Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-05, 04:35 PM   #1
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36
Default Gill nets

What are ya'lls take on these? I for one am against them. But if they are going to keep allowing them, they need to be more regulated and more strictly enforced.
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 05:14 PM   #2
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Re: Gill nets

Well, I'm so very proud that it has been my state that has made gill nets the issue du jour in bass fishing discussions lately. You see, G'ville has been getting raped by gill nets for a very long time, most of the nets unmarked and hence illegal, yet nothing has been done about it. Why? Because nobody knows where the gamewardens are in this state. Seriously, I've never seen one and scarcely believe they exist. I've heard the number of wardens is in the single digits statewide. So effectivly we have nobody enforcing any conservation regulations in the state of alabama.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 07:25 PM   #3
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

WTL,
The lack of enforcement runs two ways. Bass fishermen are able to cut the gill nets and let them sink to the bottom with little chance of getting caught.
That is what we do in this part of the country when we find trot lines in our lakes. We run the lines and take off any live fish, then cut the lines and let them sink.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 07:51 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

wats a gill net ???
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 08:03 PM   #5
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishy2002

A dreadful thing. It's a large net that has mesh just large enough to let a fish swim into it and get partialy through but not all the way, so when the fish tries to back out of it it is snared by the gills. It is non descriminate so it kills anything too large to swim through it. They were banned in Fl. In the 90's in all inshore and fresh waters by pressure from petitions from sport fisherman and coservationists, largely in part by the efforts of Florida Sportsman magazine. I think they should be banned in ALL inshore and freshwaters in America!
gonefishy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 09:17 PM   #6
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Jackl, many fishermen have cut and destroyed the nets...but there have been reports of drunk redneck netters pulling shotguns on fishermen they caught doing this.
Old 03-05-05, 09:32 PM   #7
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

WTL, I've read a fair amount of discussion on the Alabama gill nets situation, so I won't rehash that. What I would like to know is what are the target species of these nets? I've heard "rough fish", but I'm not sure exactly what that means in that context. Carp? Suckers? Sheepshead?
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 09:47 PM   #8
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

I know less about the netter's side of this, but I think the most valued is actually catfish, which I really don't consider to be a rough fish. I also think they are trying to catch stripes, maybe carp but I cant imagine who these commercial fishermen sell them to.
Old 03-05-05, 10:06 PM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Yes they should be banned IMO.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 09:39 PM   #10
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

[quote author=WTL link=board=MessBoards;num=1110051317;start=0#7 date=03/05/05 at 19:47:55]I know less about the netter's side of this, but I think the most valued is actually catfish, which I really don't consider to be a rough fish. [/quote]
I agree. Once or twice a year, I accidentally catch a channel cat, and from the way they fight, I'd consider them a sport fish in every sense of the word.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.