Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-05, 10:20 PM   #1
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default got my new ss wheel

i finally received my new ss prop i went up 1 pitch size on my lil 50 horse. i can get out of the hole like a jack rabbit. just go down the lake like a tuttle about 35.9 gps i am hoping it will put me up to about 38-39 gps.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 04:18 PM   #2
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Re: got my new ss wheel

Is changing props generally a good way of improving performance, or do you give something up? I've got a tiller 25 horse mariner that moves my little boat pretty well, but I would always like a few extra mph.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 05:52 PM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Generally the props are set up to get a good HOLE SHOT(this is starting from 0 to however long it takes to get on plane, or for speed). They are at the opposite ends of the scale. If you buy a good Hole Shot prop, then you will loose a few MPH, and if you have a good top end it's gonna give you a slower Hole Shot. For example, I want a good Hole Shot for my Runabout because we ski and tube behind it, so getting up on plane quicker is more important than the extra couple of MPH. For my fishing boat, the Hole shot isn't near as important as the couple of extra MPH especially on long runs. Hope this makes sense. Or you can go middle of the road for an average on both.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 06:04 PM   #4
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i went middle of the road decent hole shot with a tad more git er don

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 05-06-05, 09:33 PM   #5
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

ran down to the lake with the new ss wheel am getting 4 mph more top end 150 rpm more was running 5305 now running 5455 rpm's i have less skiping and spiting out of the moter on the first run - a yammy trate-

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 05-08-05, 11:52 AM   #6
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

WTL

Â* Â* It depends a lot on what brand and pitch/rake of prop you install. My Ranger came with a 26 pitch 4 blade SS prop on a 200 hp Optimax. It had fair holeshot and gave me 10 mph per 1000 rpm's. I bought a used Predator (Discontinued) 25 pitch 4 blade SS and installed it while I was at Grand Lake last week. It seems to be giving me better hole shot and more mph per rpm's. Â*
Â* Â*Outward appearance makes me think the Predator has a little more rake and a little wider blades, plus a little more cup, even tho it is 1/4 inch smaller in diameter.
Â* Â* The Merc Trophy prop ran 30 mph @ 3000 rpm's and the Predator now runs 36 mph @ 3000 rpm's, so it appears that I have picked up 2 mph per 1000 rpm's. The predator seems to be quite a bit snappier in the mid range. I was not able to open it up, as the lake was getting rough and there were a lot of cabin cruisers making giant wakes on the lake.
Â* Â* If the 30 mph speed increase is any indication, I should pick up 8 to 10 mph on top end.
Â* Â* I have ran Predator props before on prior boats and was impressed with the performance. It is just too bad they went out of business.
Â* Â* This only shows that you should try several props before you plunk down $600 for a new SS that may or may not work. If you have friends that have different brand and pitch of props that will fit your motor, ask to try them out. If not, go to a large marina and try several used props that they usually have on thier sale rack that have been traded in. Possibly you may find a prop that will give you better performance at a used price. While shopping, just remember that a 3 blade prop will give you a couple more mph than a 4 blade, and a 4 blade will give you better hole shot. A SS prop will give you better hole shot AND more speed than an aluminum prop, but cost 3 or 4 times a much Sometimes you can gain a little performance by merely having your present prop cupped by a prop repair firm for $35 to $50.
Â* Â* Just remember "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

JackL

(Damn, I'm starting to jabber like "Motor mouth" LIZARDS!!!)
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 12:24 PM   #7
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

wtl the ss wheel is one of the cheaper impovements you can do to add speed to your boat hydrofoils also are a great investment. if you are really in to speed new reeds -which require moter tear down- will help.reeds are like a intake manifold on a car.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.