Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-05, 10:12 PM   #1
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy
Default tikki'n around those pesky 'gills...

Tonight I got to try the tikki stick everyone probably already has tried, but I went out and rigged it wacky style.
Used a offset shank Gammy 3/0 and was throwing a brown colored tikki with red fleck.
Ok heres my gripes lol....
First of all the bluegills tortured me to death, they seem to like it too, and hit it just like my ol' buddy mr. largemouth,
I kept feeling the peck, thump, and then the line would move just like it was supposed to, and I'd rear back
and do one of my hook sets Â*from hell
only to realize it was ol gill nibbling on me..
I finally got many 15+ inch bass on the tikki, almost every one of them threw the plastic up the line, and while I was getting the hook out they flopped around on me and threw the tikki in the drink~ sound familiar..
So I go back to my method, this time I have learned to reel down and feel for some weight of the bass, instead of spazzin' out , and caught few more, its indeed a good bait..
I notice that you have to rehook the center for a tighter grip on the plastic or it comes off
I also noted to myself if I go into a tourney with this bait I'd better stock up, I went through many tonight Â*
either flipping them off with the cast, or loosing them during the fight...heck as long as they work , what the hey...
I am still amazed at how many bluegills tried to rape this bait, I got one gill with the hook in the side, I am guessing they take the tail or head n run with it
The bass sure like em tho..
My main purpose tonight was to give them something dif to look at, hooking it in the middle, I watched as I worked it, it doesn't do a damn thing , except look like a worm doing aerobics lol
I dead sticked it and thought, well this ain't no fun atall
Many let it cast out and sink, many of the bigger fish I did hook sucked it in and the line came at me, I then kinda swept the rod to make sure it was on, and then reared up to set the hook,....that technique bothers me, I am used to the quick hookset.
I kept thinking some clown keeps posting how not to set the hook but to keep reeling, I know for me that will bite me in the arse, I gota set the hook.
So over all rating of this bait...pretty impressive,, I dont know if its the texture, or smell or salt or all of the above that make it work,
My next step is to go back to texas rig it, no weight and then try weight, I kinda learned last year on the Sticko,
its about the same deal..
The bag of tikki's wasn't expensive at all , but damn they come off to easy whacky style, I need someone to sponser me so I can have endless supply lol 8)
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 10:15 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: tikki'n around those pesky 'gills...

Yep, then 'gills can drive you nuts, but they sure catch bass.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 10:23 PM   #3
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

I was used to the peck peck peck,
but the line moving out to deep water freaked me out~
I kept thinking this has to be a bass
Old 06-12-05, 10:26 PM   #4
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

It's really bad in ponds.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 10:31 PM   #5
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Man, we caught one bass tonight that was true to the name black bass,
Ya ever notice how white and light green fish are when they stay deep and only have just come up to skinny water to feed? well just the opposite, the ones that lay in the shade of the canopy get super dark green and almost black on top,
Denny hooked his usual 75 million bass tonight on the moss, and one nice bass's back was black as coal..
Old 06-12-05, 10:39 PM   #6
don_P
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to don_P

75 million lmao I about fell outta my chair laffing
God that was funny ;D
Denny
don_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 10:49 PM   #7
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Yer getting to damn good with that frog..
Old 06-12-05, 10:54 PM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

they are alot more durable when rigged weedless 8) IME they excell in ponds...i have reeled in 8lb fish with this...and my second biggest bass of my life.....9lbs came on one 8) im a firm beleiver of the tiki....and IME has outfished the senko...and is less expensive. its good that itworks for you..now try the tiki dipstik 8)
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 11:46 PM   #9
hershey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to hershey

Anyone heard of or fished tiki bamboo stiks? They are supposed to be tiki stiks but with a realy fat middle section but same daimeter tail and length of the original, giving it better action and a slower reate of fall. Im gonna try to order some, heres a the site that has them.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...AVE-WWTB5.html
hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 11:48 PM   #10
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i hear great things about them...and reb hooked me up with some on the way....so i will let you all know how i do with them....they seem like a good worm 8)
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 10:27 AM   #11
NorthNJangler
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to NorthNJangler

I like the tiki sticks because they are cheaper that Senkos and I have caught a lot of fish with them.

Maybe you try to use an O ring or tape in the mid section to make it last longer when rigged wacky
NorthNJangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 10:33 AM   #12
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Good idea, I like the price dif. too
A guy I fished with years ago was just telling me to superglue the plastic to the hook. for wacky riggin..
I know its the tikki isn't new to most of ya, but for me I am going through the learning curve..
Old 06-13-05, 12:59 PM   #13
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Guacomole, I think the Bamboo sticks work extremely well.They tear up the same as a regular bait, but they fish over the heavy weed cover better. Yesterday I caught a big Crappie on the Bamboo stick. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 06:41 PM   #14
don_P
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to don_P

Jb was having alot of fun with the tikki,but the worm robbers where out...the blue gill. But he landed some nice bass,the wierd thing was that Jb said the line was coming back towards the boat...but that didnt matter
he landed them. As for the frog..Im hooked..I love it. the secret..patients!!! wait a second and a half and set the hook toward the sky.keep your tip up!!!!!!!GOD I LOVE
FISHING , I went twice Sunday .You should have seen the look on my wifes face....she understands there is no cure : and she loves me.
Denny
don_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 07:57 AM   #15
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Darn Denny
We never made it out last night...yer not cheatin on me are ya ? LOL

Acutally I was out in the garden finally weeding it.
Dern ol foxtail weeds had taken it over, but all clean now,,wanna hit it tonight?
I hope this feeding benge the critters are on will last, we are looking at some cooler weather comming in tonight, barometer should be changing soon!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.