Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-05, 12:11 AM   #1
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20
Default Targeting Prespawn Bass

Targeting Prespawn Bass

I was asked once if I had a favorite seasonal pattern.One that I prefered above all others.
I thought about it a minute. Easy. Prespawn. Prespawn generally occurs when the water is between 55
and 62 degrees. It is that one magical time of year when everything comes together for some of the best
bass fishing you will have all year. If you do YOUR part. The key to good prespawn fishing is not in your
lure selection, but in your ability to locate the fish.This is as simple as haveing a basic knowledge of the
species you are after.Remember, this is a transitional pattern. The bass will be moveing.
Since the bass are going to be activly feeding in preperation for the spawn,catching them should be easy.
To locate them, look for key pieces of cover and structure between their deeper winter haunts, and the shallower spawning grounds.For instance, Say you know where there is a cove the bass always spawn in.
Rather than target the back of the cove, or the cover along the shoreline, look for the bass to be staged
along the ends of tapering points near deeper water, near the mouth of the cove, or in bends along the creek channel near the spawning area. The areas closest to the spawning grounds on the deep water side
are generally the best.The bass may suspend near this cover or structure, but they are much easier to catch then the bass that suspend in open water.
My two favorite baits for targeting prespawn bass are a 1/2oz. Lipless Crankbait and a Suspending Jerkbait.
I target the points, and the ends of the points that have the sharpest dropoffs into deeper water with the jerkbait. I will pause it as it comes over the dropoof and many times a bass hanging just off the end will nail it.
I fish the inside bends of the creek channels with the lipless crankbait. I like the inside bends of the channels because this is where the bruch and debris accumulates. I use a Lipless Crank in this situation because it can be counted down on each cast to determine what depth the fish are holding. If you are fishing the bends in the channel and there is current present, fish WITH the current. Bass, being ambush predetors, face into the current to catch prey swept to them.You will get many more strikes by fishing with the current than against it.
Try to imitate baitfish or crawdads with your lure selection.The bass will be activly feeding on the shad and baitfish young born that year, as well as the newly emerging softshell craws.

Good Fishing,
Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-05, 01:18 AM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: Targeting Prespawn Bass

Good info, Charles. Thanks!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-05, 02:41 PM   #3

Charles, I can't thank you enough. I'm new to the Flordia bass seen but have pulled out all the stops for the pre spawn fishing. I go into surgery the 1st of march so it's now or I'll have to waite till may.. Thanks again. Glass man
Old 02-06-05, 03:06 PM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Glassman, good luck on your surgery and come hang out here during your recovery-next best thing to being on the water ;D
Old 02-06-05, 08:38 PM   #5
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Sorry about the surgery... bad time to miss fishing in Fl. Hope all goes well. Getting ready to hopefully nail some big fish at the stick marsh. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 12:50 AM   #6
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo

I'm in northern Georgia, when should the pre-spawn period begin here?

Mid 30's to low 40's at night and mid 50's to low 60's in the day here.

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 11:12 PM   #7
tomthesk8er
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to tomthesk8er

would any of toy reccomend jigging spoons during pre-spawn?
tomthesk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 02:20 AM   #8
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

seaphantom-the air temp really doesn't matter other than warmer air leads to warmer water-it is the water temp. When it starts approaching 60 the ladies start moving shallow.

Jigging spoon for pre-spawn? If they are in deeper water you bet, but if they are starting to move shallow I'd go with a suspending jerkbait or a rat-l-trap.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.