Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-05, 03:00 PM   #1
gonefishing
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishing
Default Trouble Fishing Topwater and Carolina Rig

I went fishing yesterday and tried using some new techniques. I was throwing a Super Spook Jr. in the morning and had about 5 hits. No matter what I did whenever I had a fish hit it, I couldnt bring him in. I tried to set the hook but pulled it out of his mouth. What am I doing wrong? Also I was fishing deep rocky points with the Carolina rig and had a few hits, but couldnt tell if I had a hit and kept getting hung up. How am I supposed to tell if I have a hit or my sinker is in the rocks? Also, how do I set the hook?
gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 03:07 PM   #2
NorthNJangler
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to NorthNJangler
Default Re: Trouble Fishing Topwater and Carolina Rig

It sounds like you didnt let the fish take the lure all the way. When fishing topwater you want to feel the weight of the fish before you set the hook.

With the carolina rig, I have always felt the fish tug. Using it and getting good with it and youll learn the difference between a fish and a rock
NorthNJangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 04:42 PM   #3
hershey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to hershey

When fishing topwater dont set the hook, wat I do is pull back on the rod once I know its hooked so it digs the trebles deeper. Make sure you have sharp hooks, also. I dont usaully fish c rigs, but when im fishing texas rigs when your line starts going sideways is a good indicator of a fish.
hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 05:18 PM   #4
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Sounds like yer almost there!
Just keep pluggin away at it, when you see a fish strike your top water and miss, let it sit,
I know how it is when you see the strike you want to yank immediately, but as others have posted, try to wait a second or two before you set the hook .
Sometimes the fish will just suck it in with no explosion,
if that happens to ya, you'll probably get her in..
Just keep on practising Carolina rig fishing < > I always sweep the rod tip back after I have reeled in the slack,
of course thats After I have felt the thump or see my line moving.
A problem most encounter is that you have way to much line out there that has drifter to one side, so If you think there is a strike, keep in mind to get your line tight, reel in any extra that may have kept the line from being tight to the lure, the set the hook hard!
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 08:05 PM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

The first thing I would do is check the hooks to make sure they are sharp. If they won't dig into your fingernail with just a little pressure they probably need to ge sharpened. I'd be willing to bet that is why you missed the fish on the topwater. You can get an EZLap hook sharpener at WalMart for about $5 and it is well worth the investment.

For Carolina rig sometimes you don't feel the hit, it just gets heavy. To get a good hookset with a C-rig don't do an upward jerk like you do with a Texas rig-sweep the rod to the side. That's why most Carolina rods are 6-6 or 7 feet heavy action rods.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 10:35 AM   #6
daveraynor
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to daveraynor

Don't set the hook on topwaters until you feel the weight of the fish. Watch your rod tip c-riggin, if your rod keeps loadin up you've probably got a fish runnin with it. When you set the hook make a sideways sweep hook set.
daveraynor is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.