Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-05, 07:04 PM   #1
PackerBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to PackerBasser
Default ,Gut hooked

My bad,I was fishin today,it was raining pretty good so maybe my mind was elsewhere,anyway I felt a tug,waited for another,set the hook,and the fight just felt different.Needless to say I gut hooked her.I operated for a minute or three.held her in the water for a little while,till she bit my thumb and swam off.If I was quick enough what are the chances of survival??
PackerBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 08:23 PM   #2
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI
Default Re: ,Gut hooked

Ocala,
Next time don't operate, just cut the line and they will be just fine. It takes a little time but eventually the hook will dissolve. Actually I have caught fish that have been gut hooked by other anglers and they seem to adapt to the hook.

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 01:17 AM   #3
PackerBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

i had heard that thanks
Old 02-26-05, 02:34 AM   #4
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

What if you have wire cutters in the boat and cut as close to the hook you can get, at least this way they cant get snaged on something under water!

I thought this big protrusion sticking off the bass might have cause for it to get hung up. ???

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 04:13 AM   #5
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

I have hooked a turtle in the mouth so far down that i couldn't remove the hook. I hope it lived I have also caught a bass with a hook in its mouth

Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 08:42 AM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

This is the item I've been talking about on this site forever when it comes to a deep/gill/gut hooked fish. It's a very inexspensive piece of equipment that everyone should have. It removes the hook quickly and easily, without further damaging the fish. I can't tell you how quick and easy it is to use. And how many times I've used it. I have over the last year or 2 tried the pliers, cutters(the angled ones like Rebasser). And they all work, but this is still the first and quickest way to remove the Hook IMO. The line fits into a slot and goes to the center. You then follow the line down to the hook. Once the Ball end goes over the hook, push in to remove hook, then slightly twist it, and slowly pull the line/hook out. Just keep tention on the line as you are doing this. It's super fast, and easy. I can't tell you enough about this .97 cent tool, it is absolutely the best I've found for removing the hooks.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 01:06 PM   #7
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

Ocala, get yourself a de-barb tool. Do a search on line, they are lke 15.00 free shipping, best tool I ever used for either clipping hooks off or removing them. I'm moving down your way in a few months to crystal river, right on Rouseau
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 02:16 PM   #8
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

Lizards,

Thanks for the post. I didn't know they had something like that. I have always used needle nose and i always think that i might be causing the fish more pain trying to get the hook out. I will have 2 try it.

Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 01:50 AM   #9
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

the simplest,fastest way is cut the hook in half.you don't even have to pull the hook out then.it will just fall out.doing it this way i can have a fish back in the water under 10 seconds.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 02:57 AM   #10
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

Lizards..Ihave one of those things in my old tackle box. I think I bought it about 35 years ago. Worked then for mr. I'll have to go dig it out. BassinTom...after cutting the hook do you sorta of help it fall out or just release the fish and let him do this on his own?

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 04:37 PM   #11
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i also have caught bass that had more than one hook in it what pisses me off is some moron will leave 2 feet of line attached.and leave the plastic bait in the fishes mouth.i caught a bass to day that had a 3/0 hook with 10" line hanging out is bung hole i remove the hook and line then released this nice 2 pound bass back to the lake.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 09:16 PM   #12
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

if you can see the point,cut the hook as close to it as possible.the point will fall out.give a tug on your line and the other half will pop out.if you can't see the point just cut as close to the barb as you can.the important thing is to not leave any line hanging out of the fish's mouth.the whole process should take only seconds.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 10:27 PM   #13
PackerBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm holding in my hand one of those hook disengorgers ,thanks lizards,but a long hook cutter sounds good too.thank you all for you're posts.cant wait till I can help someone.we're all in it for the same thing
Old 02-27-05, 11:15 PM   #14
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=zooker link=board=MessBoards;num=1109369046;start=0#10 date=02/27/05 at 14:37:18]i also have caught bass that had more than one hook in it what pisses me off is some moron will leave 2 feet of line attached.and leave the plastic bait in the fishes mouth.i caught a bass to day that had a 3/0 hook with 10" line hanging out is bung hole i remove the hook and line then released this nice 2 pound bass back to the lake.

zooker [/quote]

Perhaps his line just broke ??? Now heres a guy that has been cursed by zooker for years, and all he did was use Ande fishing line Man hope I never break off in a lake your fishing

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 11:41 PM   #15
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Lizards, I have one of those things somewhere but never really used it. Have to dig it out and give it a try. Thanks for the endorsement.

Here's another way but I have never tried it:

http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine...6_HookRemoval/
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 11:22 AM   #16
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishy2002

Reb, i used the "through the gill" method a few days ago. I'ts easy and it worked!
gonefishy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 12:01 PM   #17
wish_for_fish
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree with gammaramma, whom I envy at the moment because he's probably 30 min from my hunting camp. However, when using a plastic worm I always crimp the barb with the pliers. Crimp it don't grind it off, this way it doesn't pull right through your worm when you cast. You will land more fish because you don't have to set the hook as hard to penetrate. If the fish is an active jumper just keep your rod tip down and your line tight. If you haven't tried it please do, most importanly there is less harm done to the fish.
wish_for_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 04:54 PM   #18
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

LizardsRule;
I have to agree on the statement that perhaps the fish broke someones line. I can see that happening with Andi.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 09:53 PM   #19
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

can someone post a picture of pliers or somethin along those lines that will cut through a hook. thanks
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 10:39 PM   #20
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

lizard it was braid

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 07:34 AM   #21
FloridaBassAssassn
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FloridaBassAssassn

I have used the through the gill method of removing hooks in gut hooked fish for years. It works far better then either cutting the line and leaving the hook in which I think is a very bad practice or cutting the hook off. I think that far more fish die from this hook in the gut then live.
I have hook fish that had a hook in them, but it was only a day or so old. Thats why I like the gill method,
but I take it a step farther though as I made a special tool to help in doing this. Â*I just took a small stiff wire and bent a tiny hook on the end. I put that on a small wooden handle to make it easier to hold. I use that to reach in through the gills and hook the line. Pull the line down through it's gills and out about 4" in a loop. I then grab the fish by it's back just behind the gills and hold the loop with the same hand. You must keep the line tight to the hook with that hand. Now you have one hand free to pop the hook out with a pair of needle nose pliers. This works every time and you don't damage the gills trying to run your fingure through there. All fish that I have removed the hook this way were still in good shape at the end of the day in the livewell and were released back into the lake.
FloridaBassAssassn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 08:57 AM   #22
wish_for_fish
BassFishin.Com Member

Fish-N-Fool, I have the same tool except I used the end of a hand throttle cable that came out of a Mack truck. It's also great for pulling the wife's hair out of the bath tub drain. Cannot be too careful around the gills.
wish_for_fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.