drag I did have it get hard to reel once, but after lube it has been fine again.

I bought a Pflueger Supreme at the beginning of the year and with a full spool I had line issues with it winding on the outside of the spool. With less line now it doesn't do this but last week I did have a huge birdsnest that had to be cut out. To be fair the line is a super tough 8# fluoro that's not too limp. The reel wasn't a bad purchase at all but I would probably take a Symetre over it.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 03:46 PM   #8
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I don't think you can go too wrong with a Symetre or Stradic. I have a few other brands but more Symetres than anything else and have no problems with most of them. On one with rear drag I did have it get hard to reel once, but after lube it has been fine again.
I bought a Pflueger Supreme at the beginning of the year and with a full spool I had line issues with it winding on the outside of the spool. With less line now it doesn't do this but last week I did have a huge birdsnest that had to be cut out. To be fair the line is a super tough 8# fluoro that's not too limp. The reel wasn't a bad purchase at all but I would probably take a Symetre over it.
Agreed I have a front drag symetre 3000fj and its a great reel.

You really cant go wrong between a symetre or a stradic it will be a big difference for your grandson either way and he will catch alot more fish and not have to worry about nasty line twist as much.
thekevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 04:32 PM   #9
Rebbasser

Another vote for the Symetre. Great reel that won't break the bank.
Old 09-26-10, 02:22 AM   #10
islandbass

Another symetre vote. Anything more is nice to have but not necessary.
Old 09-26-10, 08:26 PM   #11
mike234

Thanks alot for the information. Just ordered him a Symetre 3000FJ. I think he will be well pleased.
Old 09-28-10, 04:44 AM   #12
islandbass

Not bad! I did a little checking and learned something that I found shocking. You might know that the 2500 sized shimano is the usual choice for bass anglers and so your decision on the 3000 sized piqued my curiosity. This is what I found out.

The 3000 holds only 30 more yards of line which isn't much more and for your intent, that extra line is a good thing.

Not only that, it possesses 4 more lbs of drag than the 2500. Cool! Not that the 2500's 11lbs of drag is bad. I also wonder if both reels are the same in size with the difference being the size of the spool.

Anyway, here is the kicker although the difference is practically neglible...

The 3000 weighs less than the 2500! Yup, that's right. According to Shimano, the 2500 Symetre weighs 10.1 oz and the 3000 weighs 9.9 oz.

If I buy another Symetre, I'm going with the 3000. It could probably serve me well in my salmon and steelhead fishing too.
Old 09-28-10, 02:44 PM   #13
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Not bad! I did a little checking and learned something that I found shocking. You might know that the 2500 sized shimano is the usual choice for bass anglers and so your decision on the 3000 sized piqued my curiosity. This is what I found out.

The 3000 holds only 30 more yards of line which isn't much more and for your intent, that extra line is a good thing.

Not only that, it possesses 4 more lbs of drag than the 2500. Cool! Not that the 2500's 11lbs of drag is bad. I also wonder if both reels are the same in size with the difference being the size of the spool.

Anyway, here is the kicker although the difference is practically neglible...

The 3000 weighs less than the 2500! Yup, that's right. According to Shimano, the 2500 Symetre weighs 10.1 oz and the 3000 weighs 9.9 oz.

If I buy another Symetre, I'm going with the 3000. It could probably serve me well in my salmon and steelhead fishing too.
Yea thats why I went with the 3000.
They really are pretty similar in size as well it might just be a bigger spool
like you said.Great reel so far havent had any problems with it.
thekevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 08:31 PM   #14
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Really?

With all due respect "playing at the counter" does not really tell you much. I was not sold on them as I like/loved the Stradic mags and was sure nothing could be better. I was lucky enough to get my hands on the C14's back in December and I am now hooked forever. Please see if you can find a way to fish one and I think you will be impressed. The problem is they are so light that unless they are mounted and rigged they move too much on the short rods at BB and when not mounted at all they move all over the place in your hand. Give it a fair test and let me know what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I wasn't impressed with the CI4. I played with three of them at Cabela's and none of them were very smooth. In fact, the regular Stradic seemed much smoother, and like a much better reel overall to me, even thought he CI4 was so light.

(on a side note, 7000th post! )
<<<<<<<

BB
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 05:20 PM   #15
gonefishin3

If you really want to make. A investment its the quantem energys... great spinning reels.
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 07:11 PM   #16
mike234

Do not know about the Quantum Energy's but it was a Quantum that was twisting his line so bad. But anyway he has his Symetre on his Crucial rod and it is one great outfit in fact I like to use it myself. I put Trilene 10# XL on it and so far it is working great. We have been out only 1 time but if first trip is any indication this is a great setup.
Old 10-06-10, 09:39 PM   #17
BigBurlyBass

The Symetre and Sahara are VERY GOOD quallaty, performace, durabillity, and for price! Can't go wrong with Shimanos! I also like Quantums VERY much! my only 2 brands right there for rods and reels!
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-10, 01:22 PM   #18
dave0943

I am big on Pflueger. I have a President and a President XT. Awesome reels for under a hundred. Even the Trion for around 50.00 is a great reel. I have a Trion for for guests and visiting family. Never have any problems. I also am partial to Abu Sorons. Any one of these are quality reels at a very decent price.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-10, 02:16 AM   #19
basshunter21

I love my Sahara, its a great reel and affordable.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-10, 11:32 AM   #20
IowaBasser

I know you are looking for a spinning reel to prevent line twist. However the reel may not be the problem. A common mistake is the way you put line on a spinning reel. On a bait-casting reel you should put a pencil or something through the spool of the new line and let the spool spin as you wind on the new line. On a spinning reel you should lay the new spool flat on the ground and let the line slip off the side of the new spool.

Here's a link to a short video showing how to correctly spool line on a spinning reel!
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-10, 03:14 PM   #21
tim4081

I can recommend the Sahara. I've had one for three years now and never had an ounce of trouble. It gets used a tremendous amount....between my son and I probably more than any other reel we have. Smooth drag, casts well, dependable, smooth retrieve....couldn't ask for anything more in a spinning reel.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.