Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-05, 11:37 PM   #1
fishinmusician
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishinmusician
Default Scuffed mono! Need  abrasion resistant line a

I have been using mono for years and thought I would never have to switch to another type of line. My problem is line abrasion, every time my line gets just a little scuffed it makes a horrendous grinding noise when the scuffed line starts to move in on the guides when I'm using heavier baits such as spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, plugs, etc....... I will continue to use mono for my soft plastics. My question to all of you is what kind of line do you all recommend for the heavier baits I mentioned above? I use only baitcasters on 6'6" - 7' m/h rods.
fishinmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 11:47 PM   #2
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default Re: Scuffed mono! Need Â*abrasion resistant line a

Its not the fact that its mono, its the specific kind of mono you're using. What brand do you use? I would go with cajun red, ridiculously abroasion resistant, strong, cheap, low memory, and low stretch.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 12:01 AM   #3
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

you better check the guides on your rod.use a q-tip to look for nicks.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 12:24 AM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I'm with Tom on this one-sounds like you might have a problem with your line guides. The line really shouldn't be making that kind of noise, and if it is getting really scraped up you might think about braid-I've been using PowerPro for worms and jigs for a couple of years now and absolutely love it.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 12:45 AM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: Scuffed mono! Need  abrasion resistant li

If you switch to a Superline, which in this instance I prefer mono for cranks, spinnerbaits and topwater. You better be prepared to adjust your hooksetting. I used some on cranks, and litterally kept yanking them out of the fish mouth, because of the no stretch. I do think the brand makes a difference, and of course I think that bassintom and Rebasser are also correct. If you have an abrasion on the line, I would definately cut it out reguardless if it makes a noise or not. To me that's one of the worst issues with mono. You really have a tough time seeing the abrasion, you need to feel for it, so you might not know it's there. With the superlines it's very visible if it getting bad.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 01:30 AM   #6
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=MessBoards;num=1110163060;start=0#3 date=03/06/05 at 22:24:24]I'm with Tom on this one-sounds like you might have a problem with your line guides. Â*The line really shouldn't be making that kind of noise, and if it is getting really scraped up you might think about braid-I've been using PowerPro for worms and jigs for a couple of years now and absolutely love it.[/quote]

I agree. With both statements.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 05:21 AM   #7
fishinmusician
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishinmusician

[quote author=HulaPopr link=board=MessBoards;num=1110163060;start=0#1 date=03/06/05 at 21:47:46]Its not the fact that its mono, its the specific kind of mono you're using. Â*What brand do you use? Â*I would go with cajun red, ridiculously abroasion resistant, strong, cheap, low memory, and low stretch. Â*[/quote]
14 pound Spiderwire
fishinmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 09:26 PM   #8
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Spiderwire braid? Â*If so, the noise you hear is normal-mono is real quiet, but braid puts out a lot of noise. It just goes with the territory.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.